ADVERTISEMENT

The QB's

RUfan96

Redshirt
Apr 15, 2015
I'm curious as to what the thought is on this years offense since aside from Caroo and our RB's, basically the entire offense is new personel. Personally, I think Laviano will end up the week one starter but obviously it's waaaaaay too early to make any predictions, I just worry about this Rettig kid since 2 years in a row he was beat out my freshman for the backup job at LSU. I am the complete opposite of a star gazer so the fact that Rettig was the higher ranked prospect out of high school does nothing for me. Based on HS tape, I feel like Rettig has the stronger arm and can make more throws and is definitely the better pro prospect, but if you watch his hs tape he's a statue in the pocket. With our o-line replacing 3 starters, Laviano (again based on HS tape) seems to be more elusive and has a better ability to escape pressure and extend plays. I believe for this team this year, Laviano gives us the best chance to win.

I do worry about the offense as a whole because none of us really has a clue what to expect. I'm interested in hearing the thoughts of the members on this board leading up to the spring game.

Go Knights!

Of course there are some big question marks with the offense going into the season. The QB play will be crucial, tough to win games in a major conference if there isn't some decent balance ..especially with a pro style offense. The OL needs to replace 3 starters. Some of these guys have played a bit. I think the RB situation should be very solid, the WRs should be decent..especially if Agudosi comes on like it seems he is. With the QBs..who knows? Rettig is more hyped because he signed with LSU. ESPN actually had Laviano rated a little higher than Rettig coming out of HS. I don't get caught up with HS highlights...they're called highlights for a reason..you don't know the level of competition. With the limited playing time last year ...the one thing I liked about Laviano is he didn't look lost on the field, he didn't seem overwhelmed ..which is a good early sign. Hopefully, the defense is much improved and it could be...there is a lot more experience on that side of the ball and it will have to keep the team in games. I like the two young RBs ..Martin and Hicks..think they will be real good B1G RBs.

Originally posted by RUfan96:
I'm curious as to what the thought is on this years offense since aside from Caroo and our RB's, basically the entire offense is new personel. Personally, I think Laviano will end up the week one starter but obviously it's waaaaaay too early to make any predictions, I just worry about this Rettig kid since 2 years in a row he was beat out my freshman for the backup job at LSU. I am the complete opposite of a star gazer so the fact that Rettig was the higher ranked prospect out of high school does nothing for me. Based on HS tape, I feel like Rettig has the stronger arm and can make more throws and is definitely the better pro prospect, but if you watch his hs tape he's a statue in the pocket. With our o-line replacing 3 starters, Laviano (again based on HS tape) seems to be more elusive and has a better ability to escape pressure and extend plays. I believe for this team this year, Laviano gives us the best chance to win.

I do worry about the offense as a whole because none of us really has a clue what to expect. I'm interested in hearing the thoughts of the members on this board leading up to the spring game.

Go Knights!
Wasn't Retttig at LSU for one season? Also, they changed the O towards a more dual threat type QB and he is not even going to thrive in a system like that. We will be more than fine at WR and I don't think we will see a major drop off on the O line. It will take time to gel and there will be mistakes but I don't think we are returning to the dark days.

Originally posted by vkj91:

Go Knights!
Wasn't Retttig at LSU for one season? Also, they changed the O towards a more dual threat type QB and he is not even going to thrive in a system like that. We will be more than fine at WR and I don't think we will see a major drop off on the O line. It will take time to gel and there will be mistakes but I don't think we are returning to the dark days.

One full season then after spring practice year 2 wasn't going to win the job so he transferred. I'm a little bit scared that our team is going to be a lot like Penn State was last year, meaning an excellent defense, but offensive line struggles leading to offensive struggles as a whole. Yes it's nice to have good rb's but if you don't have guys who can open up holes for them to run through, it wouldn't matter if it was Ray Rice in the backfield.

I also have no idea what we are going to do about TE next year.

The only thing that I am really worried about is our fans choosing sides, while not really knowing who is better, and then eating each QB alive, like we have done soooo many times before.

Originally posted by vkj91:

Go Knights!

One full season then after spring practice year 2 wasn't going to win the job so he transferred. I'm a little bit scared that our team is going to be a lot like Penn State was last year, meaning an excellent defense, but offensive line struggles leading to offensive struggles as a whole. Yes it's nice to have good rb's but if you don't have guys who can open up holes for them to run through, it wouldn't matter if it was Ray Rice in the backfield.

I also have no idea what we are going to do about TE next year.
If we're going to be like Penn State can we at least get Christian Hackenberg?

ADVERTISEMENT