ADVERTISEMENT

Uniforms Uniforms Uniforms

Having had 50 yard line seats for that game and running on the field after it was surely a historic moment . However, there's not much else history where we were relevant in the rankings.

Right. No history. Only the Empire State building was lit up for RUTGERS and the ENTIRE NATION TUNED IN

This is f*cking Rutgers football below. The Power Ranger uniforms will be associated with getting our asses kicked in the AAC and our start in the B1G.

Somebody with a vision and bravado like GS will bring them back, next time around.
bilde

Having had 50 yard line seats for that game and running on the field after it was surely a historic moment . However, there's not much else history where we were relevant in the rankings.

If anything, I'd say if the new uniforms help in getting the hell past it, thats even better.

I realize 2006 against LVille was the single biggest moment for this program and led to the B1G invite at least partially. It was a great night, a great moment, and will always and forever be a HUGE part of our history.

But we didn't win the conference, etc. Great year, but it is not as if that one game is enough to retain those tired boring uniforms. It is very "small time" to act as if that is some huge historical thing as compared to other teams like those mentioned from the B1G. I get that ville was ranked very high and that season we finished with a very very nice record and ranked. However as for just the game in a vacuum, we have already started developing other memories. the come back against MD last year, the first ever B1G win against UMich, and the plays that took place, and the crowd. The atmosphere against PSU, which had we won, would have really been big. etc.

These new uniforms are associated with our identity almost 10 years later, in the B1G. 2006 was lets say the beginning of a whole new era and life for this program, but this first year in the B1G is also a huge part of that, as will be the next several years.

Because they start games too late to build a younger fan base? Making a short sighted money grab and having a slow game is the issue, not fashion.
That's all you got out of that comment? No one cares for old traditions! It's a nickel holding up a dollar.

To those that say the "players love them" just consider the recruits were a lot better before these crappy new ones were being used. So much for it helps in recruiting.

Reactions: RU4
That's all you got out of that comment? No one cares for old traditions! It's a nickel holding up a dollar.
No I got more. Baseball eliminated an old tradition by moving the start times of games later, and lost their future fanbase in doing so. They took the current dollar and forfeited the future hundreds.

My point, which you missed, is that change doesn't always = progress.

The problem with the old uniforms is that they are too similar to Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Nebraska. We needed a new uniform to distinguish ourselves. The new ones are fine.

The guy I was with asked me why we weren't wearing our good uniforms during the spring game, instead of the old ones. Everyone's got an opinion.

Personally I like the "throwback" look for the spring game, and the new look for gameday.

The problem with the old uniforms is that they are too similar to Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Nebraska. We needed a new uniform to distinguish ourselves. The new ones are fine.

+1 Ding Ding Ding!! WE HAVE A WINNER. Lol it never fails. Every 6 months the usual suspects come forth to complain while casually forgetting that our old uniforms look EXACTLY like the rest of the B1G.

images
images

images
images

images
images

images
images

images
images

We require our own identity. Even Julie highlighted this by stating that she didnt want RU to be "just another red/white B1G team" when discussing why they added more black/silver to the color schemes at the RAC etc. I liked the old unis. But it is so painfully obvious why we won't wear them again on gamedays. They were cool but they are not nationally iconic. They have no title tradition. We have no championships to tie them to. OSU, Neb, Wisc, ect. DOES which is why they get to stay old school. Our old unis just make us look like pretenders now. It's over. Way too many RU fans are fine with the new ones anyway. I didnt like them at first but they grew on me
gary-nova-rutgers-2013.png

2013-rutgers-white-nike-football-uniform-675x380.jpg

Another annoying part of the old uniforms is that it says "Rutgers" in giant block letters. Who was the last big time school that had to put their name in giant caps across their chest? It's as though you're expecting that nobody will know who you are otherwise..and that was partially true before because our jerseys were the same as countless others. I can't think of a major program who has their school name labelled across the chest of their football jerseys.

Some of you are just ridiculous with your comments about going back to the old unis. When you make this statement each and every time I continually ask myself which unis are you talking about.
It is not like the schiano era unis were longstanding before the beginning of time. I remember when we used to have NJ on our helmets. If you look at some of the other national brands those traditional unis have lasted the almost their entire history so you cannot really compare any unis we have had to theirs at all. If you are discounting our history with unis then we should also remove the "birthplace of college football signs" as well.

We had an opportunity to make a change for a new era of RU football and so far so good under the flood watch. These uniforms have some flaws but we identify with them now. I always hear compliments from people I bring to the games.

Some of you are just ridiculous with your comments about going back to the old unis. When you make this statement each and every time I continually ask myself which unis are you talking about.
It is not like the schiano era unis were longstanding before the beginning of time. I remember when we used to have NJ on our helmets. If you look at some of the other national brands those traditional unis have lasted the almost their entire history so you cannot really compare any unis we have had to theirs at all. If you are discounting our history with unis then we should also remove the "birthplace of college football signs" as well.

