ADVERTISEMENT

The RAC running out of block R's

Piscataway

Senior
Aug 23, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
So I went to the RAC yesterday to pick up a handful of R's for our vehicles. Our old ones were starting to fall apart. I asked for a few and was handed one. When I asked for a few more the young lady in the office said 'we only have 3 left'. After some wrangling, and the go ahead from a person who was out of site, I got another R.

Seems like the story of R's no longer being free may be true regardless of what others have heard from the athletics dept?

They're still handing them out like candy at athletic and alumni events. Maybe they just stopped handing them out by the stack at the ticket office without a ticket purchase.

Reactions: LadyRU09
I'm sure they will still be free with purchase and with season ticketholder materials, but I don't see any reason they need to have an unlimited amount to give away at the RAC counter. One a year should be plenty.

I'm sure they will still be free with purchase and with season ticketholder materials, but I don't see any reason they need to have an unlimited amount to give away at the RAC counter. One a year should be plenty.

This is a poor marketing decision. These things cost pennies and are the single most recognized symbol of the university. We should be mailing them out in mass quantities to all corners of the state. It's not like we are asking for a free shirt or hat. And to say they are free with purchase kinda makes them not free.

Enrolled my Grandson in the Rutgers Junior Knights football camp, it was an eight hour day,
but every time I went for lunch, snacks, or a drink there were stacks of them with the workers
saying yeah go ahead take all you want. So I did. By the way it was a great day, my grandson's coach was Eddie Jordan Jr. who I talked to several times and had lunch with him. Also met and chatted with Hayden Rettig, really impressed me with the way he comes across.

I reached out to Geoff Brown last evening. He replied last night and again this AM. HIs reply:

"I will be getting out more information on the promotional plan for the Block R magnets. We are working on a fun idea. (at least I think it is)"

Rutgers is also working on a TD Club Bus Trip to PSU.

Enrolled my Grandson in the Rutgers Junior Knights football camp, it was an eight hour day,
but every time I went for lunch, snacks, or a drink there were stacks of them with the workers
saying yeah go ahead take all you want. So I did. By the way it was a great day, my grandson's coach was Eddie Jordan Jr. who I talked to several times and had lunch with him. Also met and chatted with Hayden Rettig, really impressed me with the way he comes across.
Had a similar experience with my 6 year old son.

Then I don't get why they aren't freely giving them away at the RAC considering that someone has to take the time out of their day to get them. Myopic

Then I don't get why they aren't freely giving them away at the RAC considering that someone has to take the time out of their day to get them. Myopic

There may have been other issues with handing them out by the stack to anyone who asked at the ticket office (such as students taking them by the hundreds to decorate dorm rooms). The fact that they still hand them out like candy at off-campus events suggests that they want recipients to do more than just walk into the RAC and grab a bunch of magnets.

It's been decided to only give them out to owners of high-end luxury automobiles, so that we can separate ourselves from the rabble that have other college emblems on their cars.

Reactions: Piscataway
I reached out to Geoff Brown last evening. He replied last night and again this AM. HIs reply:

"I will be getting out more information on the promotional plan for the Block R magnets. We are working on a fun idea. (at least I think it is)"

Rutgers is also working on a TD Club Bus Trip to PSU.

Let's guess:
If our prize patrol spots you (with the Block R on the car) filling your tank at a NY/NJ Hess station, you win a pair of tickets to the NSU game and get entered into a drawing for a free year's supply of Hess Gasoline for your car!

It's been decided to only give them out to owners of high-end luxury automobiles, so that we can separate ourselves from the rabble that have other college emblems on their cars.
It is funny you mention that. In my town, it seems you have to have a chrome emblem of your school or you don't put one on. Unless of course, your kid just got a 1/12 scholarship to play lacrosse.

It is funny you mention that. In my town, it seems you have to have a chrome emblem of your school or you don't put one on. Unless of course, your kid just got a 1/12 scholarship to play lacrosse.
Scarlet Fever has the chrome metallic block R if you want one.

Scarlet Fever has the chrome metallic block R if you want one.

At the fan board advisory meeting tonight, I asked if it was true that it would no longer give out free Block R. I was told that is not true, that it would be beyond stupid to do that. This has been the best marketing tool the athletic dept has.

So block R's will always be around.

Reactions: Sir ScarletKnight
Scarletwoman - thanks for the clarification. But we need to know why they are rationing them at the RAC as if they are running out and not getting any more.

They were giving away as many as you could take at the B1G 10k on Saturday. That's worth the plane trip alone!

They also gave a ton out on Saturday at Rutgers night. Maybe it was just this one person who was rationing on his or her own.

Let's guess:
If our prize patrol spots you (with the Block R on the car) filling your tank at a NY/NJ Hess station, you win a pair of tickets to the NSU game and get entered into a drawing for a free year's supply of Hess Gasoline for your car!
Hess Gasoline? Don't think so. Speedway bought the retail operations of Hess. I don't think you'll be finding a Hess station around here any more.

or maybe they have just been handing them out left and right at so many RU functions and at the RAC itself that they ran out the day you were there and the person at the desk didn't know any better and just said there were not going to be more?

Reactions: ATIOH
Hess Gasoline? Don't think so. Speedway bought the retail operations of Hess. I don't think you'll be finding a Hess station around here any more.
We still have Hess stations in New England.
Anyway Hess has been a long-time Rutgers sponsor, which is why I used them in my post.
I think the ribbon scoreboards must have HESS HESS HESS HESS HESS HESS HESS burned in by now.

I would like to see them available for FREE from Cape May to Sussex,Salem to Bergen counties. Try to have them at Shop-Rite (a major Rutgers sponsor), mini-marts,gas stations, sporting goods stores,sports bars, and distribute them to every high school athletic department and youth sports league in New Jersey. Also (maybe we already do this), every family that goes on a tour of any Rutgers campus should get several so they have them for all their cars.

Scarletwoman - thanks for the clarification. But we need to know why they are rationing them at the RAC as if they are running out and not getting any more.

They ran low but are expecting a big shipment either this week or next week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT