ADVERTISEMENT

The Knicks just can't find anyone to take their money.

rufeelinit

Heisman Winner
May 16, 2010
Yeah I know they supposedly signed Affalo but when Monroe selects the Bucks over the Knicks you have an image problem. The lure of playing in NYC, at the Garden or with Carmelo doesn't seem too attractive. Some crazy money being thrown around the last two days in the NBA and the numbers are only going higher the next couple of years. If I allow myself to think about the money it is a real turnoff. $60MM for Amare Carroll? $70MM for somebody named Middleton in Milwaukee?

The Knicks didn't offer a max deal to Monroe (thank god), which Milwaukee did.

The Knicks didn't offer a max deal to Monroe (thank god), which Milwaukee did.

The way things are going a max deal today will look like a bargain in two years. Besides Monroe signed a 3 year max deal with a player option on the third. That's considerably less than an Amare or Melo max deal.

The way things are going a max deal today will look like a bargain in two years. Besides Monroe signed a 3 year max deal with a player option on the third. That's considerably less than an Amare or Melo max deal.

Monetarily, I agree, the max money is not the same max from a few years ago, but still feel they made the right offer. He's not worth that money.

I think Melo in the post with a big who can defend the rim is a much better attack anyway.

I do like the Afflalo signing though.

I think there is now a requirement either this year or next year where all NBA teams will have a minimum "floor" of salary on their books....so you cannot just load up on rookies and free agents and try and have 70M of the 100M cap space available to offer 3 max contracts.....Phil Jackson is going to wind up having to trade for an existing contract/player that can play but has a contract that allows them to get to the minimum. I think if the cap goes to 90M, the floor for all teams may be 80% of the 90M or you need to carry at least 72M of salary on your books.

It's going to make it difficult for the Knicks to rebuild if someone doesn't take their money to go along with Carmelo, Afflalo etc....They were probably better off keeping and signing Tyson Chandler vs dumping him on Dallas....Chandler got 4/52M from PHX, but Knicks probably could have given him 4/56 or 60M and at least kept some defense in the paint.

I think there is now a requirement either this year or next year where all NBA teams will have a minimum "floor" of salary on their books....so you cannot just load up on rookies and free agents and try and have 70M of the 100M cap space available to offer 3 max contracts.....Phil Jackson is going to wind up having to trade for an existing contract/player that can play but has a contract that allows them to get to the minimum. I think if the cap goes to 90M, the floor for all teams may be 80% of the 90M or you need to carry at least 72M of salary on your books.

It's going to make it difficult for the Knicks to rebuild if someone doesn't take their money to go along with Carmelo, Afflalo etc....They were probably better off keeping and signing Tyson Chandler vs dumping him on Dallas....Chandler got 4/52M from PHX, but Knicks probably could have given him 4/56 or 60M and at least kept some defense in the paint.

Agreed regarding Chandler. I have never understood what appeared to be Jackson's disdain for Chandler. A quality player who rebounds and plays defense well (and is at least competent on offense).

Afflao appears to be a solid value signing.

Looks like Robin Lopez is next once DeAndre Jordan officially tells the Knicks he is not interested. Let's see what the terms are for this signing. I assume most of the rest of the roster will be constructed with players on one year deals to allow max flexibility again next year. Not sure I understand how a floor precludes you from loading up on one year deals for about half your roster. The Knicks will be bad again and have no first round pick. If they were going to blow this thing up they should not have signed Melo and gave him a no trade clause. Now he will dictate the terms on whether he stays and where he goes. That will be another circus.

Good points Hawk, with the possible exception of the word "rebuild." I'd just say "build." The Knicks have had two winning seasons in the past 15 years, and haven't won it all in over 40 years. "The future is now" has killed them since forever. But if anybody has the smarts to build a real winner, it's Jackson. Should be fun to watch!

The NY Knicks are Phil Jackson's Golden Parachute.

Amazing to see 2 franchises like the Knicks and Lakers among the NBA's worst with little hope of improvement in the next 2 years.

Looks like the Knicks are signing Robin Lopez. Love the move. Better fit than Jordan or Monroe.

I would have liked Monroe but they are probably better off blowing this up entirely and not tying up money in future years for Monroe. Now if they can only find someone to take Melo....preferably ASAP since his value keep dropping.

That ship has sailed for Melo. I know it would not have been popular, but I would not have given Melo the max contract. Melo is a scorer and could help a team with talent, but he is not like Lebron who makes his team mates better. It would have been better to have blown it up last year, maybe deal melo for a pick. THe knicks lost with Melo, they certainly could lose without him. I get the whole its new york thing, they have to have a star for MSG, but for the interest of building a team for the future, it was not a wise move, IMO, to build around melo.

Why would anyone in their right mind want to play with Melo? Dude is an overrated bum that doesn't pass the ball.

The worst thing that Franchise did was resign him. But Knicks fans are blindly in love with Melo they will never say that.

And we beat Melo in his 1 year. Juice Cuse!

Why would anyone in their right mind want to play with Melo? Dude is an overrated bum that doesn't pass the ball.

The worst thing that Franchise did was resign him. But Knicks fans are blindly in love with Melo they will never say that.

And we beat Melo in his 1 year. Juice Cuse!
I don't think Knick fans are blindly in love with Melo. Most see him for what he is. I would say that if Melo requested a trade and there was a market to bring a decent return many Knick fans would not object at this point. The question is what constitutes a decent return.

$70MM for somebody named Middleton in Milwaukee?

Gotta admit I chuckled when you described Khris Middleton as "somebody named Middleton in Milwaukee". 22 year old with 2 straight seasons knocking down > 40% behind the arc and one of the better wing defenders in the league. He's not a star, but he's in that notch just below of really good players that are also extremely efficient on both ends. He's also part of the reason Greg Monroe chose Milwaukee over New York. Why play with Carmelo and some rejects when you could play with Jabari Parker, Giannis Antetokounmpo, and Middleton that are all young and extremely talented and could make major waves in the Eastern Conference the next few years? If Parker comes back healthy and the Greek Freak keeps improving Milwaukee might be the 2nd or 3rd best team in the East as soon as next season.

Gotta admit I chuckled when you described Khris Middleton as "somebody named Middleton in Milwaukee". 22 year old with 2 straight seasons knocking down > 40% behind the arc and one of the better wing defenders in the league. He's not a star, but he's in that notch just below of really good players that are also extremely efficient on both ends. He's also part of the reason Greg Monroe chose Milwaukee over New York. Why play with Carmelo and some rejects when you could play with Jabari Parker, Giannis Antetokounmpo, and Middleton that are all young and extremely talented and could make major waves in the Eastern Conference the next few years? If Parker comes back healthy and the Greek Freak keeps improving Milwaukee might be the 2nd or 3rd best team in the East as soon as next season.

And I certainly will admit that I am not following the NBA that closely these days. It does seem like the Bucks are assembling a nice group of core players. The thing is these guys are getting so much money the don't need to worry about outside endorsement opportunities (that NYC might offer) and want to be on a winning team. As I heard one analyst explain the prospect of playing on a losing team in the Garden for a couple of years is not attractive. Thanks for the education on Middleton.

The thing is these guys are getting so much money the don't need to worry about outside endorsement opportunities (that NYC might offer) and want to be on a winning team.

The thing is being on the Knicks doesn't really offer any more endorsement opportunities than anywhere else like it used to. With social media, players develop their own "brands" now. Kevin Durant has spent his entire career in Seattle and Oklahoma City and he might do more commercials than anybody not named LeBron.

ADVERTISEMENT