We had an opportunity to make a change for a new era of RU football and so far so good under the flood watch. These uniforms have some flaws but we identify with them now. I always hear compliments from people I bring to the games.
WOW! I don't know where to start. No one has ever said that the previous uniforms have been around forever . I have no idea where you got that! Are you really clueless as to which old unis everyone is talking about?? Unreal. Please inform us that you are kidding and aren't that stupid. If you are serious let me update your narrow mind. The talk of the "old" uniforms is strictly talking about the previous version. And we are all fully aware that they only date to the Schiano era.
It's not ridiculous to like one style over the other. It's a personal preference. For some the previous uniforms represent the most successful years the program has ever had.
Many, like myself, only real complaint is that the numbers are hard to see from the stands and on TV. Is it so hard to make a minor change? No one compliments this issue, no one. During the first year every new TV announcer group made mention on how hard they were to read, on air.
If they are going to stay with these uniforms can they at least fix the "flaws" I see nothing ridiculous about that simple fix or request by the fans.

Another annoying part of the old uniforms is that it says "Rutgers" in giant block letters. Who was the last big time school that had to put their name in giant caps across their chest? It's as though you're expecting that nobody will know who you are otherwise..and that was partially true before because our jerseys were the same as countless others. I can't think of a major program who has their school name labelled across the chest of their football jerseys.
Ever hear of Oklahoma? I think they are a big time program.

I still wish we could bring back the Alex Kroll era uniforms just once for a throwback game

The so called classic uniforms did not exist before 2001 and were designed by GS who also tweak them a few times before also designing the current uniforms.

Did you ever hear of teams called TEXAS and OKLAHOMA.

Oklahoma:
070114-SW-OU-new-unis-PI.vadapt.320.medium.0.jpg

Texas:
2013-texas-longhorns-football-uniforms-675x380.jpg

Oregon (sometimes):

UniformPhotoGallery.jpg

Michigan State:

USATSI_7534446-179x318.jpg

Auburn:

aub-06-12-bluewhite-johnreed-675x380.jpg

Arkansas:

arkansas-razorbacks-nike-anthracite-2013-uniforms-675x380.jpg

Having "Rutgers" across the chest is fine, they would just need to make it smaller and modernize the font a bit.

I like the old uniforms way more than the current ones. Do a couple of small tweaks to them and they would look good and be different from what other schools have.

I would actually sign up for that grey Arkansas uni with a brighter red and a block R on the helmet...

After seeing the old ones again I appreciated just how much I love the new ones.

#teamnewuniforms
Ive come around to this a bit. I still think the scratch marks on the shoulders are tacky, and the sword numbers are a stupid gimmick, but the overall style does make our old uniforms look high schoolish by comparison. Among the helmets there are some I like, and some that I dont think work out that well. Loved when we had the red chrome R though.

Old uniforms sucked beyond belief. Generic rush to make something different than the Shea error.

The new uniforms are way better and just went for a winning season in the B1G. Keep them...for now. Go to something else in a few years that aren't our old uniforms. They suck and are old.

Once again, the old uniforms sucked.

If you want to see the numbers, get better seats.

Trying to be cool.

I love the scratches, scars, and scuff marks. I may buy this for a good Halloween costume.
bilde

Last edited:
The new uniforms are really helping with recruiting. How many times have we heard, "the recruits love them" give me a break. We look like clowns

Big boy uniforms
leonard.jpg

Exactly! Cal them old, call them classic.. both apply. In defending the tricked out, over-produced look of the "new" unis, its defenders are playing games with semantics.

The 2005-2007 unis looked great. Echoed of tradition and classic style. If i could make that uniform the one and only uniform that Rutgers has ever worn, I would do that in a minute.

Reactions: ruready07
Id like to see what a "chromed" red helmet would look like.
It would be awesome. What color R though?

From the picture above - the red top, white pants isnt as bad as I remember. But the white on white with the red helmet is wow - very boring. Like I sai - HS uniformish. No money to embellish.

One way to differentiate ourselves from the Red/White pack: BLACK HELMETS.
[Note]: Just pretend there's a red block R on the helmet and the uni says RUTGERS instead of FALCONS.
HomeAlt.jpg

Road.jpg

Atlanta.jpg

The new uniforms are hideous. The white unis are the best of the lot, but that ain't saying much. Yeah the kids love them, but listen to what the kids consider music.

If the kids love them, isn't that what counts? Aren't they the ones wearing them?

If the kids love them, isn't that what counts? Aren't they the ones wearing them?
They "have" to love them. You think it is in their best interests to say anything negative when money is changing hands?

You must not have played sports. If kids don't like the uniforms, they will say it loud, they will say it often.

If we really want our own identity, given the plethora of red Big Ten teams, I say we add a blue and go colonial theme. You can still be the Scarlet Knights.. but wear red white and blue, unlike any Big Ten team. See my avatar. We can go with a early republic flag like the Betsy Ross.. or go with a revolutionary Don't tread on me thing.

Can't get over all the people hatin' on the slammin' salmon jammies!

HatersGonnaHate3.jpg

How many conference championships were won with the "visionary coach" and the "big time" uniforms?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT