ADVERTISEMENT

Two guys have transferred out of Rutgers in the last 30 years that have lead the country in scoring

I just want to say, folks seem to forget that Peter Kiss averaged 18 mpg (more than Gavin) on our pretty similar caliber 2018-19 team. He averaged 6 ppg on 38.4% shooting and 30.2% from 3 as a sophomore coming in as a proven double digit low major scorer as a frosh (again he was a sophomore - but better numbers 2018-19 than Gavin put up in 2023-24).

The fallacy here is that Peter definitively wasn’t good enough to ever be a key contributor for a high major. He didn’t work out at Rutgers in part because we were flooded with starter caliber major conference guards - JY, Geo, Caleb, Tez and Paul all on that 2019-20 team. Consider what Jalen Miller went on to do compared to Kiss at a low major. Quite a bit different. Super senior Peter Kiss probably would’ve started and been a major scorer on our 2023-24 team. At that point in his career, he was substantially better than the guards we had this past year. I’m thinking the same will be true with Acuff. I don’t care if it’s the MAAC, and yeah, his game definitely has limitations. But averaging 21 ppg on a D1 team is still impressive. How many guys average that in non- conference play? Just saying.

I would say Spencer’s transfer was more impressive .
As the other 2 went down a level.

Clarification : Jones didn’t transfer out , he flunked out. Schiano was the one that fixed issues like that with academic advisors and steering kids to the easiest classes . Thank god we don’t have those issues anymore.

I would say Spencer’s transfer was more impressive .
As the other 2 went down a level.

Clarification : Jones didn’t transfer out , he flunked out. Schiano was the one that fixed issues like that with academic advisors and steering kids to the easiest classes . Thank god we don’t have those issues anymore.

Kiss was pretty good at the low major level before coming to Rutgers in the first place. 13 ppg as a frosh. He didn’t work out at Rutgers more because we had too much depth at the time and he was used to being a big contributor than that he wasn’t good enough. It was like Austin Williams without an injury and with 2 more additional years of eligibility following this past season.

Kiss was pretty good at the low major level before coming to Rutgers in the first place. 13 ppg as a frosh. He didn’t work out at Rutgers more because we had too much depth at the time and he was used to being a big contributor than that he wasn’t good enough. It was like Austin Williams without an injury and with 2 more additional years of eligibility following this past season.
I believe Kiss shooting %'s actually went up his first year at RU from what they were his freshman at Quinnipiac

I believe Kiss shooting %'s actually went up his first year at RU from what they were his freshman at Quinnipiac
Probably - he arguably got progressively better over his career. Again, we didn’t have Dylan and Ace level talent, but the 2019-20 roster was extremely deep. Pike prioritizes D which is how he ended up as odd guy out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT