ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball WBB head coach C.Vivian Stringer will sit out the 2021-22 season.

Fair point, but I have read nothing but supportive comments from her players and they clearly have her back (and almost certainly know more about the situation than us).
Can you please share those supportive comments? I would be interested in reading some of them.

Honestly, if an employer had paid and treated me extremely well over an extended period of time, no I wouldn't be looking to extract everything that I was technically able to pursue. Rather, I would recognize that I am no longer able to deliver the requirements of the position and I would be focused on the best interests of the program and the players who I recruited. Given that she gets paid the same whether she coaches or moves onto an administrative position, I would choose the latter and make a graceful exit, while still being associated with the program and players. Sometimes it is not always about the individual and extracting every last element they are entitled to, but rather about understanding the situation and doing what is right. IMO, she is failing miserably in the latter.
Keep in mind that if she is using accumulated sick leave, she is giving up the opportunity to be paid for it at retirement the way every other Rutgers staffer can.

Hobbs is screwed and has no wiggle room…but then again he gave the five year extension, so this is his to deal with.
What a cluster…

someone has anger issues…reality hard to deal with sunshine?😆🤣

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Angry
Reactions: Scarletwoman
Keep in mind that if she is using accumulated sick leave, she is giving up the opportunity to be paid for it at retirement the way every other Rutgers staffer can.
That is a fair and astute point, and I agree. As I said on another thread though, it is not even about the contract anymore to me. Would I have given her a 5 year extension in April? No. But Hobbs did, and that is a sunk cost and on him. Regardless, as I understand it, she gets paid for the duration of her contract whether she coaches or moves to a senior administrative role. So, either way, she gets her money. Why not just retire, collect her money, and still be involved in the program, all while allowing Rutgers to identify its new coach and provide the players and recruits with some stability? She is just being selfish at this point.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
That is a fair and astute point, and I agree. As I said on another thread though, it is not even about the contract anymore to me. Would I have given her a 5 year extension in April? No. But Hobbs did, and that is a sunk cost and on him. Regardless, as I understand it, she gets paid for the duration of her contract whether she coaches or moves to a senior administrative role. So, either way, she gets her money. Why not just retire, collect her money, and still be involved in the program, all while allowing Rutgers to identify its new coach and provide the players and recruits with some stability? She is just being selfish at this point.

Legends aren’t the best at knowing when to walk away - and it’s still great for us to have her around the program if she decides it’s time to move into an administrative role and away from the rigors of coaching - but I do think she’s earned the right to decide on her own.

Legends aren’t the best at knowing when to walk away - and it’s still great for us to have her around the program if she decides it’s time to move into an administrative role and away from the rigors of coaching - but I do think she’s earned the right to decide on her own.
I am saying she should move into an administrative role. But at this point, she is hurting the program with her inability to decide on her own.

Next time, consider a summary, as I have no idea what you are trying to say here. That said, Hobbs is likely doing it this way because he has no choice. Why CVS is doing it this way is another story.
I'm saying that the players probably are OK with this in reply to you implying they aren't.
I'm saying Hobbs probably supports this out of loyalty to what Stringer has meant over the years to the RU WBB program, in which is in reply to your saying you think doesn't like it and in another thread ( after I posted the reply you want summarized) putting your own interpretation , without knowledge, that he was forced to.
My interpretation is the contract was followed and both could live with the way things went

I'm saying both feel giving Tim a chance to coach the team this year and players are happy about it, my take.

You got the condensed version you asked for and might have been needed ☺️and I will say : I feel only Stringer being gone completely would satisfy you..
But that's what I feel after interacting with you over this issue .

But I do apologize if my long winded replies confuse you and made what I said hard to understand.
Like I say to many that tell me cut to the chase:
I'm of Irish Heritage and many of us Irish tend to turn a short story into a novel and I've been accused of doing that more than once 🤗

I think I know your position on this issue and have stated mine.
Nothing more needs to be said without some kind of proof to back up our saying what we think.

Hope she is & will be OK health wise. Aside from her 1 year leave & use of sick days, the 5 yr contract extension she received was absurd on the face of it. It has been clear for some time that the game had passed her by. To extend her contract like that was ludicrous & beyond the pale.

Hope she is & will be OK health wise. Aside from her 1 year leave & use of sick days, the 5 yr contract extension she received was absurd on the face of it. It has been clear for some time that the game had passed her by. To extend her contract like that was ludicrous & beyond the pale.
That kind of logic will get you angry emojis and called a “hater” …FYI 😉

My guess -- and it's just a guess -- is that it was a way of rewarding her for all that she has done for the program. And we don't know what her financial situation is.

Thank you for your kind words. BTW, and I know this isn't relevant -- there used to be no limit on the amount of accured sick leave for which an employee could be compensated at retirement. I know of people who got lots of money that way. The limit is now $15,000.

Note that this does not apply to faculty. Faculty do not have formal sick leave .The department head or dean decides what to do about a faculty member who cannot teach because of illness. The policy is to "close ranks," which means that the faculty member receives normal pay and others take over the load. I know of colleagues who missed semesters or more because of their or a family member's illness. The "close ranks" policy was established by President Bloustein (president from about 1969 to 1990 or so) after he had a serious heart attack. (He ultimately died of a heart attack.) I don't know how much of this policy for faculty applies to a coach.

Reactions: Ridge 22
My guess -- and it's just a guess -- is that it was a way of rewarding her for all that she has done for the program. And we don't know what her financial situation is.
Let me add something else. It's my guess -- and again, I'm guessing -- is that Stringer's compensation as a women's basketball coach was for a long time a lot less than what a men's basketball coach of the same stature would get. So the five-year contract may partly have been a way of making up for that.

Hobbs has a choice. He can move her to an administrative post paying her full salary as per the contract or leave it as is!

Let me add something else. It's my guess -- and again, I'm guessing -- is that Stringer's compensation as a women's basketball coach was for a long time a lot less than what a men's basketball coach of the same stature would get. So the five-year contract may partly have been a way of making up for that.
Making up for that? What does that even mean?

Last year and the year before ( though 3 years ago and last year's first round exit did pissed people off) might have put a crimp in your description .
Also a 78-36 record over the last 4 years tends to prove still got game, in my opinion.
But Vivian hasn't had the type of success she had before and expectations for the RU WBB program are far higher because of past success, making some feel her game is off.
Some feel the facilities were the problem ( one of the main MBB being bad excuses) others like you feel the game passed her by , even though she has a winning program, just NCAA success has eluded her and that's probably why you feel CVS shouldn't have received the extension she just was given.

Thank you for your kind words. BTW, and I know this isn't relevant -- there used to be no limit on the amount of accured sick leave for which an employee could be compensated at retirement. I know of people who got lots of money that way. The limit is now $15,000.

Note that this does not apply to faculty. Faculty do not have formal sick leave .The department head or dean decides what to do about a faculty member who cannot teach because of illness. The policy is to "close ranks," which means that the faculty member receives normal pay and others take over the load. I know of colleagues who missed semesters or more because of their or a family member's illness. The "close ranks" policy was established by President Bloustein (president from about 1969 to 1990 or so) after he had a serious heart attack. (He ultimately died of a heart attack.) I don't know how much of this policy for faculty applies to a coach.
Wow! Very glad to hear you say this, Camden! Based on your previous post, I was thinking, "I got totally hosed when I retired from RU 16 years ago after 29 years of service!"

Hope you're doing well. We're doing great down here.

Underpaid? Now that’s funny!
Underpaid would not be appropriate in discussing Vivian's Rutgers career. She was well-compensated, in accordance with being a Hall of Famer and being one of the all time great coaches.

Rutgers did make her for many years one of the better paid women's coaches - as of maybe last year she was around 10th in pay, I believe.

If one wants to argue the disparity with men's coaches, that's fine. The argument is simple - they are not typically paid anywhere near what men's coach's make; however, they also don't earn their school the money that the men's program's do. That said, I'm not sure Rutgers ever compensated their men's coach in the top 5% of men's coaches salaries, however.

Reactions: MADHAT1
I and many others were curious to the amount of WBB turnover in the program for some years. Did the players such as Broughton , Diamond Johnson and 4 others know last season know she was probably not returning? Even before Hobb’s himself knew. So strange and yet , as much as I want them to do well going forward , there is much to be wary of with the schedule and teams we play in the B1G . We will see in 2022 because the virus is not going away anytime soon.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT