ADVERTISEMENT

Very OT: Check missing in the mail

mikemarc1

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2005
Dumb question..but I barely ever mail checks out (no need to)..two weeks ago I mailed a check out to Texas. Turns out the recipient never received it. (Gave it extra time for the floods..but he said mail is now up to date.)

I guess I should put a stop payment on the check..but if it was written out to the recipient and not cash..is there still need to? Is it that easy to forge? I've heard the fee sometimes isn't even worth it..anything else I should do?

Thanks.

I would guess that depends on how much the check was for. If it was a sum that's significant to you, you might want to go the stop payment route. Banks aren't always good at checking things. I once got envelopes crossed up and sent checks to the wrong people. The bank still cashed one of them. o_O

It's a function of if you trust the recipient. If you mail a second check to them, and the first shows up, they have every right to cash both. All else is fraud.

It's a function of if you trust the recipient. If you mail a second check to them, and the first shows up, they have every right to cash both. All else is fraud.

This would be my answer.

I can't think of many people I'd trust enough, so I'd definitely stop payment and send out a new one. Don't mess with Texas, OP. Cover your ass.

Also, WTF writes a check out to "cash" and mails it? The fact that you clarified that point suggests you should step away from the checkbook and stick to other means of payment.

This would be my answer.

I can't think of many people I'd trust enough, so I'd definitely stop payment and send out a new one. Don't mess with Texas, OP. Cover your ass.

Also, WTF writes a check out to "cash" and mails it? The fact that you clarified that point suggests you should step away from the checkbook and stick to other means of payment.

LOL. True. Like I said, i DO stock to other means of payment most of the time..this was a different scenario. Of course it gets F'd up.

Thanks guys..I guess I'll just cancel it. Not a huge check, but enough that I'd rather pay a fee then lose the money if someone has it.

OP,

Pretty sure that since you made it out to cash, the only person who could cash it is Johnny Cash, but he died. You should be good.

ADVERTISEMENT