ADVERTISEMENT

The Yankees look really bad so far.

knights1212

Heisman Winner
Sep 9, 2003
I know the season is early but I told both of my brother in laws at the end of last season that the Yankees better not get rid of Shane Greene and Brandon McCarthy. Well of course they let both go. McCarthy signed with the Dodgers and Greene was let go to Detroit in a 3 way trade where the Yankees got shortstop Gregarious who has not shown much of anything yet. If they didn't make this deal they could have kept Steven Drew and put him at shortstop and kept Prado at second base who hit over .300 for them last year. So what has happened Greene is 2-0 with an ERA of 0.00 after 16 innings. Instead we have Sabathia, Warren and the pitcher we got from Miami for Prado who are not pitching well. I hope I am wrong but I will be surprised if the Yanks have a winning season this year. George Steinbrennerr wouldn't have stood for this. His son doesn't seem to have the same drive that his father had. The Yankees lineup I don't think scares too many teams. This is not the Yankee team that I have seen since the 1950's.

The Yankees problem is that they did not invest and keep their younger prospects in favor of bigger names and bigger salaries. The game has changed in the last 2 decades and money needs to be allocated wisely and resourcefully. In the last few years, Cashman has finally been able to do this thanks to the new regime. However, it takes years to build up a farm system and as of now, I'm not sure the scouting department is exactly Grade A. It will take a few years for the bloat of the recent free agent signings goes away and leads younger and more team friendly contracts.

So in other words, The methods of the Boss wouldn't work in the current MLB climate. They'd probably be worse. See you in 2017 and things should be better.

George was a godsend in the late 70s gettting Reggie and Catfish. But after 1981 through 1994 he screwed things up more than helping. And actually it was after he was suspended that Gene Michael was able to build the team in the early 90s. Supplemented the team with some key free agent acquisitions - with George's approval - in the late 90s.

The game has changed and the free agent route doesn't seem sustainable.

You need a good minor league system and they are trying to build that up.

Gregorius can't be as bad as he's shown so far. McCann seems like a waste - although the signing seemed to be widely applauded.

A 39 year old Alex Rodriguez is the best Yankee so far which just tells how far the team has fallen in talent.

I am very happy with the sweep over Tampa Bay to get to 6-6. I am very surprised too. it is a very long season and maybe they will stay competitive but than again they might go to Detroit and lay an egg. I still feel that they made a huge mistakle by letting Shane Greene go. The Tigers won again today 9-1 and Greene is now 3-0. I must check the box score to see if he finally gave up an earned run. I can see this kid being good for a long time. With him pitching today I suppose the Yanks won't face him in the upcoming series. That might be a good thing.

I feel the long, long term contracts, is the thing that hurt the Yanks the most.
I remember when free agency first came out the contracts were around three
years, but now 10 years for 32 year olds? That's crazy. And we are paying for it
big time. and I don't mean the money.

Originally posted by JMD77:
George was a godsend in the late 70s gettting Reggie and Catfish. But after 1981 through 1994 he screwed things up more than helping. And actually it was after he was suspended that Gene Michael was able to build the team in the early 90s. Supplemented the team with some key free agent acquisitions - with George's approval - in the late 90s.

Gregorius can't be as bad as he's shown so far. McCann seems like a waste - although the signing seemed to be widely applauded.
Steinbrenner gave the fans 5 World Series Championships and built what was a $10m franchise in to a $2.5b franchise. I agree that the organization carved up their farm teams but how can you possibly think that more important than winning 5 world series'?

Originally posted by lwyrup:

Steinbrenner gave the fans 5 World Series Championships and built what was a $10m franchise in to a $2.5b franchise. I agree that the organization carved up their farm teams but how can you possibly think that more important than winning 5 world series'?
Not for nothing but the Yankees won 7 World Series under Steinbrenner. Just saying ....

Originally posted by Crazed_RU:
Originally posted by lwyrup:

Not for nothing but the Yankees won 7 World Series under Steinbrenner. Just saying ....
My point was along the lines that there was a good Steinbrenner and a bad Steinbrenner and responding to the OP that George's presence now wouldn't necessarily guarantee success.

Winning 5 or 6 or 7 championships was great. But he was an ass and made it hard to root for the team at times. He was a joke with the firing and hiring of managers.

Good George - 1970s with the free agents. Bad George - 1982/3 to the mid 90s. (Fired Dick Howser after winning 103 games, traded some decent young talent for Ken Phelps)

Suspended in 1990-93 and didn't seem to interfere as much in the baseball operations. But I give him credit for that great run from 1996-early 2000s. But I don't believe that he interfered as much after suspension than before.

The game has changed and it seems harder to buy championships now - the reason for my comment regarding a good minor league system. BTW - the most important pieces to that Yankee run in the late 90s etc - Rivera, Jeter, Posada, Williams and Pettite. All from the minor league system. Supplemented by trades and key free agents.

And not to pick nits, George was officially retired before the 2009 championship.

I am very happy with the results so far but I am shocked too. I really thought they would be only about .500 or maybe slightly worse. If everyone stays healthy maybe they can have a very good season. There are still over 130 games to play so there is a long way too go.

I'm going to the game at the Trop tonite vs the Rays. CC on the hill in a tough spot to break his 0-5 record. These long term contracts have hand cuffed the Yanks from getting younger.

But Yankee fans have to be happy at this early point in the season. I just wish our minor league system looked a lot more like what Boston has.

Reactions: mga pirate
Brandon McCarthy - out for the season w/ Tommy John
Shane Greene - nearly a 5.00 ERA, wildly inconsistent after a hot start

I just want to point out that every move the Yankees make isn't necessarily a bad one. People like to dump all over Cashman but he deserves credit when it's due.

Reactions: mga pirate
Brandon McCarthy - out for the season w/ Tommy John
Shane Greene - nearly a 5.00 ERA, wildly inconsistent after a hot start

I just want to point out that every move the Yankees make isn't necessarily a bad one. People like to dump all over Cashman but he deserves credit when it's due.

Remember when he got taken to the cleaners in that Montero for Pineda trade?;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT