ADVERTISEMENT

Things I am watching for in Spring game

Scarlet Shack

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
Spring game is always Bryers vanilla...but here are a few things

1.) Long snapping and FG snapping/time to get off kicks. This was a large problem last year...and I have no idea why other teams did not come after us harder...we were really, really slow getting the snap back...and the punter too long to get rid of it when he got it

With no rush...you can't really tell of the punter is slow In his part...but you can tell if that snap is too slow getting back. Ditto on FG attempts, where Federico already has me nervous every time he comes on the field without snapping and new holder questions...

This has me worried... a bunch.

2.) Playing against basically zone defenses in coverage...does the QBs get rid of the ball in the right place without a lot of hesitation on time. Ball placement will improve with more reps. Ball velocity will improve with reps...but does the QB get the ball where it needs to on time on the right read. That you can tell. Thought last year we had hope when I saw a gary nova in the spring game delivering more balls on time than in past

3.) WRs can be an really really good group...if the hands improve. new QB does not help. Been heating about Agolosi all spring. lets see the hands. We saw what patton can do when the droppsies are done. And Mr grant (not playing) is a match up night mare waiting to happen if the hands are there....

4.) Hearing about this "up tempo" offense. Curious how this translates and if it will be on display at all during the spring game. Also part of this is a new QB getting in and out of the huddle fast, crisp and clean.

5.) The touch and you are down rule for QBs in the spring game creates a lot of phantom sacks and tfls...so Im more interested in seeing how the oline vs dline looks on running plays when the play can be physical.

6.) With a lot of vanilla zone defene...wont get much a read on CB play on an island....

7.) Last...wondering if one of the Rbs shows some separation in getting more carries next year.

I for one want to see if the cheerleaders are on their game. They may have to work out some of the rust... It's hard to watch but someone has to do it.

Great post, S Shack. Also am interested in seeing how the OT's handle the edge rush.

"upTempo" Offense? First I am hearing of this. Hope it is true. Need a little bit of an advantage on Offense.

Injury free game and one QB who stands out as a a leader on Offense.

I'm curious to see how they juggle the offensive line, given that they do not have enough healthy linemen to create two separate O Lines.

Given the number of injuries and players being kept out for precautionary reasons, this is gonna be a real vanilla scrimmage. I just don't think you're gonna be able to see very much from it.

I am going to see if the offense opens it up to hide its weakness on the Oline and QB. If all I see them is offense trying to run the ball, then it is going to be a very long season of futility on offense. The opposition knows this and will stack the line against the run. The offense will have to be very creative this year to finish 8 - 5 this year.

You stole my answer!!!
I would say QB accuracy. The QBs are given a huge advantage (they cant be sacked), so this is about as accurate as they are going to get under real game conditions. If they look inaccurate now, I wouldnt expect them to be MORE accurate in the future.

See how the kicking game does with a new holder. Bimonte's not there any more to bail out bad snaps. Who's going to be the holder now anyways?

The Spring Game is nothing more than a glorified scrimmage with the intent to minimize injuries.I' m more interested in seeing the number of recruits and if any give a verbal commit.Its time to close the deal because nothing major will be happening until fall practice which might be too late

Federico missed 5 of his last 6 fgs in the scrimmage...and had yet another PAT hit the upright and bounce off

I am looking to see if there is improvement. The guy makes me nervous and 3 years in even the extra points are no guarantee

fbc1866 nails it, safety angles were just awful last year. so frustrating. snapping is big as well, bimonte bailed a few of those out as JQ said.

interested in seeing what type of arm and and presence Retig has,

Federico missed 5 of his last 6 fgs in the scrimmage...and had yet another PAT hit the upright and bounce off

I am looking to see if there is improvement. The guy makes me nervous and 3 years in even the extra points are no guarantee

Apparently he improved the next day. According to him and Flood, he got off on his mechanics and was able to correct it.

ADVERTISEMENT