ADVERTISEMENT

The Fridge or Robb Smith

RUsojo

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 18, 2010
My recollection of the timeline is a bit hazy as I pop open another holiday beverage, but, as I did so I began to ponder: would Rutgers have been better off ponying up Smith's DC salary and keeping him long term instead of renting Fridge? (Assuming money restrictions made it impossible to do both)

I think there is an argument on both sides. Smith is getting rave reviews down south and all signs indicate an upswing for Arkansas on the horizon. You could clearly see Fridge improved the offense last year but against better teams Rutgers still severely struggled to move the ball. Looking back, I don't think it's unrealistic to suggest similar offensive success could have been had (not necessarily as good but close enough) to perform as whole the same as the team did last year.

I figure most people are kicking off holiday celebrations but I'd like to hear people's thoughts. I'll bump the thread on Monday.

I prefer Smith because of age but there were a couple games on offense where it seemed like we didn't have a gameplan & i expect more from a coach with as much experince as Fridge

Fridge. Both are rentals and no DC would have made our D that much better last year as we lacked talent in key areas. Smith is gone to the NFL as soon as he can.....

Fridge. Both are rentals and no DC would have made our D that much better last year as we lacked talent in key areas. Smith is gone to the NFL as soon as he can.....

Hush your mouth!

Y'all need to leave Robb Smith alone. He still has things to prove before he makes any career moves!

Reactions: demauroj
Hush your mouth!

Y'all need to leave Robb Smith alone. He still has things to prove before he makes any career moves!
While I agree everyone know Smith is an NFL guy. He wants to do x and O's and he's not a fan of recruiting.

neither guy likes/liked recruiting, that's what I would prefer going forward, stack the staff with hafleys. If Mcdaniels works out, you would have to say fridge, because without the one and done with fridge, McDaniels probably isn't the OC

My recollection of the timeline is a bit hazy as I pop open another holiday beverage, but, as I did so I began to ponder: would Rutgers have been better off ponying up Smith's DC salary and keeping him long term instead of renting Fridge? (Assuming money restrictions made it impossible to do both)

I think there is an argument on both sides. Smith is getting rave reviews down south and all signs indicate an upswing for Arkansas on the horizon. You could clearly see Fridge improved the offense last year but against better teams Rutgers still severely struggled to move the ball. Looking back, I don't think it's unrealistic to suggest similar offensive success could have been had (not necessarily as good but close enough) to perform as whole the same as the team did last year.

I figure most people are kicking off holiday celebrations but I'd like to hear people's thoughts. I'll bump the thread on Monday.
Rutgers struggled to move the ball against better teams because the OL wasn't good enough. That wasn't a game planning issue. That's a talent issue. Fridge was instrumental in Nova's improvement, and the overall improvement of the offense. As good a coach as Smith is, he would have had to be a miracle worker to make last year's defense any better.

I am thinking what would be best long term. Fridge for just last year or Smith on the staff and in charge of the defense for 3-4 seasons.

Fridge all day. The impact he had on Nova and the rest of our young QB's and coaching staff can never be taken away from us. I love Smith. LOVE HIM. But our program needed Fridge's brain more than anything. His genius could not be overstated. Also I have faith in young Rossi. I think our defense will surprise a lot of people under him.

Fridge all the way. Without him, Nova would not have improved this prior season, and there's no way in hell we would have been close to 8-5.

ADVERTISEMENT