ADVERTISEMENT

Tourney Time Thoughts

RUcrazee

Senior
Jan 23, 2020
Lots of interesting story lines so far.

I got over my frustration with BTN and have thoroughly enjoyed their coverage since the night of our game with Minn.

Surprised at how flat Ohio St was in their loss. They were content to die with the three when they were playing a Md team that I feel like is weak in the paint. Not one of McGuff's better moments.

Nebraska, one of the few teams that we were able to beat in the conference, is "standing on business"!! Should be a good final, considering their battle a few weeks ago.

S Car. vs LSU.............
Get your popcorn ready!!

It still trips me out to see all our former players on these various teams who are playing deep into their conference tourneys and will be appearing in the NCAA Tourney also. And they are major contributors on their teams, with the exception of Sakima Walker, only due to the log jam of players on the number one team in the country. I kinda feel bad for the fact that she can't get the playing time there. She could be a major player for a whole lot of other top teams. Hope she still has the extra year left.

Tyia Singleton is helping solidify the paint for Coach Yo's Ole Miss team.

Zippy Broughton just had 14 pts in Florida's last game.

Diamond Johnson has a good shot at being in the NCAA Tourney with Norfolk St, the favorite to win their Conference Tourney.

Zoe Brooks and Hannah Hidalgo continue to shine brightly. Especially Hannah, getting STRONG consideration for Frosh of the year and 1st team All American honors. She has my vote for both!

Have to admit.............Notre Dame has become a favorite of mine to watch. Loved watching them with Olivia Miles leading them last year. Love watching Hannah's dominance on both ends of the floor. Can't say enough about the often overshadowed hero on the team, SONIA CITRON!! She is special! Westbeld is also a heck of a player. They'll miss her next year, but they have that star recruit from Long Island Lutheran coming in. Their present and future is very bright.

How the heck did we beat Nebraska?

That was some game. Iowa vs Nebraska.

Sooooo many great stories.....Exciting games ............ So much STAR power!!

Where do I begin???!!

Let's start with S Car destroying a good North Carolina team. That was impressive. I told you, they are better than last year due to the addition of outside shooting.

All the Fab Frosh out there shining (Hannah and Zoe right at the top with JuJu and M Fulwiley, A Crooks. If you guys have seen Fulwiley, and were really impressed, as are all of the analysts and sportscasters, .... then buckle up for Kiyomi next year. The two have been featured together for the last 2 or 3 years as the future faces of the game to follow Caitlin. I can't see us having a problem adding talent around such a talented center of attraction.

I have to pause, to give credit to the Big12 Conf. I have overlooked this conf by just considering Texas and Baylor to be the true threats. They are legitimately in the conversation for toughest conference. They go 8, maybe 9 deep this year and could have been 10 if TCU stayed healthy.

Notre Dame! Yup, A favorite of mine. It will be interesting to see how they look next year with both Miles and Hidalgo. OMG!!

Kenny Brooks (Virginia Tech) moves over to coach U Kentucky. He'd be wise to try to keep the talent that already entered the portal last week. Let's see how that plays out.

The close finishes were so much fun. Iriafen for Stanford was magnificient. Looked like the best player on Stanford's roster, .....including Brink.

Middle Tenn St's HC was telling the truth when he said.....We're more skilled than they are. Their tall slender post was fouled out on a Angel Reese flop. Refs were bad in that category. It really cost them a chance to finish the upset. She was so much more impressive, skill-wise, than Reese. Reese is just stronger.

Iowa! They survive, with a little help, IMO!! No way the foul disparity is justified. They both were attacking the basket and going inside offensively. You just can't get close to an Iowa player on a drive without getting hit with a foul. Don't even mention Caitlin. WV's top 5 players came into the 4th quarter with 4 fouls each, IIRC. Iowa had no one with more than 2 fouls.................. As much as Stuelke was her usual, bull in a china shop self???!!! Gabby was as aggressive or moreso than the WV guards on defense.

Hat's off to them for what they have done, as a group, for that program. I guess it had to turn out on a positive note for their last game together in Iowa.
Ok. That's all the praise I got for them!

Syracuse almost got one. Fair was great, Paige, maybe a tad better. Got to see another recruit we came close with but didn't get (A. Latham- Syracuse).

Kim adds another talent for next year. ............. Jersey Wolfenbarger has committed to LSU.

Paulina Paris just entered the portal. We could use an experience PG to take the pressure off of Kiyomi and help with handling pressure defense. I don't know if Kateri Poole is a fit for CW, but she comes to mind also.

Reactions: Esipos1 and MADHAT1
Oh!!

Can't forget! Geno's comment on having the best player in the country on his team.

I have to agree with him. Just saw Andraya Carter talking about it on ESPN sportcenter. I completely agree with her comparison of the two, paige and Caitlin. I like Paige as the better player in every category......... except one very important one ..........

Durability!

Reactions: Esipos1 and MADHAT1
I have to pause, to give credit to the Big12 Conf. I have overlooked this conf by just considering Texas and Baylor to be the true threats. They are legitimately in the conversation for toughest conference. They go 8, maybe 9 deep this year and could have been 10 if TCU stayed healthy.
Since Arizona is going to the Big 12 I've gotten to read a lot about it as a WBB conference. They may be a challenger for toughest conference next year (and not because Arizona is joining them, but also Utah and Colorado). This year, the PAC was toughest, and has the most remaining teams in the tourney: B1G (2), ACC (3), SEC (2), Big 12 (2), PAC (5), Big East and WCC one each. Folks (not fans) who write articles about this kind of thing are pretty much in agreement for this season, and conflicted for next year.

Texas was definitely the cream of the Big 12, and losing them (and regular season champ OK) will hurt. But it will be a 16 team conference, with (of the 12 remaining members, it was 14 this year) Baylor and KState probably the best, West Virginia and Iowa State probably in a good place, and Kansas looking good. Unfortunately, TCU is unproven, and the bottom part of the conference, like the old Big East, is awful.

I have hopes that it is going to be a top WBB conference, as its football profile has slipped. I think it might be difficult to measure the "best" next year, but we will see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT