ADVERTISEMENT

The old board vs. this new one.

Is it just me? I myself liked the old board better than this new one. I found it easier to navigate and was very much use to it.

It isn't just you. The new board sucks and I have come here much less frequently because of it. There are often times that I reconsider posting what I've written on a thread and navigate away from the entry page. When I come back, the post is still in the editor so I have to physically delete what I wrote. The most annoying feature of the new board is that it opens threads where you left off. Because a multi-page thread is presented in one page, you see too many replies where you have to navigate up to refresh your memory of the context. That essentially forces you to work more when opening a thread you've previously visited. It is going to be much, much worse once football season kicks off and there are many more threads you visit. The old board was a C+ and this version is a C- in my opinion.

Reactions: bac2therac
As much as I like the new board, I don't look past the first 3 or 4 thread topics now. I come to the website a dozen times a day, look at the first 3 or 4 thread topics and then just close out.

I have no idea why that is.

(There is something about the new board though. I does seem very busy and not easy on the eyes. I guess that is why I quick look if there is an interesting new topic and then quickly close the site)

Last edited:
Reactions: bac2therac
As much as I like the new board, I don't look past the first 3 or 4 thread topics now. I come to the website a dozen times a day, look at the first 3 or 4 thread topics and then just close out.

(There is something about the new board though. I does seem very busy and not easy on the eyes. I guess that is why I quick look if there is an interesting new topic and then quickly close the sight)

What the two above said....Difficult to navigate and despite all the white.. way too busy and tough to read.

New website is NSFW. I can't hide all the damn avatars by adjusting the window frame like I used to.

Reactions: RUJohnny99
I look at a lot less threads on the new boards. Posting is also way down in general on the new boards.
The avatars are distracting and too big.
Old boards were better.

Why in a grey background would you pick grey as the color of the poster's names? You can't see who posted while you are scrolling. Bad choice.

It isn't just you. The new board sucks and I have come here much less frequently because of it. There are often times that I reconsider posting what I've written on a thread and navigate away from the entry page. When I come back, the post is still in the editor so I have to physically delete what I wrote. The most annoying feature of the new board is that it opens threads where you left off. Because a multi-page thread is presented in one page, you see too many replies where you have to navigate up to refresh your memory of the context. That essentially forces you to work more when opening a thread you've previously visited. It is going to be much, much worse once football season kicks off and there are many more threads you visit. The old board was a C+ and this version is a C- in my opinion.

Those are literally my two favorite features of the new board. If you type something and navigate away, it isn't lost. And no more need to scroll through an entire thread (especially when they hit 2 pages) to try to figure out where you left off.

That said, they do already have the blue dot and a button to bring you to the first unread message, so I am not sure why clicking the link doesn't just bring you to the top of the thread. It seems the link, the blue dot, and the button all do the same thing. Why the blue dot if it isnt unique in any way.

psch. 101 and thing new is not liked very much.... give it six months and everyone will love it...

I tend to wonder what browsers people use to view the boards. I have a feeling there are some AOL users out there lol.

Reactions: SHUSource
Is it just me? I myself liked the old board better than this new one. I found it easier to navigate and was very much use to it.
It's not just you, there are plenty of us old sharts, around. I feel that the youngins change
things for just for the sake of change. However there are some good features with this new board, and there are some issues that need to be corrected. I like the comment about the
gray signature on the gray background,:) for one that bothers my old eyes.

You can disable the feature that takes you to last post read.....

I like it, but can't get from forum to forum using firefox. Works fine with chrome.

New board format works infinitely better in mobile format on a phone or device. Access to entire site and no more scrolling endlessly though hundreds of posts in a thread.

I liked the new board format more than the old one the first time I saw it and as I get used to how it works (and looks), I like it even more.

To those who dislike things like the "wasted" white-space, the color of the usernames, or other style-related things, you can easily tweak that stuff all you want if you're willing to use Firefox and the Stylish plugin which lets you customize the styling of any website. Another poster already posted some CSS to eliminate the excess white-space for this forum.

Firefox is free, coexists with any other browser you already have, and has like a billion useful, free plugins (including Stylish). And if you do online banking or online shopping, you should be using Firefox with the free NoScript plugin anyway, especially those of you who like to visit the, uh, more interesting areas of the internet if you know what I mean.

There may be similar plugins for IE or Chrome that allow CSS customization as well.

