ADVERTISEMENT

Wazoo Season Predictions

He knows something nobody else knows about the starting QB or is his statement about Rettig a non-sequitur?:

"But there is plenty of data that shows West Coast teams are at a significant disadvantage when they travel east.New quarterback Hayden Rettig appears to be a high-caliber player and the Scarlet Knights have a 68-percent winning percentage at home over the last three seasons."

This is the kind of "reporting" that makes you wonder about anything else they write.

West Coast teams have a hard time when traveling East? BS. RU went out there last year an won, and despite the close score, RU controlled the game, even with their high powered passing O.

Wow. Rettig is going to be the starting QB for Rutgers this year. Who knew? This Jacob Thorpe dude must have an "in" with the Rutgers coaching staff. Thanks for the heads-up Jacob!

I'm betting that Jacob thinks Rutgers Stadium is in Newark.

IIRC, Zap had some things to say about playing a high level sport after traveling East Coast to West Coast. I believe he said it wasn't as big a deal as many assume.

Anyone have any experience going the opposite way?

IIRC, Zap had some things to say about playing a high level sport after traveling East Coast to West Coast. I believe he said it wasn't as big a deal as many assume.

Anyone have any experience going the opposite way?

Jet lag is worse travelling west to east. Too bad it's not a noon start.

Jet lag is worse travelling west to east. Too bad it's not a noon start.
What's the logic behind that?

When we went out west, it was a 7PM PST start time (so 10PM EST inner clock for our guys), and assuming game ends 3 1/2 hours later, that means our guys will have stayed up equivalent to ~1:30 AM by end of game.

When they come here, game starts at 3:30PM EST, which is 12:30 PST. Seems to me playing when your inner clock is around noon is significantly better than playing when your inner clock is nearly midnight (in the above scenario).

I understand they dont play the same day they arrive, but it seems west coast teams would have an easier time adapting to afternoon and night EST games than vice versa. This however wouldn't be the case for earlier start games.

When we went out west, it was a 7PM PST start time (so 10PM EST inner clock for our guys), and assuming game ends 3 1/2 hours later, that means our guys will have stayed up equivalent to ~1:30 AM by end of game.

When they come here, game starts at 3:30PM EST, which is 12:30 PST. Seems to me playing when your inner clock is around noon is significantly better than playing when your inner clock is nearly midnight (in the above scenario).

I understand they dont play the same day they arrive, but it seems west coast teams would have an easier time adapting to afternoon and night EST games than vice versa. This however wouldn't be the case for earlier start games.

Here's some differences (as I see it).

East coast team leaves home at 9AM arriving on the West coast at 11AM their time. They have almost an entire day to do what they need to do at their own pace. No rush, no fuss. Then they have most of the next day to go over game plan again, lounge around, and get more rest before kickoff. If anything it's a lot like the same routine they go thru for a home game.

West Coast team leaves at 9AM their time, arriving on the East coast around 5PM. By the time they get to Piscataway, it's 630 with kickoff 21 hours away. Everything has to be rushed. Their routine is thrown way off which I understand every coach hates.

Here's some differences (as I see it).

East coast team leaves home at 9AM arriving on the West coast at 11AM their time. They have almost an entire day to do what they need to do at their own pace. No rush, no fuss. Then they have most of the next day to go over game plan again, lounge around, and get more rest before kickoff. If anything it's a lot like the same routine they go thru for a home game.

West Coast team leaves at 9AM their time, arriving on the East coast around 5PM. By the time they get to Piscataway, it's 630 with kickoff 21 hours away. Everything has to be rushed. Their routine is thrown way off which I understand every coach hates.
Very good point. I guess both yours and my situation could be remedied by arriving 2+ days before the game to acclimate internally and have enough time to practice.

Very good point. I guess both yours and my situation could be remedied by arriving 2+ days before the game to acclimate internally and have enough time to practice.

I was thinking the same thing then it struck me that when we were discussing the WSU game last year, I could swear someone said there's an NCAA rule about how early you can arrive for an away game.

The logic is more for the early games. Noon game on the east coast (or 1pm for NFL games) is significantly tougher for the west coast team to get acclimated to than almost any situation regarding an east coast team going west.

The noon start works in our favor. Jet lag is definitely worse going west to east. I typically go to bed at midnight. When I travel back east that's 3:00am. My family wonders why I'm not up at 7:30 when with them, instead sleeping in. At least it is perceived that way. I imagine those WSU kids will have the same problem, only they won't be able to sleep in. A noon start probably has those kids up at 6:30.

They won't be sleeping much before the game.

The noon start works in our favor. Jet lag is definitely worse going west to east. I typically go to bed at midnight. When I travel back east that's 3:00am. My family wonders why I'm not up at 7:30 when with them, instead sleeping in. At least it is perceived that way. I imagine those WSU kids will have the same problem, only they won't be able to sleep in. A noon start probably has those kids up at 6:30.

They won't be sleeping much before the game.

It's a 3:30 kick.

They won't be sleeping much before the game.[/QUOTE

the game is at 3:30

Last edited:
That helps them, though still not as ideal as a later game for them.

12:30 kick for me. :)

ADVERTISEMENT