ADVERTISEMENT

Unfortunately OT: Tyus Battle

UMRU

All Conference
Sep 19, 2006
Looks like it is Michigan or Duke for Gill St. Bernard's Tyus Battle (unfortunately RU is not in the picture).

Having a more than a little interest in Michigan myself, I was wondering if anyone has heard anything lately? Battle visited UM this weekend and it went very well, but it is hard to beat Duke.

Reactions: PaKnight
You gotta think Duke but it may come down to who is on which roster to affect his playing time and affecting him being the 1st scoring option. The kid will be in school for 1 or maybe 2 years at most.

He can't go wrong at Michigan or Duke.

As much as I would love Tyus at RU I don't think he is the player for us to build a program around. We need kids that will be around for 3 or more seasons to develop consistency. A 1 and done will need to be replaced almost immediately.

As much as I would love Tyus at RU I don't think he is the player for us to build a program around. We need kids that will be around for 3 or more seasons to develop consistency. A 1 and done will need to be replaced almost immediately.

If we get a 1 and done and make the NCAAs, or at least become competitive in the NIT (which is why we won't really get a 1 and done), it would do MIRACLES for this program. I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Reactions: cyrock3
Yeah, michigan has a history but they were 16-16 last year. A record i'd love to have here but still not stellar. Kid deserves a place like Duke. What an interesting kid to watch play basketball. So humble.

Michigan's 16-16 record is a reflection of losing 5 or 6 kids early to the NBA over the last two years, plus a season long injury to a top player. They will not be losing anywhere near 16 games next year, especially with Derrick Walton not going pro.

Battle would likely see the court much sooner at Michigan - Walton will be nearly certainly go pro after his Jr. year.

Hopefully he goes Big Ten.

That's true. Every team loses players. I wish we had some of those issues.

I don't want to see him in the big ten!Too good!

Unfortunately is a apt description of Rutgers mens basketball.Unfortunately,there is need for better facilities,talent,financial resources and a larger fan base .Kicking the can down the road unfortunately hasn't worked for 24 years.

Michigan's 16-16 record is a reflection of losing 5 or 6 kids early to the NBA over the last two years, plus a season long injury to a top player. They will not be losing anywhere near 16 games next year, especially with Derrick Walton not going pro.

Battle would likely see the court much sooner at Michigan - Walton will be nearly certainly go pro after his Jr. year.

Hopefully he goes Big Ten.
Always love your stuff on "The Fort" but I think you meant Levert and not Walton going pro. Walton has the potential to be a great college player but like me he needs a step ladder to get to the top shelf...and like me he is probably sending his doctor's kids to college with his bills (I'm getting old).

Anyhoo...wow...we landled Battle...but the bigger topic of discussion is why you didn't chime in on the best hot dog joint thread on "The Fort." I didn't either as I didn't think I would have any support on The Windmill....need your support on the truth of hot dogs

Reactions: UMRU
Thought he was going to Duke - good luck to him seems like a great kid. He is a do everything player who is smart and has a great work ethic - will be in the league as long as he can stay healthy. Good luck to him! Btw no shot of him coming here.

Ru final 4 - beggars can't be choosers. A one and done would help us immensley, just as a 3 year impact player would. We are starving right now and any morsel of food would be good.

Always love your stuff on "The Fort" but I think you meant Levert and not Walton going pro. Walton has the potential to be a great college player but like me he needs a step ladder to get to the top shelf...and like me he is probably sending his doctor's kids to college with his bills (I'm getting old).

Anyhoo...wow...we landled Battle...but the bigger topic of discussion is why you didn't chime in on the best hot dog joint thread on "The Fort." I didn't either as I didn't think I would have any support on The Windmill....need your support on the truth of hot dogs
----------------
Thanks for the correction, ellobo. You are absolutely right. As for hot dogs - I still haven't recovered from Red Hot Lovers closing in AA. But out here in NB its all about Destination Dogs!

BTW - I love the comment from the Seton Hall guy who posted earlier "Battle is even better that you expect for a kid rated as highly as he is." I was just going to share that one with the Fort.

Another elite NJ recruit choosing between schools like Duke and Michigan just shows how far Rutgers needs to climb to even be considered for a player of Battle's talent.

Thought he was going to Duke - good luck to him seems like a great kid. He is a do everything player who is smart and has a great work ethic - will be in the league as long as he can stay healthy. Good luck to him! Btw no shot of him coming here.

Ru final 4 - beggars can't be choosers. A one and done would help us immensley, just as a 3 year impact player would. We are starving right now and any morsel of food would be good.

I just saw this. He was always a nice kid. I actually coached him. Well, officially, I was the coach until Gary Battle kind of took over and I more or less became the GM.

Looks like it is Michigan or Duke for Gill St. Bernard's Tyus Battle (unfortunately RU is not in the picture).

Having a more than a little interest in Michigan myself, I was wondering if anyone has heard anything lately? Battle visited UM this weekend and it went very well, but it is hard to beat Duke.
Tyus Battle was never coming to Rutgers. We didn't have a 1 % chance.

Do you think he will consider himself as repping Jersey where he goes?

Last edited:
for a kid of Battle's talent and accomplishments he is not going to come to Rutgers unless he was really in love with the school. Honestly, I can't fault him with his decision. Rutgers is a rebuilding effort and can hurt his chances to make it to the next level. In order to limit that risk he was looking at schools with a proven track record of making the NCAA tourney and producing NBA talent. Both Duke and Michigan are also good academic schools with great alumni networks in case he does not prove to be NBA worthy.

I do wonder though that with Rutgers playing Michigan 1 to 2 times a year if that had any impact on his decision since he can play in front of family and friends. Also, with the B10 tournament in MSG in 2018 it may be another chance to play close to home. Battle may be gone before that tourney though if he is a 1 and done.

Do you think he will consider himself as repping Jersey where he goes?

He is rated like 15th nationally. It seems like he and his family did a fairly thorough analysis of what the best fit is for him academically and athletically.

He and his family have done a lot right in order to get in this position.

I assume he will represent NJ well.

for a kid of Battle's talent and accomplishments he is not going to come to Rutgers unless he was really in love with the school. Honestly, I can't fault him with his decision. Rutgers is a rebuilding effort and can hurt his chances to make it to the next level. In order to limit that risk he was looking at schools with a proven track record of making the NCAA tourney and producing NBA talent. Both Duke and Michigan are also good academic schools with great alumni networks in case he does not prove to be NBA worthy.

I do wonder though that with Rutgers playing Michigan 1 to 2 times a year if that had any impact on his decision since he can play in front of family and friends. Also, with the B10 tournament in MSG in 2018 it may be another chance to play close to home. Battle may be gone before that tourney though if he is a 1 and done.

Yes it did.

I read that he is also transferring high schools. Basketball recruiting is even stranger than football recruiting.

sort of looks like somebody with a cart with groceries now looking for the shortest check-out line - 'get me into the express lane to the NBA'

Like Michigan is filling the NBA with pros lately? I think they put in 6 guys over the last two years.

Really hurt UM - they stopped recruiting a 5 star guard from Alabama and that guy just signed with Michigan State.

Really hurt UM - they stopped recruiting a 5 star guard from Alabama and that guy just signed with Michigan State.

Michigan will be fine with or without Battle. Great talent, but plenty of experience and talent on the wings with or without him.

In recruiting it isn't about which recruits you miss on, it's which ones you get. Because you will always miss on way more than you get (that's just how the numbers work).

ADVERTISEMENT