ADVERTISEMENT

The Power 5 is dead...

Scarlet_Scourge

Hall of Famer
May 25, 2012
Long live the Autonomy Five, that is the new official name for the group of (B1G, SEC, PAC-12, BIG12, ACC plus associate member UND).

I saw that yesterday. I guess they thought that the name Power 5 made it sound like some conferences were powerful and others were weak. And I understand the name Autonomy 5 because these conferences get to make some autonomous rules. But I can't believe they couldn't come up with a better name.

Interesting. Hadn't seen that, and do agree the name is a bit awkward sounding.

Have a feeling, though, that if that's now the official name of our group of conferences, a lot more people will simply refer to it as the "A5", 'cause somehow the full "Autonomy 5" thing doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I saw that yesterday. I guess they thought that the name Power 5 made it sound like some conferences were powerful and others were weak. And I understand the name Autonomy 5 because these conferences get to make some autonomous rules. But I can't believe they couldn't come up with a better name.

I think you are right on the money with that reasoning. The name Power 5 could be seen as insulting to the other 5 FBS conferences and independents. The name just follows the "just call it what it is" way of labeling, like the creatively named College Football Playoff.

Ditto. Horrible name. I know Big Five has always referred to the Philly college hoops teams, but use of that term has faded enough that they probably could have used it.

High_five.png

I wish someone had provided a link or source. I haven't seen or heard about this anywhere, or even that this is official.

I wish someone had provided a link or source. I haven't seen or heard about this anywhere, or even that this is official.

The term was used in the B10 media days when indicating that each B10 team will schedule intersectional OOC football games against teams from other Autonomy Five conferences.

The lame 5 would be a better name.
The misfit toys should be them name for those outside the lame 5.

AUTONOMY 5 really SUKS.(NO I am not coming up with a better one)

How about calling them the "Organization of Power Encompassing Conferences".

If you prefer you can shorten it to "OPEC". It is, after all a cartel.

So it appears the name "Autonomy" is an official NCAA term, adopted as part of the new D1 governance model last year. The Autonomy System gives autonomy in certain rulemaking circumstances to the ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, PAC-12, and SEC and their 65 member institutions (with Notre Dame counting as part of the ACC). The 5 conferences that are part of the Autonomy System are known as Autonomy Conferences, and the 65 schools are known as Autonomy Schools. BYU is not part of the Autonomy System.

See link for usage example: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/autonomy-schools-adopt-cost-attendance-scholarships

BYU is not part of the A5 and does not get play-off money like the A5 schools.

However the B1G will allow them to be a sub instead of playing an A5 ooc game for schools who schedule them.

What a stupid group name. I'm just glad RU wasn't in the B1G when they had the Leaders and Legends divisions. Who comes up with this stuff?

How is it "wussification" to change the NCAA D1 governance rules to create an Autonomy System allowing some conferences autonomy in setting rules?

The wussification part is changing the name from Power 5 to Autonomy 5 so the Group of 5 conferences (aka mid major conferences)don't get offended.

Reactions: Bagarocks
Why not make it in a 8-team playoff with A5 champions guaranteed a spot, one G5 spot, and two at-large.

Then u dont need silly names

MONEY. So in order to do that they would need to shorten the regular season. There is no way in hell that will ever happen since school would lose millions by doing that and most will never get to the playoffs anyway. So why would they agree to that?

Why should the G5 get a spot? The Big 12 and UND don't have championship games and thus no real champion. The Pac-12 only has 12 teams, the SEC and Big Ten have 14 but the SEC only play 8 conference games and play FCS games late in the season, their OOC games are played mostly at home or neutral sites. The Big Ten will play 9 conference and no FCS games soon. The ACC is basically two good football schools and a bunch of bottom feeders who sometimes have a good year. So you see, champions are not equal. The current system is about picking the 4 best teams no matter what, it has only been around for only one year and some people already wants to scrap it. I think that the 4 correct teams made it in last year.

The wussification part is changing the name from Power 5 to Autonomy 5 so the Group of 5 conferences (aka mid major conferences)don't get offended.

I suggested that was the reason, but I was wrong. As I later posted, the Autonomy System is the official NCAA term for the autonomous rule making system. Calling conferences in the Autonomy System as Autonomy Conferences is no different than calling conferences in the BCS system as BCS Conferences.

Then why weren't they called autonomy conferences from the beginning?
I still believe this is "PC" driven cuz the term "Power 5" is condescending to others whom ever they be.
You would think if the wrong identification was used the NCAA would have corrected the ID of the conferences rather quickly.

Power Five ( or Power) Conferences, was that the official name before Autonomy Conferences became the new official name ?

Then why weren't they called autonomy conferences from the beginning?

They were, from the time the Autonomy governance model was adopted last August, and even before, when the governance model was proposed. The "Autonomy" terminology is part of the official documents creating the Autonomy System. The word "Autonomy" is used because the whole point of the new NCAA governance is to give the conferences that are part of the System autonomy in making rules without having to get full NCAA approval.

What a stupid group name. I'm just glad RU wasn't in the B1G when they had the Leaders and Legends divisions. Who comes up with this stuff?

Which do you think we would have been, a 'Legend' or a 'Leader?'

I vote Legend!

ADVERTISEMENT