So stop whining about the how the board looks, spend the 5 minutes it takes to install Firefox and the Stylish plugin (or find a similar plugin for your favorite browser) and I'll personally help each and every one of you tweak the forum style to look exactly like you want it to look.

Edit: Stylish supports Chrome as well, in case you prefer that browser to Firefox. Not sure about IE for those of you who insist on using it.

Last edited:

I'd call that the best feature; this way you can go directly to the new comments without scrolling through a bunch of stuff you already read. I find it makes me work less. Different strokes.

I agree that the save draft feature, while potentially useful, will more often be annoying.

Overall, I agree it has some quirks, but I like the new design better. The old design was in horrible need of an update and this does solve some of the problems of that version's archaic construction. Still, it does lack some features that a modern website should offer.

(There is something about the new board though. I does seem very busy and not easy on the eyes. I guess that is why I quick look if there is an interesting new topic and then quickly close the site)
Me too. And I like the old unis better too. Red hat,red jersey and white pants.(where the hell are the smiley faces when I need one?)

There is WAY TOO much dead space on the new format. Just look at the few posts above. Takes too long to scroll and you don't see as many topic threads or posts.

I give up. There's no helping someone on an internet forum if that someone doesn't like to read.

Yes I'll jump right in with that stylish plug in! Who knew plug ins were so stylish and what does the fox(fire) say?

Yes I'll jump right in with that stylish plug in! Who knew plug ins were so stylish and what does the fox(fire) say?

Actually, my comment wasn't aimed at you - was aimed at the post just above mine where it was obvious the poster didn't bother to read that there's a simple, painless, quick and easy solution to his problems with the new board.

I like the "what does the fox say" reference though.

Reactions: G- RUnit
Dont like the new one.... I have to log in everytime i visit on mobile and then go thru 3 pages to get back to the board...

And ive also noticed a drop in posts

Dont like the new one.... I have to log in everytime i visit on mobile and then go thru 3 pages to get back to the board...

And ive also noticed a drop in posts

The previous Mobile site had Limited thread view, no page functionality, no reply to post functionality,and was confusing to navigate to other parts of the site.

here you are complaining because you are too lazy to learn how to bookmark properly and change your browser settings to auti remember login information.

The site posts are down because nothing interesting is going on. site posts are up on the basketball forum because of a couple of recent signings and fan interest.

content drives the bus not format

I log in, bookmark it, close the browser and click the bookmark it takes me to the forum but i am not logged in... When i click log in, my auto fill name and password are there so i sign in and it takes me to the Rutgers Rivals main page, i then have to click message boards, then rutgers football board and finally back to forum....

If i leave the forum open on browser and click say another espn article to read for a couple minutes and then come back here it refreshes and i am no longer logged on...

No need to be a dick and say i was complaining when i was not... I answered a question with my opinion

I log in, bookmark it, close the browser and click the bookmark it takes me to the forum but i am not logged in... When i click log in, my auto fill name and password are there so i sign in and it takes me to the Rutgers Rivals main page, i then have to click message boards, then rutgers football board and finally back to forum....

If i leave the forum open on browser and click say another espn article to read for a couple minutes and then come back here it refreshes and i am no longer logged on...

No need to be a dick and say i was complaining when i was not... I answered a question with my opinion

Please email me at johnotterstedt@gmail.com and we will figure out why it isn't remembering your login info. That shouldn't be happening.

My head admittedly spins reading these responses. Lol. I just want to argue with BAC on hoops. ;-)

I think it's amazing that the old board had as much staying power as it did for sooooo many years. Still didn't think there was much wrong with it. New board is okay. I like the quoted stuff in the boxes and the like button. Otherwise, liked the more compact nature of the old board a little better.

That wasn't "staying power;" that was Rivals was too cheap and lazy to upgrade. How they could charge money while offering that poor aproduct remains a mystery to me.

I agree with the complaints that the board is too busy....Mods is there a way that they could just highlight a thread when someone new posts, but still leave it in the location by date it was started? I feel like I must be missing new posts, because if I go to page 8 and comment it shows up first on the list when you first open the RT. That way, those interested in the topic can read what they want and all others can read the board like we always have.....

The old board freggin sucked ass. You guys probably miss black and white TV too.

I actually like how easy it is to post gifs and photos.....just find it harder to read without wasting time re reading threads....yes I am an "older guy" but I do know my way around a keyboard....The app is sloppy at this point, but could be vastly improved with a few minor tweaks....Jus sayin...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT