ADVERTISEMENT

What is Chris Ash's Vision??

@rutgersal has become a disgrace to this board. He needs to go back to Miami.

Im a fan, not a cheerleader. Calling it as I see it. As we get older, we realize the most valuable commodity we have is time. We want to see progress and hopefully we'll see a National Championship before we drop dead. So some of us feel a sense of urgency, which not everyone feels. For now, all Im looking for is forward progress.

Al, I'll speak for myself and I am sure several others. Just don't call it at all. Your open criticism of Ash is often unwarranted and uncalled for. It adds nothing to anything!

Al, I'll speak for myself and I am sure several others. Just don't call it at all. Your open criticism of Ash is often unwarranted and uncalled for. It adds nothing to anything!

You don't like criticism. Tough. Losing 41-0 to Indiana, playing non-competitively against PSU, OSU, UM, and MSU this past season, turning in the 2nd worst big ten recruiting class in February demonstrates to me that criticism is warranted. We're not just losing, we're getting embarrassed.

I admire your ability to wave the pom-poms and pretend that nothing is wrong. But thankfully, he is making changes to facilitate our future success:
  • 32 offers sent to Florida Recruits
  • a tweet demonstrating vision

Reactions: RUaMoose and RUwoz
Al are you honestly telling us that you think that losing to Indiana and MSU at the end of last season by a combined score of 81-7 was unacceptable in the second year of Lord Ash's reign? You are either with us and support Lord Ash or against us in which case you must ostracized and banished to the realm of trolls. In all seriousness, give the guy a chance before you kill him, two years is not enough time to evaluate a new coach. If he doesn't produce wins in year 4 then maybe it is time for him to be put on the hot seat, but not before.

Al are you honestly telling us that you think that losing to Indiana and MSU at the end of last season by a combined score of 81-7 was unacceptable in the second year of Lord Ash's reign? You are either with us and support Lord Ash or against us in which case you must ostracized and banished to the realm of trolls. In all seriousness, give the guy a chance before you kill him, two years is not enough time to evaluate a new coach. If he doesn't produce wins in year 4 then maybe it is time for him to be put on the hot seat, but not before.

I was about to blow a gasket but then read the rest of your post and agree 111%...I just think it’s funny that Al is so critical of Ash but “Flood tried his best” so that’s all cool:joy:, even though Ash is the one who had to clean up the toxic spill and fallout “Mr. Tried his best” left in his wake...and if you don’t agree in full with Al you’re “waving the Pom-poms”:joy::joy:

Joe P.

Last edited:
Al are you honestly telling us that you think that losing to Indiana and MSU at the end of last season by a combined score of 81-7 was unacceptable in the second year of Lord Ash's reign?

And what was the score on November 3, 2001 during the early days of St Greg? And I remember that so clearly because that was my wedding day.

Al, the only embarrassment is you and how you go on other school boards etc. And your analysis of this year's is subject to review not now but 3 years from now. If all is so unbearable then quit now and root for Miami. You have gone from outlandish over evaluation and projections to being overly critical of Ash and staff. You quickly forget or don't fully understand the mess he inherited. Some things you will never know and that's the way it should be.

And what was the score on November 3, 2001 during the early days of St Greg? And I remember that so clearly because that was my wedding day.

As Al has pointed out, with Schiano you accepted the blowout losses somewhat because you saw the caliber of recruits he was bringing in from the state of Rutgers ( which included FL if I'm not mistaken) was way better than his predecessor and that it was only a matter of time. We saw that come to fruition 2004 against MSU, his first signature win. With Ash it just doesn't seem that way. His recruiting is a lot closer to Jersey Power than it was to Schiano circa 2003.

Everyone has a vision. Not everyone has the experience or tools to implement the vision. Ash was hired without Head Coach experience. Selecting the young coach from James Madison as his first OC showed Ash's inexperience. Hiring Kill (who was never an OC) showed Ash was still learning. How long it takes Ash to grow into his vision is the question. I don't see any 5 Star recruits committing to a vision unless it is in plain sight and demonstrable.

As Al has pointed out, with Schiano you accepted the blowout losses somewhat because you saw the caliber of recruits he was bringing in from the state of Rutgers ( which included FL if I'm not mistaken) was way better than his predecessor and that it was only a matter of time. We saw that come to fruition 2004 against MSU, his first signature win. With Ash it just doesn't seem that way. His recruiting is a lot closer to Jersey Power than it was to Schiano circa 2003.

MSU was Year 4 (and went 5-6 that year); you’re glossing over a lot of football there...and we still weren’t out of the woods yet as New Hampshire taught us...and when Navy took a 59-7 3rd/ 4th quarter lead on us later that same season. Schiano was a better recruiter though.

Joe P.

Last edited:
Reactions: MoobyCow
This is the year that makes or breaks Ash. He has shown poor coaching and marginal recruiting to date, but was fortunate to win 4 games to show improvement on paper. If he can somehow win 5 or more games and continues to learn maybe the recruiting picks up and we head in the right direction. I thought it was wise of him to say no qb starter will be named in the spring, so hopefully this keeps Gio in the fold. My fear is we win less than four games and recruiting falls into the 60+ range and 5th year transfers become more common, and a downward spiral is inevitable, and we are on the hook with him for 5 more years.

Reactions: BigTenRutgers
After 3 years and 500+ post thread, there is finally a tweet from Chris Ash that I would consider to be a vision. Be The Best We can Be Here. I now feel a sense of direction and purpose for the program. I'll take it. It's so important to include the keyword "Best" in our messaging because THIS is what elite recruits want to hear. It's the first time I've hear Chris Ash use the word best.

Whether we become the best isn't the point, its the desire to be the best which is most important, and that is the message that needs to be communicated.

Since this site is about to die tonight I feel fine posting here again.

Few things, half of you, especially those criticizing Ash, have no idea what the hell you're even talking about. It's actually funny reading the posts on here, just shows a complete lack of understanding of how college programs run.

Second, Al, for the love of God this post right here is just HILARIOUS. You're asking what Ash's vision is, and then you say that after 500 posts you've finally seen something alluding to a vision and can now feel a direction for the program.

That quote is from Ash's introductory press conference.

Hopefully only the good posters come over to 247.

Reactions: RU62
Ash hasn't done anything since he's been here. We will see this year .but again, I don't understand the dogmatic loyalty to the guy from some of you, it's delusional.

We all hope he succeeds and does well, but no, another bad year and we won't just keep thinking he's such a great HC. He has no resume I don't understand the conviction some have that he's such a good HC.

P.S. yes, I know he's "changed the culture" huge steps huge steps. "The hunt" instead of "chop" and the forgettable uniforms has been HUGE for the program I know. But aside from those power moves I mean.
Il its not so much that there is blind loyalty as you allude to, all those saying he hasn't done anything are really not taking into any consideration as to what he walked in to. Al can't add as he keeps inferring 4 years when he is starting his 3rd year as a coach. If you can't see the improvements he has made with the team from a coaching point of view I don't know what to tell you and those who agree with you

sent offers means nothing if you don't have boots on the ground to support. there have been reports that our coaches have recently been recruiting the midwest. i haven't read similar reports about our coaches visiting Florida. lots of offers are sent, but we can only accept 25 max.
I thought sent offers meant recruiting the kids. Can't have it both ways
Al

Reactions: RUDead
Bump .......... sorry Al, you don't get to switch gears and all of a sudden become mr. roses and sunshine again.

ADMIT YOU WERE DEAD WRONG - and maybe we'll let you back in.

Isn’t @rutgersal now being paid by the 247 people (through receiving free premium services) to post exclusively on that board? Total joke.

