ADVERTISEMENT

Very Interesting DE Ron Johnson Quote

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
Taken from Todd Hunt photo gallery on nj.com

"Everybody likes Rutgers. They just love Rutgers because they show a lot of love. And it's a big program. They're in the Big Ten now and we don't have to go far and stuff like that. That's just what everybody is saying. So I don't know exactly what it would take but I believe Rutgers is gonna get some of us us, I know that. Like, Rutgers is high on all our lists, so, like, I wouldn't be surprised if we all go there."

(Visited Rutgers with Brad Hawkins, Kelvin Harmon, Jamal Holloway, and Ahmir Mitchell)

Reactions: ron313
I've heard this a thousand times before, and yet never see it come true

Not only have we heard it, we've heard it from folks who later said stuff like "you should represent nj by going elsewhere"

Anyway, my conclusion/opinion is Todd Hunt's articles have very little legitimacy. The quotes by the players are what they said. He doesn't make them up.

However, it seems like he asks loaded questions to the players in a way that they always respond positively about Rutgers. He has a great way to do this. It's great for his career because this is what the fans want to read.

For example.. you can ask a player "what are your top schools?" and you would likely get an honest response with Rutgers being somewhere in the top 5 for most NJ players.

Or you can ask them "Do you think you guys can all get together to represent NJ at Rutgers?"
Guess how a player will respond to that. He will say something that favors Rutgers strongly and something the fans would like to hear. (Similar to the quote in this thread)

Unfortunately I put 0 faith in anything the players say in his interviews.

Forget what you read on NJ.COM and just wait for commitment. Nj.com basically said every recruit since 2013 is interested in Rutgers. They have been 10% correct in terms of recruits.

We are most in state guys second favorite school. I could stand a few more who like us best. I have a feeling that this is our lot in life until we start winning some games we aren't supposed to and get some swagger about the team. I hope Flood is capable of making that happen.

I have to admit that I do not get into recruiting that closely, but I have learned not to listen to what anybody says until there is a commitment.

There was a time when Walker, Gary and Guarantano visited together, they all sat down with flood and over Pizza talked about how great it would be to play here together. This was before or during the season last year. Guarantano said they loved it here, coaches were great, BIG 10 was huge, no negatives, in an honest statement, he said they were basically waiting to see how Rutgers Competed in the BIG. Well, we competed quite well, and showed that if we recruit a little better, we can really compete. Tenn has a great history, but has not been competing that well in their conference lately. Why did the lack of competing lately not hurt Tenn.? Just saying.

And again, a recruit can go where they want, no issues, but I am kinda getting tired of the talk that never amounts to a commitment for most of the top NJ Guys.

Two out of the three went elsewhere, and we are told by those in the know there is no way the third is coming here. Talk is cheap.

I have to agree with the many posts saying they are pretty much tired of hearing the same old thing. Being one of five schools they are considering is nice, but we just can't seem to make the cut when push comes to shove. I think a lot of Jersey kids want people to think they are really good by going to a program with name recognition and going to RU is nowhere near having that kind of pizzaz.

"Everybody likes Rutgers. They just love Rutgers because they show a lot of love. And it's a big program. They're in the Big Ten now and we don't have to go far and stuff like that. That's just what everybody is saying. So I don't know exactly what it would take but I believe Rutgers is gonna get some of us us, I know that. Like, Rutgers is high on all our lists, so, like, I wouldn't be surprised if we all go there."

(Visited Rutgers with Brad Hawkins, Kelvin Harmon, Jamal Holloway, and Ahmir Mitchell)
A way for Johnson to support his comment would be to give a verbal commit to Rutgers today.Since that won't happen fans are right back to reading the comments and not believing most of them.

Not only have we heard it, we've heard it from folks who later said stuff like "you should represent nj by going elsewhere"

Anyway, my conclusion/opinion is Todd Hunt's articles have very little legitimacy. The quotes by the players are what they said. He doesn't make them up.

However, it seems like he asks loaded questions to the players in a way that they always respond positively about Rutgers. He has a great way to do this. It's great for his career because this is what the fans want to read.

For example.. you can ask a player "what are your top schools?" and you would likely get an honest response with Rutgers being somewhere in the top 5 for most NJ players.

Or you can ask them "Do you think you guys can all get together to represent NJ at Rutgers?"
Guess how a player will respond to that. He will say something that favors Rutgers strongly and something the fans would like to hear. (Similar to the quote in this thread)

Click-bait of a positive variety.

I've always had this feeling about his articles also.........

Blah, Blah..Blah . I really dislike all this social media stuff in the modern world. Everyone states the same thing
"Everyone loves Rutgers"....well ..if it's so real and universal.... at least a few should state publically ...that's where i'm heading. They never do that however.

It's a positive that we're in consideration. Now I'm starting to wonder if these were the possible commits Flood was alluding to that would happen in June, and that is making me VERY excited. Long way to go, but I like the position were in.

There are 150 kids we know or ready about per class in and out of state....20 to 25 verbal to RU each year....125 of those kids interview go elsewhere.....frustration should be high because we know about too many kids and can't distinguish any of them in person, if they walked past you in your local mall or down the shore.

TOS recently did a review of names of kids and there actually were 250 known names with RU offers in and out of state/region.....at 250 kids with a max of 25 verbals, you are not going to get 90% of the known names mentioned over the course of a year.....I know it's hard to digest, but it's literally that many names folks and for the most part, most are at the same talent level, with a handful of few rare exceptions (Rashad Gary being a unique talent).

The rest are really a hit or miss bag of items that you cannot confirm with any confidence will succeed, other than separating their upbringing and how they are raised off the field....typically that is what separates the more consistent kids with their performance early and late in their careers in college.

In that scenario, RU has 5 high quality kids/verbals and a handful of other strong leans that are going to verbal in the next 2 months...some we know about already, which essentially limits the true amount of spots left to this class to less than 10-12, spots, depending on attrition.

It's amazing to think of things in that simple of terms, but we continue to ignore the obvious items and that's what happens on game days....do we have the coordinators in place goes well beyond the overhyped recruiting scene....I know fans are enamored with Franklin and other schools, but there is Ohio State and everyone else right now.....I'm not do much able to tell if Ron Johnson will be the next Max Issaka or Kemoko Turay as far as actual production on the field. What I do know is that, it's how you actually use your roster that is 10X more important at the coordinator level than the amount of recruiting pieces you believe you have accumulated.

But I'm probably not the best person to talk to about things....I had a fun weekend with some friends Friday night after work and ran into a couple of folks here on Round Table, watching Rangers/TB and had a BBQ at a friends house last night with some beats/music and talked hoops, hockey, NFL football etc....the last thing I'm losing sleep over is RU football recruiting, it's not going to fail like many believe and revenue is coming, so if a change is needed later, there are funds in place to do so.

The program is on the uptick and year one helped solve the mystery of how far RU has to go BUT also reconfirmed, how far RU has progressed. Year two's schedule is daunting, but that's how you challenge your staff, find out about your players, not "guessing" or speculating like years past in the Big East.....

always-a-bridesmaid-640x512.jpg

Some people will never be satisfied. T. Hunt pumps out positive articles about Rutgers all the time, yet some find fault with it. Maybe he should put out articles like the other idiots at nj.com. :cry:

Reactions: DirtyRU
I think you are reading too much into this. Recruits always say nice things about schools. Rarely will they say they don't like a school or bad mouth a school. If a recruit visits 5 schools and gets contacted by all schools recruiting reporters the recruits will say the same thing to all 5 reporters. School was great, liked the coaches, etc, etc, etc.

Never burn a bridge because you never know what will happen in the recruiting process.

Reactions: OSU2015
Some people will never be satisfied. T. Hunt pumps out positive articles about Rutgers all the time, yet some find fault with it. Maybe he should put out articles like the other idiots at nj.com. :cry:

Maybe my point wasn't clear.

Todderick Hunt works for NJ.com and concentrates on Rutgers' recruiting only. In order for his articles to draw attention, its better for them to be positive and quote worthy. His goal is to get traffic for his employer's website.

This site and TOS are membership websites and their incentive isn't for more clicks. Their goal is to make the correct projections about how much talent a player has (star ranking) and where a player signs. The recruiting sites have competition and they need to have a good reputation in order to retain members.

Todderick Hunt does not have to worry about any of that. He writes articles that will get the most clicks and that's the end of it. Perhaps you've realized all his quote pages are now in slide view (so you have to go through multiple pages to read a single quote from a player) to generate more traffic.

Reactions: JQRU91
Here's what I think happens. And the origin of this theory goes back the to basketball recruiting when some stars, whose names I forget, were supposedly all talking Rutgers.

Stories were written.. then came the summer basketball showcase camps.. I think ABCD was the one in this case. The star coaches show up.. the media follows.. the sycophant media drooling over the star coaches. and they all "ask" the players about "Rutgers" in mocking questions.

And once the players start publicly saying Rutgers.. opposing coaches and recruiters know its time to start going negative on Rutgers... instead of some other schools. And the hangers-ons who want their connection to go to some big name schools in order to further reflect more glory on them..the friends and family of these star players.. well, Rutgers just isn't big enough for them.

We have a tough battle.. our own local media goes negative on us once stars start talking Rutgers.

Some of our fans have become too jaded. It's nice to hear recruits say nice things about Rutgers. Would some of you prefer to hear bad things about Rutgers or for him to say "no comment". I thought he was pretty strong in his comments. While the are meaningless in the grand scheme of things, I feel optimistic that we have a shot at some in the jersey in top 10, whereas before I didn't think we had a shot.

What's a kid going to say when he's got someone in his face about to record and write up his comments? Especially when it's about the state school. They know that they'll have people around them get on their case if they say something negative or that there's no chance of them going there.

Some of our fans have become too jaded. It's nice to hear recruits say nice things about Rutgers. Would some of you prefer to hear bad things about Rutgers or for him to say "no comment". I thought he was pretty strong in his comments. While the are meaningless in the grand scheme of things, I feel optimistic that we have a shot at some in the jersey in top 10, whereas before I didn't think we had a shot.
I would love a recruit say great things about other teams but to commit to Rutgers.

Maybe my point wasn't clear.

Todderick Hunt works for NJ.com and concentrates on Rutgers' recruiting only. In order for his articles to draw attention, its better for them to be positive and quote worthy. His goal is to get traffic for his employer's website.

This site and TOS are membership websites and their incentive isn't for more clicks. Their goal is to make the correct projections about how much talent a player has (star ranking) and where a player signs. The recruiting sites have competition and they need to have a good reputation in order to retain members.

Todderick Hunt does not have to worry about any of that. He writes articles that will get the most clicks and that's the end of it. Perhaps you've realized all his quote pages are now in slide view (so you have to go through multiple pages to read a single quote from a player) to generate more traffic.

I realize this subject can go downhill quickly, but I'll tell you this one point T Hunt post only a fraction of what is told to him by recruits. They guys on this site do the same. The guys here do give a little more on the premium side, but still withhold a lot because most of you couldn't handle the info. Not everything is meant for publication. Btw, don't think for a moment this site is no different than nj.com because at the end of the day both are about promoting there product and earn money from it.

I think we get 3-4 of listed players. Harmon, Mitchell and Holloway/Johnson. JG and Walker are too excitable by outside factors.

I bet we get all of them. It does seem that we are still in it for a lot of guys I like. Forget the top 3-4, you give me the 4-12 players we want and we're gonna be doing very very well.

Give me Mitchell, Harmon, Johnson, Rene, Upshur. Fill it in with some solid guys and I'll be telling you Flood is a better recruiter than Schiano or at least is recruiting better.

I bet we get all of them. It does seem that we are still in it for a lot of guys I like. Forget the top 3-4, you give me the 4-12 players we want and we're gonna be doing very very well.

Give me Mitchell, Harmon, Johnson, Rene, Upshur. Fill it in with some solid guys and I'll be telling you Flood is a better recruiter than Schiano or at least is recruiting better.

Add these guys to what we already have, plus a few more fillins and it'll be our best recruiting year ever.

I don't think we we get Mitchell and/or Hawkins because this class is going to be smaller and with Jabbie in and Mack about to commit in a week or two, that leaves potentially one to maybe two openings at WR. There is also an offer out to Be who could also potentially commit soon.

I don't think we we get Mitchell and/or Hawkins because this class is going to be smaller and with Jabbie in and Mack about to commit in a week or two, that leaves potentially one to maybe two openings at WR. There is also an offer out to Be who could also potentially commit soon.

For special players like Mitchell or Hawkins, there will always be space for them regardless of the number of commitments.

I realize this subject can go downhill quickly, but I'll tell you this one point T Hunt post only a fraction of what is told to him by recruits. They guys on this site do the same. The guys here do give a little more on the premium side, but still withhold a lot because most of you couldn't handle the info. Not everything is meant for publication. Btw, don't think for a moment this site is no different than nj.com because at the end of the day both are about promoting there product and earn money from it.
It is different because it is a completely different business model. "Promoting their product and earning money from it" is way too broad of a reasoning to justify calling them the same thing. They cover the same topic, the businesses are completely different.

It is different because it is a completely different business model. "Promoting their product and earning money from it" is way too broad of a reasoning to justify calling them the same thing. They cover the same topic, the businesses are completely different.

Business model may be different, but the goal remains the same...make a profit. Let's move on. We have better things to talk about like what to expect this this year or will Flood get Rutgers over the hump.

For special players like Mitchell or Hawkins, there will always be space for them regardless of the number of commitments.

I'd like to agree with this but we aren't taking 4 WRs no matter how special they may be. And we aren't pulling the ships of kids a la Tennessee when a position is full up and the ships are needed for another position. UNLESS there is talk to move Jabbie to DB ( which I haven't seen), we can't take all the WR talent out there. Plus I forgot about Harmon. This class is REALLY DEEP with WRs and not just GOOD WRs but GREAT WRs. And most are from NJ. Sucks this class will be smaller.

I'd like to agree with this but we aren't taking 4 WRs no matter how special they may be. And we aren't pulling the ships of kids a la Tennessee when a position is full up and the ships are needed for another position. UNLESS there is talk to move Jabbie to DB ( which I haven't seen), we can't take all the WR talent out there. Plus I forgot about Harmon. This class is REALLY DEEP with WRs and not just GOOD WRs but GREAT WRs. And most are from NJ. Sucks this class will be smaller.

If Mitchell or Harmon want to sign with Rutgers on signing day, we will take them, no questions asked. Losers of the ensuing competition get switched to DB.

ADVERTISEMENT