ADVERTISEMENT

Top 7 from Kentucky entering the Draft

RU-Choppin-Ohio

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 31, 2011
Calipari is a great recruiter..... but, what are the chances they win a title soon if his top players leave after 1 or 2 years. Staying 3 or 4 years is very rare. The 2012 championship team was unique because they had Anthony Davis and Kidd-Gilchrist.

On a side note....all of the uncommitted players in the Top 50 will probably sign up to play there next year.
This post was edited on 4/9 3:34 PM by RU-Choppin-Ohio

Originally posted by RU-Choppin-Ohio:
Calipari is a great recruiter..... but, what are the chances they win a title soon if his top players leave after 1 or 2 years. Staying 3 or 4 years is very rare. The 2012 championship team was unique because they had Anthony Davis and Kidd-Gilchrist.

On a side note....all of the uncommitted players in the Top 50 will probably sign up to play there next year.
Chances are extremely high. Just think about this. They're losing 7 kids this year to the pros of which the majority will go in the first round.

STILL they will return Poythress, Ulis, and Lee AND bring in Labisserie Briscoe, and Matthews.

They will be right back in the hunt for a title NEXT YEAR! Yes-- you still need a little bit of luck to go all the way but I have no doubt he'll get another and it could even come next year.

Didn't you mean to say "Top 7 Student Athletes from Kentucky . . . "
rolleyes.r191677.gif

The decision by 7 Kentucky players to leave for the NBA draft just proves the point that Kentucky really is a semi pro team.They can't be viewed as student athletes and its amazing that the NCAA remains silent .

Originally posted by bscharf:

Originally posted by RU-Choppin-Ohio:

Chances are extremely high. Just think about this. They're losing 7 kids this year to the pros of which the majority will go in the first round.

STILL they will return Poythress, Ulis, and Lee AND bring in Labisserie Briscoe, and Matthews.

They will be right back in the hunt for a title NEXT YEAR! Yes-- you still need a little bit of luck to go all the way but I have no doubt he'll get another and it could even come next year.
Kentucky won't close to the final 4 next year. There is only one reason Kentucky was able to win in 2012 with so many 1st and 2nd year players.....ANTHONY DAVIS. He is a special player. None of the incoming recruits come close in terms of talent or being able to carry a team. That includes, Briscoe......or should I say "over-rated Briscoe".

so true...these kids probably have not attended one class this semester and the NCAA despite sticking their nose in every small ridiculous event allows stuff like this and the UNC nonsense to go unpunished.

Kentucky won't win the title. It takes not just exceptional talent to win the title with this no upper classmen strategy, it takes generational talent.

Unibrow as one of the best college players I have seen in his year at Kentucky, with a crazy supporting cast. Not sure those guys, even at the highest recruiting levels, are often that available.

A good question is what if Kentucky continues to do well, make some FF's, but never wins the title. How long will Kentucky accept that they are a one year closet for NBA hopefuls?

Originally posted by Caliknight:

Kentucky won't win the title. It takes not just exceptional talent to win the title with this no upper classmen strategy, it takes generational talent.

Unibrow as one of the best college players I have seen in his year at Kentucky, with a crazy supporting cast. Not sure those guys, even at the highest recruiting levels, are often that available.

A good question is what if Kentucky continues to do well, make some FF's, but never wins the title. How long will Kentucky accept that they are a one year closet for NBA hopefuls?
stop agreeing with me, I don't like it.....lol

When you say he's a great recruiter, what exactly do you mean? He has a special relationship with World Wide Wes and a big money basketball school to work at, I'll grant you that, but that's a far cry from being a great recruiter.

The other thread that had me cracking up was about Calipari being overrated as a coach! By who? He's never been accused of being a great in game coach, he gets outcoached everytime he comes up against an elite coach.

Kentucky has become a joke. I agree that they are a semi-PRO team. Some of their kids have inflated views of their abilities. Harrison twins are barely 1st round picks...more likely 2nd round.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Harrison twins, Dakari Johnson, and Booker should've stayed in school.

All 3 will be playing in Israel or Russia within 3 years, maybe DJ has the most upside.

Originally posted by bac2therac:

so true...these kids probably have not attended one class this semester and the NCAA despite sticking their nose in every small ridiculous event allows stuff like this and the UNC nonsense to go unpunished.
If that were the case....UK's APR would suffer greatly, which would end up costing UK available scholarships/sanctions.

Sadly, because of the academic fraud discovered at UNC, which lasted for decades, it seems that some major programs could easily hide no-show classes that gives players passing grades, with basically zero class time and worse, zero class work...so UK's APR could just move along with a passing grade/rating...even if those 7 UK "professionals" did little to zero class work this semester.

this is not Kentucky's fault. I blame the NBA for changing the rules and requiring kids to be 19 or 1 year removed from hs. If the NBA had a true minor league (like MLB and the NHL) then they could draft kids from HS, pay them whatever they want, and allow college to be for the players that actually want to go to school too.

UK had 6 players drafted in the 2012 NBA Draft after UK won the 2012 National Championship.

Out of those 6 players, 3 are very productive in the NBA (Davis, Gilchrist and Jones), while the other 3, including 1 that was a 1st round pick (Teague), are in the NBDL or playing in Germany.

Harrison Twins might be the riskiest pick, most analyst have them positioned for 2nd round (only 2 rounds to NBA Draft) or Free Agent pick-ups.

Odds though...2 or 3 will end up stars...1 or 2 will end up journeymen...while the others won't make it in the NBA.

NCAA needs to step in and change this. These 7 kids shouldn't have their scholarships available to give to another kid for 3 more years.

If this is really about scholar athletes why not say a scholarship is freed up when a diploma is attached to it. No diploma and the player leaves you have to wait 1-2 years for it to be freed up.

Also I'd like to see GPAs of team attached somewhere in the broadcast of these games (good or bad).

Our Final 4 had Kentucky and Duke which were 2 glorified minor league NBA teams competing against teams where kids were going to college.

It's a joke to see these kids represent their school. Going to school means going to class and these kids take the bare minimum in the fall to stay eligible and nothing in the spring because they don't have to.

Let the NBA go back to drafting kids right out of HS.

It's not about scholar athletes-----never has been.

No difference IMO between a kid leaving school for the NBA vs a kid who leaves college to enter the workforce----or join the Armed Forces.

I don't like the idea of kids having to attend college as opposed to going to the NBA after HS personally.

But this what the NBA created with their collective bargaining agreement and if they don't want to go overseas and play this is the route they're forced to take.

My point is more that Kentucky's program has a culture of players having zero interest in assimilating into college life. This is evident in the fact that even the guys with 2nd round or undrafted draft grades come out anyway. i'm fine with lottery picks/top 20 picks coming out early, but when guys that have no chance of being a 1st rd pick come out early it tells you that the program attracts a certain type of recruit.

Yeah guys that want to make a living playing basketball.

Just a heads up------that's their right.

It is also the right of any university that wants to recruit them to do just that as long as they are academically qualified.

Originally posted by Rokodesh:
Harrison twins, Dakari Johnson, and Booker should've stayed in school.

All 3 will be playing in Israel or Russia within 3 years, maybe DJ has the most upside.
Not sure what the Harrison twins and Johnson were thinking. Maybe they thought the committed guards and center coming in were better then them? Booker seems to project as a first rounder this year. While he might be a higher first rounder next year I can understand better why he might be inclined to go.

One Harrison kid is ranked like number 80. Should have stayed in school.

Originally posted by Caliknight:

Respectfully disagree. And pretty strongly.

With this rationale you are calling Tyus Jones a generational talent. And dont tell me Okafor won them that title.

Cal will win another in the next five years if he stays at Kentucky.

This was predictable and is bad for the sport. Those players should be declared ineligible and any wins in which they participated should be vacated and the money paid to UK for the tournament should be returned. Otherwise, nothing will change and the sport will continue its downward spiral among college sports fans.

ADVERTISEMENT