BUMP

In case people have forgotten, here's a summary of Al's points:
  • Ash has no vision.
  • As a result, Ash's three recruiting classes have all sucked.
  • Ash especially can't recruit NJ and doesn't have any good players from NJ.
  • To compensate, Ash chose to recruit NY, where recruits aren't as good as NJ.
  • Ash also didn't want to recruit Florida and chose to recruit players from other states instead.
  • Ash has not done well recruiting from these other states and doesn't have any good players to show for it.
  • And since Ash has sucked in recruiting for three years he concerned that we will continue to suck in the B1G.
He was simply "calling it like it is"

I don't I don't think it's people that don't like ash. If you have to ask what his vision is or go back to when he was hired then he's not selling his vision. Some of you people don't realize that you live on this board and a bubble and the rest of the state knows Diddley about the guy or what he's trying to do. All the state knows is that he makes bonehead move games he seemingly can't win games and the program is at the bottom of the Big Ten. This board is not representative of the state or the high school coaching Community where the reviews are more than mixed and mostly turning negative

Greg was a terrific salesman and Ash needs to stop looking constipated and lost on the sidelines get out get in front of the media talk to people visit every single high school in the state and sell the program
You know not what u speak of. Most reviews from people who count - re hs coaches recruits other coaches (p5) have been saying a lot of positive things about him. As many are saying need to give this rebuild the time it needs .

His goal is to make enough noise at Rutgers that a bigger school takes notice and hires him as HC. Ash has never seemed to be a guy who planned to stick around for 10 years or more. Just the truth
And what makes you think your statement is the truth. When he turns the program around - I like to think positive - he may not want to leave and if he did maybe RU is a destination job. You and everyone else on here have no idea what the future will bring but we will be getting a better idea of where its headed after each year

As many are saying need to give this rebuild the time it needs .
One more year: He has to win at least 5 games this season. Shea, Schiano and Flood all accomplished that, with the first two under much more challenging circumstances. We should all demand the same from Ash.

One more year: He has to win at least 5 games this season. Shea, Schiano and Flood all accomplished that, with the first two under much more challenging circumstances. We should all demand the same from Ash.

Ash has the hardest schedule. Although, I'd argue that Schiano had the worse team when he took over.

Isn’t @rutgersal now being paid by the 247 people (through receiving free premium services) to post exclusively on that board? Total joke.
Whoa whoa whoa...is this true?!?
I'll pay for his subscription if it keeps him there.
He might not be on THIS Rivals site but he is still on Rivals doing his thing....

https://forums.rivals.com/threads/r...tate-and-michigan.817506/page-2#post-24599015

And it is going just how you think it would be going.

He got a fresh start on the other board. Some posters there actually take him seriously. Or at least they are more tolerant of his outrageous posts.

Coach Ash does not have to win five games to be back in 2019. Please stop with this nonsense.

Yeah, how dare I ask for the same results as Greg Schiano and Terry Shea delivered in their third seasons, not to mention Kyle Flood, who won 8.
Your problem with your analysis is you are comparing apples and oranges. Chris Ash will keep his job if he continues to do the following - and I am listing them in what I think are the most important.
1. Keep the program clean with no off field issues.
2. Get the players graduated.
3 Continue to improve the culture of the program.
4.Continue to get top NJ recruits to at least visit and camp
5. win the games we are supposed to win, win at least half of the toss up games and stay competitive with the big boys
6. win 1 or 2 recruiting battles for a 4 or 5 star.

If he can start to do thee things over the next 2 or 3 years we will be fine.
You also forgot to mention that Kyle Flood won 8 games with Schiano recruits so that doesn't fly with me.

Reactions: hoquat63
1. Keep the program clean with no off field issues.
2. Get the players graduated.
3 Continue to improve the culture of the program.
4.Continue to get top NJ recruits to at least visit and camp
5. win the games we are supposed to win, win at least half of the toss up games and stay competitive with the big boys
6. win 1 or 2 recruiting battles for a 4 or 5 star.
Terry Shea accomplished 1-4. Neither he or Ash have accomplished 5 or 6, with the major red flag for Ash being the Eastern Michigan loss in Year 2. And by the way, Shea had tough schedules to deal with, as the Big East had several power teams those years. We also played Notre Dame twice in those five years and Texas once.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT