ADVERTISEMENT

The New Recruiting Paradigm...

Drsupremo

Redshirt
Feb 15, 2010
It seems like Jordan and his staff have finally settled on a new recruiting paradigm.

For years we have concentrated on the Big Fish -- the NJ superstars, and to a lesser extent their NYC counterparts -- and we have continually whiffed. We have come in second place more times than Avis has -- you might remember the famous advertising campaign “When you’re only No. 2, you try harder, or else.” Well we are not even number 2 in the NYC-NJ market. At present, the only D-1 team worse than Rutgers -- IMO -- is FDU!

Although it would be wonderful if all the high level, local talent wanted to stay home at their State University. But unfortunately -- Rutgers is in New Jersey -- not Michigan -- meaning no matter where you live in NJ (or for that matter in NYC) you are never more than 2 hours from the campus. Apparently this is a major negative for any 18-19 year old coddled superstar, particularly when they arrive on campus and gaze at the RAC -- an oversized lunar landing craft. When you really look at our situation from an objective standpoint, however, it is hard to really blame our local superstars for not coming to the Banks. Who wouldn't prefer to travel to far away lands where you play in on-campus arenas that are bigger and better than MSG?

That's where the new recruiting paradigm comes into play. The new mantra seems to be -- "forget about NJ and concentrate on Florida, DC/Maryland, NC and players that Jordan has a personal connection with -- the DC Assault alumni team and children of NBA greats. Imagine growing up in rural Florida? Wouldn't you like to play in the BIG 10 and be 30 miles from NYC? If Rutgers ever has a winning program, they will light up the Empire State Building again.

Although it would be great if every great player from this area wanted to go to Rutgers -- they seem to have no interest in coming. Rather than constantly coming in second place and settling for one dimensional players that are not good enough to play at this level, let's concentrate on players who live in those areas that are far away from Rutgers -- so coming to NJ is like a big adventure. I am very interested in seeing how our Florida contingent works out. I think we will be mining this area for many years. Once we have a successful season or two with our out of state players, the local players will begin to show more interest.

Time will tell...

It seems like Jordan and his staff have finally settled on a new recruiting paradigm.

For years we have concentrated on the Big Fish -- the NJ superstars, and to a lesser extent their NYC counterparts -- and we have continually whiffed. We have come in second place more times than Avis has -- you might remember the famous advertising campaign “When you’re only No. 2, you try harder, or else.” Well we are not even number 2 in the NYC-NJ market. At present, the only D-1 team worse than Rutgers -- IMO -- is FDU!

Although it would be wonderful if all the high level, local talent wanted to stay home at their State University. But unfortunately -- Rutgers is in New Jersey -- not Michigan -- meaning no matter where you live in NJ (or for that matter in NYC) you are never more than 2 hours from the campus. Apparently this is a major negative for any 18-19 year old coddled superstar, particularly when they arrive on campus and gaze at the RAC -- an oversized lunar landing craft. When you really look at our situation from an objective standpoint, however, it is hard to really blame our local superstars for not coming to the Banks. Who wouldn't prefer to travel to far away lands where you play in on-campus arenas that are bigger and better than MSG?

That's where the new recruiting paradigm comes into play. The new mantra seems to be -- "forget about NJ and concentrate on Florida, DC/Maryland, NC and players that Jordan has a personal connection with -- the DC Assault alumni team and children of NBA greats. Imagine growing up in rural Florida? Wouldn't you like to play in the BIG 10 and be 30 miles from NYC? If Rutgers ever has a winning program, they will light up the Empire State Building again.

Although it would be great if every great player from this area wanted to go to Rutgers -- they seem to have no interest in coming. Rather than constantly coming in second place and settling for one dimensional players that are not good enough to play at this level, let's concentrate on players who live in those areas that are far away from Rutgers -- so coming to NJ is like a big adventure. I am very interested in seeing how our Florida contingent works out. I think we will be mining this area for many years. Once we have a successful season or two with our out of state players, the local players will begin to show more interest.

Time will tell...

UNC won it's first National Championship in 1957 with alot of players from NY & NJ:
Name
# Position Height Year Home Town
Pete Brennan 35 Forward 6–6 Junior Brooklyn, NY
Bob Cunningham 20 Guard 6–4 Junior New York, NY
Stan Groll 43 Guard 6–0 Junior Brooklyn, NY
Bill Hathaway 30 Center 6–11 Sophomore Long Beach, NY
Gehrmann Holland 31 Forward 6–3 Sophomore Beaufort, NC
Tommy Kearns 40 Guard 5–11 Junior Bergenfield, NJ
Danny Lotz 33 Forward 6–7 Sophomore Northport, NY
Joe Quigg 41 Center 6–9 Junior Brooklyn, NY
Tony Radovich 44 Guard 6–2 Senior Hoboken, NJ
Ken Rosemond 11 Guard 5–10 Junior Hillsboro, NC
Lennie Rosenbluth 10 Forward 6–5 Senior Bronx, NY
Ron Searcy 22 Forward 6–4 Junior Draper, NC
Bob Young 20 Center 6–6 Senior Queens, NY

We need to continue to focus recruiting on DC Area south to Florida where it seems EJ has
alot of contacts. We have to do this without totally neglecting NJ players but right now the
top NJ players who could help us improve just think they are too good for RU.

UNC won it's first National Championship in 1957 with alot of players from NY & NJ:
Name
# Position Height Year Home Town
Pete Brennan 35 Forward 6–6 Junior Brooklyn, NY
Bob Cunningham 20 Guard 6–4 Junior New York, NY
Stan Groll 43 Guard 6–0 Junior Brooklyn, NY
Bill Hathaway 30 Center 6–11 Sophomore Long Beach, NY
Gehrmann Holland 31 Forward 6–3 Sophomore Beaufort, NC
Tommy Kearns 40 Guard 5–11 Junior Bergenfield, NJ
Danny Lotz 33 Forward 6–7 Sophomore Northport, NY
Joe Quigg 41 Center 6–9 Junior Brooklyn, NY
Tony Radovich 44 Guard 6–2 Senior Hoboken, NJ
Ken Rosemond 11 Guard 5–10 Junior Hillsboro, NC
Lennie Rosenbluth 10 Forward 6–5 Senior Bronx, NY
Ron Searcy 22 Forward 6–4 Junior Draper, NC
Bob Young 20 Center 6–6 Senior Queens, NY

We need to continue to focus recruiting on DC Area south to Florida where it seems EJ has
alot of contacts. We have to do this without totally neglecting NJ players but right now the
top NJ players who could help us improve just think they are too good for RU.

Credit North Carolina for going to NYC to get a HC that coul;d get NYC area players.
Getting Frank McGuire to leave St John's for North Carolina started the NYC to Tobacco Road pipeline
that made NC a dominate force in the ACC and set the stage for Frank's successor Dean Smith being
so successful as the Tar Heels HC.
People forget those who set the stage for coaches like Smith and McGuire was one of the best recruiters as well as
game day coach.
[/QUOTE]

This isn't the football team. You can sell staying home with the football team. The best basketball players are thinking college is a quick pitstop to the NBA. They could care less about where it is.

Right now we just got to get good. I could care less where the players come from. Once we start to get a couple of postseasons under our belt then we can sell that we can be that pitstop as you play for a decent team.

Time will tell...

Time will tell...

We have more than a generation of data that recruiting locally does not work. It goes way beyond facilities. Mostly doormat status perception to every talented hoops player and their family and coach and family/player advisor in this area.

Last edited:
This isn't the football team. You can sell staying home with the football team. The best basketball players are thinking college is a quick pitstop to the NBA. They could care less about where it is.

Right now we just got to get good. I could care less where the players come from. Once we start to get a couple of postseasons under our belt then we can sell that we can be that pitstop as you play for a decent team.

But I think there is a bit of this going on in football, too. Unless and until Rutgers becomes a consistently winning program, in any sport, we need to fill out the roster with kids who want to be here, no matter where they are from. It's just a different situation here. You have to overcome decades and generations of the best players needing to go out of state to play at the pinnacle of their sport. Pride in the state and the state university is almost non-existent. although it's getting better with the younger generation. But these kids are negatively recruited by their own parents, for goodness sake.

But I think there is a bit of this going on in football, too. Unless and until Rutgers becomes a consistently winning program, in any sport, we need to fill out the roster with kids who want to be here, no matter where they are from. It's just a different situation here. You have to overcome decades and generations of the best players needing to go out of state to play at the pinnacle of their sport. Pride in the state and the state university is almost non-existent. although it's getting better with the younger generation. But these kids are negatively recruited by their own parents, for goodness sake.

Believe practically every program at every Univ strives to land players that "want to be here or there"...but obviously, even best intentions don't always work (hence transfers in every sport from every program).

And yes, with TV Coverage now for almost every team for football and basketball, the zip code players come from means less and less these days...as parents/relatives/friends can basically catch almost every game on TV.

Hardest thing for coaches to do is build a program with players that can work together...as in most cases, its just a best guess.

Seels, great point. Ej has been forced go after lesser known names. I think he has had a lot of success in finding diamond in the rough players. Recently i've been having a feeling Laurent is going to do well for us. Something about the kid and his relentless ability to attack the hoop. Also, as long as fundamentals are taught, athleticism is at an all time high on this court.

I would think it didn't take 24 years to realize that top NJ basketball recruits aren't likely to stay home.There is a total disconnect between top NJ recruits and Rutgers so there really is no other option to get the best players available than to look elsewhere.Of course,distance translates to increased costs for recruiting.

Seels, great point. Ej has been forced go after lesser known names. I think he has had a lot of success in finding diamond in the rough players. Recently i've been having a feeling Laurent is going to do well for us. Something about the kid and his relentless ability to attack the hoop. Also, as long as fundamentals are taught, athleticism is at an all time high on this court.

"Finding diamond in the rough players" is a good way to start building a top program, but getting those Diamonds is the best way to stay a top program.

I would think it didn't take 24 years to realize that top NJ basketball recruits aren't likely to stay home.There is a total disconnect between top NJ recruits and Rutgers so there really is no other option to get the best players available than to look elsewhere.Of course,distance translates to increased costs for recruiting.
Not just increased costs, but decreased familiarity, and more local competition (i.e. RU might be at a huge disadvantage with other local schools for NJ players, but we are probably also at a disadvantage for local schools in other regions as well.)

Jordan HAS gone for the gold. He just hasn't put all his eggs into that basket. Just continued to sign what looks like GOOD players and if the Briscoe type finally comes, we'll be ready for him.

And I want to hear the championship-type coach that gets his roster locally. Pitino, Cal, Self, K, Donovan, Ryan, Izzo, Williams, Boeheim, wright....shall I go on? When a top-flight Jersey recruit comes here in the future it won't be because we're a NJ school; It'll be because we're winners, can get him to the Dance, get him to the NBA. And unless we can get coaches like Vitale and Valvano, performance will rule.

Florida helped turn around football. Now my new home state will do the same for hoops. Within 2 years we'll be talking about Sanders and Laurent the same way we do about Ryan Hart and Eric Foster!

Higgins -- I agree with the original OP and I hope that the southern strategy works. RU certainly seems to have a better brand the farther away you get from NJ. Now, you say that Jordan has had a "lot of success" in finding diamonds in the rough. Who? All of his first class is gone. Williams and Foreman were non-factors as frosh. So, which diamonds have been successes in Years 1 and 2?

Definitely better as we move farther away. Diamonds in the rough- players with the right size for the big ten and who seem to be decent people. Williams-defender that averages 6.3 ppg and 2.2 rpg. Foreman, had a couple big games and never averaged over 15 or so minutes.

78, the future looks better if we're realistic with ourselves. Who do you expect EJ to recruit here? 4-5 stars? Please be honest.

Got the size, got some skill, and now we attempt at building. Ej got nigel johnson,sanders, laurent, rjohnson, diallo, all of these players are pretty decent. They have the size we need to compete at this level and can defend a 2-3 spot guy. Versatile. I am being more realistic these days. I am happy with who EJ has got because I don't know who we could expect at this point. No faciltiies, lack of record. Look at how Buzz Williams did this year at Vtech. Terrible.

Higgins -- sorry, maybe we're talking apples and oranges. I don't think a kid can be called a diamond in the rough until he produces in games. You are using the term to refer to kids who haven't played in a college game. I hope that you're right and that a year from now they will have all played like diamonds and not coal or zircomium. The bball program could use a couple of playmakers like football found in under-recruited kids like Longa or Sanu.

I hear you 78. Maybe these kids can be that. I try to look for something positive when it's there. I think the kids we brought in have a purpose. Size and a specific skill set. I hope it works out and we get some wins out of these kids.

EJ could've won this past year and maybe recruiting would've been easier. Still, Rutgers is a place that won't see 4-5 star kids until we get a 18+ win season and facilities. Until then, well get these kinds of kids. I like these players though.

I hear you 78. Maybe these kids can be that. I try to look for something positive when it's there. I think the kids we brought in have a purpose. Size and a specific skill set. I hope it works out and we get some wins out of these kids.

EJ could've won this past year and maybe recruiting would've been easier. Still, Rutgers is a place that won't see 4-5 star kids until we get a 18+ win season and facilities. Until then, well get these kinds of kids. I like these players though.

That's why Recruiting criticism is so baffling and is proof that so many have an agenda. Rutgers has had about seven 4 star players in 20 years yet some expect Jordan to come and automatically get top players.

More evidence to add to more than a generation of data. Recruiting metro area is futile. Try again after 5 or 6 years of sustained success.

I don't know if this is a shift in a new type of recruiting paradigm, but I like the fact that we are in different territories than before. I also like that we need to look at more of the secondary players instead of "whiffing" on the elite players in the local metropolitan area and then end up with nothing.

Rutgers can build IMO a very successful program over the next 5-7 years without getting any elite players from NJ or NY to stay home. And then when the program becomes a regular NCAA program, which I still believe it can, and the facilities become first-rate, then will see a new "paradigm shift" in keeping the local elite players home.

This is exactly the shift in recruiting that I was referring to.

Haven't we read countless stories about how this RU coach or the other hasn't sidled up to this local coach or local AAU program, etc.? As if that really matters.

Don't focus on these local superstars. I could care less if the NJ AAU coaches like us or not. The U.S. is a big country. Go elsewhere and even the Canary Islands.

I want us to recruit the same players that the mid to lower majors recruit -- like Florida Gulf or the other no names schools regularly do. These players are way better than the players we have been settling for, in large part, over the last 10 years. Once we have a decent team, the superstars will follow.

Let's get a few athletes that can create their own shots, make a few, play defense and rebound. If they are smart and can hit their foul shots that is a bonus!

Is this really a new paradigm or just how this particular class worked out? Didn't Jordan recruit NJ players and just not get them? And haven't former RU coaches weighted some of their recruiting toward their own local area before? Gary Waters comes to mind.

Reactions: rutgersal
This is exactly the shift in recruiting that I was referring to.

Haven't we read countless stories about how this RU coach or the other hasn't sidled up to this local coach or local AAU program, etc.? As if that really matters.

Don't focus on these local superstars. I could care less if the NJ AAU coaches like us or not. The U.S. is a big country. Go elsewhere and even the Canary Islands.

I want us to recruit the same players that the mid to lower majors recruit -- like Florida Gulf or the other no names schools regularly do. These players are way better than the players we have been settling for, in large part, over the last 10 years. Once we have a decent team, the superstars will follow.

Let's get a few athletes that can create their own shots, make a few, play defense and rebound. If they are smart and can hit their foul shots that is a bonus!

Those players at the mid to lower majors are better players than the ones RU has been settling for because they improve and develop; two things that haven't happened with most players at RU for the better part of 2 decades.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT