ADVERTISEMENT

We have ice hockey "pushers" on Twitter.

I would buy season tickets in a heartbeat. I hope we have some type of preliminary plan ready to go in case $100 million falls out of the sky.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
I would buy season tickets in a heartbeat. I hope we have some type of preliminary plan ready to go in case $100 million falls out of the sky.
Yes - I hope that plan is to try to convince the manna dropper to put that money towards other sports that already exist here and where we have a much better chance of being competetive nationally.

what's weird to me is that some of the best college hockey schools are tiny little places you never heard of before.

if they really want to make a push, they can do so by donating millions of dollars.

otherwise they are wasting their time.

if they really want to make a push, they can do so by donating millions of dollars.

otherwise they are wasting their time.
Obviously the goal is to get those donations. If they could have donated millions themselves, clearly they would have.

An "uphill climb" implies that they will eventually make it to the top.

A better analogy is these guys are flapping their arms in hopes of flying to the top of the mountain.
My main concern is that they will get peoples hopes up, and then when the obvious happens and RU doesnt get a hockey team, those people will then be mad at RU.

It is counterproductive and shortsighted, all the money that they are raising they should have raise for actual sports at Rutgers like the new building going next to the RAC and RAC upgrades. Hale Center upgrades, Baseball/Softball upgrades. The new stadiums for Baseball, Softball, Soccer, etc.

We have to get what we have NOW to Big Ten, Power 5 standards before we can even think about adding new sports. Much less sports that cost so much money.

It is counterproductive and shortsighted, all the money that they are raising they should have raise for actual sports at Rutgers like the new building going next to the RAC and RAC upgrades. Hale Center upgrades, Baseball/Softball upgrades. The new stadiums for Baseball, Softball, Soccer, etc.

We have to get what we have NOW to Big Ten, Power 5 standards before we can even think about adding new sports. Much less sports that cost so much money.
Agreed and that was my beef with them. Telling me I have no class (yeah you superfan01) is counterproductive also. I'm fighting for what needs to get done!

My main concern is that they will get peoples hopes up, and then when the obvious happens and RU doesnt get a hockey team, those people will then be mad at RU.

Yep. That is a big part of the reason that so many on this board are showing disdain for this group.
Sorry but this is just ridiculous. Everyone who supports this idea is well aware that it is a longshot and requires a lot of money. Nobody is going to be ridiculing Rutgers over this--if they don't add hockey anytime soon, everyone will know and understand why.

If the people who would be donating the money ncessary to start a hockey team were interested in donating towards other sports, they would have done so already. This isn't taking any donations away from other sports. The paranoia about a Rutgers hockey team is nonsense. If it happens, it won't be until the money is there, and if the money is there, it will be because there are enough dedicated hockey people who aren't interested in donating to other sports.

Reactions: superfan01
FIFY:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

See that's the problem. Reasonable people like you are starting to believe that it is not happening now, but it might happen in the near future. But it is not happening now; it is not happening in 5 years; it is not happening in 10 years; and it is not happening in 15 years. I also don't think that it will happen in 20 years, but that is long enough away that there is some slim chance that there could be some fundamental changes that allow Rutgers to start sponsoring hockey. But it is pretty absurd to start groundswell support today for something that might be possible in 2035, but still probably won't happen.

Sorry but this is just ridiculous. Everyone who supports this idea is well aware that it is a longshot and requires a lot of money. Nobody is going to be ridiculing Rutgers over this--if they don't add hockey anytime soon, everyone will know and understand why.

If the people who would be donating the money ncessary to start a hockey team were interested in donating towards other sports, they would have done so already. This isn't taking any donations away from other sports. The paranoia about a Rutgers hockey team is nonsense. If it happens, it won't be until the money is there, and if the money is there, it will be because there are enough dedicated hockey people who aren't interested in donating to other sports.
Says you. But in this very thread there is a guy who says he will split his donation with hockey and actual projects that are in need of funding right now. So really, its just a distraction. And yes - we have people who are still pissed that RU fired Tim Pernetti after the Mike Rice poopie show - so its pretty reasonable to expect some of RUs fan base to be ridiculous and unforgiving towards RU.

Upstream has it dead on. RU just released a report on upgrading athletics facilities. Notice that there was NO mention of hockey. Not even a - well it would be something we might consider. RU isnt thinking about hockey.

Reactions: Jim_from_RU
Says you. But in this very thread there is a guy who says he will split his donation with hockey and actual projects that are in need of funding right now. So really, its just a distraction. And yes - we have people who are still pissed that RU fired Tim Pernetti after the Mike Rice poopie show - so its pretty reasonable to expect some of RUs fan base to be ridiculous and unforgiving towards RU.

Upstream has it dead on. RU just released a report on upgrading athletics facilities. Notice that there was NO mention of hockey. Not even a - well it would be something we might consider. RU isnt thinking about hockey.
There isn't even an official Rutgers-sanctioned fund for a hockey team yet, so you cant split any kind of donation to the athletic department unless you just give them half as much as you normally would and then donate the other half directly to the guys who have started the campaign, who to my knowledge are not even at the point of accepting donations yet anyway.

How can you possibly compare this to the Pernetti firing? Not starting a team that everyone knows would cost a ton of money that the school doesn't have right now is much different than firing a well-liked athletic director over the actions of someone else. The campaign doesn't even have a year they are aiming for, so when would people even start being mad at RU anyway? Again, the people supporting a Rutgers hockey team are well aware that it would require a ton of money, and that is why the organizers are seeking the donors themselves. None of the organizers or the people who support them are so expecting of a team that they would be pissed off at Rutgers if it doesn't happen. As you mentioned, a hockey rink was not part of the plans released last week, and did you see or hear any backlash from Rutgers hockey fans? This paranoia of people being mad at Rutgers for not starting a hockey team when everyone knows a massive amount of money is needed first is laughable.

Sorry, not interested in another sport we will undoubtedly struggle in. Let's get the ones we do have on track for once instead.

Until we find somebody willing to fund the womens' hockey team any discussion of mens' hockey is strictly a pipe dream and diversion from what we should be focusing on.

Nothing that a few bucks won't fix.

I believe this will happen. Down the road a little ways, but it will happen. And the only way to make it happen is to start now, make a plan, and follow it. Hockey would be a great sport here if proper funding for first class facilities and programs (for men and women) can be arranged. B1G TV $$$ will help a lot, especially with hockey.

Nothing that a few bucks won't fix.

I believe this will happen. Down the road a little ways, but it will happen. And the only way to make it happen is to start now, make a plan, and follow it. Hockey would be a great sport here if proper funding for first class facilities and programs (for men and women) can be arranged. B1G TV $$$ will help a lot, especially with hockey.

You want to divert B1G TV $$$ from other sports to hockey? People who think hockey will happen "down the road a little ways" need to figure out how to raise the $100 MM needed without taking away from other sports.

The $100 million, or whatever the cost would be to start hockey would largely come from people donating specifically to a Rutgers hockey team. The athletic department isn't coming up with that on their own, so no they wouldn't be spending $100 million to make $2 million a year, and a hockey team could be profitable too so you have to add that to the BTN payout.

Not to add fuel to the fire, but collectively, we represent a huge base of sports fans, and there's no reason why Rutgers couldn't have both football and ice hockey. If everyone who was interested just set aside 25-50% of their planned B1G Build donation for ice hockey, we would be noticed in almost no time. Sorry to disagree with the other posters, but I think ice hockey could be feasible in 5 years if we act now.

So you want to spend $100 million to make an extra $2 million per year? :flushed:

First of all, we don't have the $100 million. Second, just as there are people who would donate for a specific need, such as a library, a Hillel, a department chair, etc or a recruiting facility for a stadium, there may in fact be people who would like to put their money toward a hockey facility and program. It's happened elsewhere and it can happen here. For RU, more great options for those with money to give is a very good thing and should be encouraged.

Last edited:
Reactions: robcac26
If everyone who was interested just set aside 25-50% of their planned B1G Build donation for ice hockey, we would be noticed in almost no time.

That's why there is opposition to those trying to rally support for Hockey. If people set aside 25-50% of their planned donation for hockey, then hockey is taking away from other already-established sports that desperately need the money.

If people gave 25-50% MORE, IN ADDITION to their planned donation, that would be a different story. But it is naïve to think that would really happen.

See that's the problem. Reasonable people like you are starting to believe that it is not happening now, but it might happen in the near future. But it is not happening now; it is not happening in 5 years; it is not happening in 10 years; and it is not happening in 15 years. I also don't think that it will happen in 20 years, but that is long enough away that there is some slim chance that there could be some fundamental changes that allow Rutgers to start sponsoring hockey. But it is pretty absurd to start groundswell support today for something that might be possible in 2035, but still probably won't happen.

I don't recall ever mentioning a date or a timetable?

I am just not a fan of using the term "never" as it pertains to anything with regard to Rutgers or RU Athletics. Because if we listened to some of those "nevers" spoken /written over the years...

ADVERTISEMENT