ADVERTISEMENT

What is your favorite Seafood during the summer

RUtix4me

All American
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2015
i admit I am a sucker for clam strips, onion rings and coleslaw while up on the Cape. Healthy wise I like a nice grilled tuna. I also love the chowda on the Cape, but I eat in moderation as it is really just clams in congealed milk and butter.

I know I am not at the Jersey Shore, but the wife's vacation habits rule most years.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteBus
In down neck Newark the big soft shell crabs in either oil and garlic or Francois sauce.

I will be on Cape Cod this week, and the Lobster Rolls are very good.

In down neck Newark the big soft shell crabs in either oil and garlic or Francois sauce.

I will be on Cape Cod this week, and the Lobster Rolls are very good.
---------
Soft shell crabs also, since the season is fairly short for them while most other seafoods are available longer

---------
Soft shell crabs also, since the season is fairly short for them while most other seafoods are available longer
Odd - I too love soft shell crabs, but didn't realize there was a season. Don't they molt year round?

Odd - I too love soft shell crabs, but didn't realize there was a season. Don't they molt year round?
-------------------

could be, but I think most of the places I eat at never seem to carry them in the winter......I know of one place in NYC has them year round, but I thought they just froze them in quantity.

Love swordfish steaks on the grill with some cajun seasoning. I also do same with salmon but you can't put it directly on the grill since it falls apart. A piece of tin foil with a little non-stick spray comes in handy in that case

-------------------

could be, but I think most of the places I eat at never seem to carry them in the winter......I know of one place in NYC has them year round, but I thought they just froze them in quantity.
Frozen - ah, makes sense.

Blue crabs hands down. Being from Maryland, that is an easy answer.

Blue crabs molt several times a year. There is no season, anymore than there is a season for crabs in general, that being the end of spring into early fall on the Chesapeake. In warmer climates like Louisiana, the are year round.

Crabs can have a 3 year lifespan provided they aren't caught first. In that time they would molt 20-25 times for males, and females even higher.

You are eating them frozen in the winter in NYC because they are very likely shipped from La.

Seafood. <shudder>

If God wanted us to eat seafood, he would've given us gills.

If a cow were to dip it's front hoof into a puddle, it'd be off my list of acceptable foods to eat.

If a chicken were to leave the coop during a rainstorm, I'd take it off my menu.

Tell me lobsters and crabs don't look exactly like sea-borne cockroaches that survived Chernobyl.

Lobster.

Mr. Screw and I will be heading to Kennebunkport, Maine in a few weeks. I plan to eat pretty much nothing but lobster roll for every meal.

apparently he'll be having hotdogs.

Reactions: mildone
Lobster.

Mr. Screw and I will be heading to Kennebunkport, Maine in a few weeks. I plan to eat pretty much nothing but lobster roll for every meal.

apparently he'll be having hotdogs***.

***Disclaimer: The word "hotdog" is probably not a euphemism, metaphor or other reference to any phallic object or symbol.

Reactions: mildone
Toss up between oysters and lobster. Leaning towards lobster, as we steamed up a bunch of them Saturday night, and I had lobster salad from the leftovers for lunch today.

Ahhh, Cape Cod. Used to go there for a week every summer, when my wife's father used to rent a house in North Truro for August, but he stopped doing that about 8-9 years ago, as he's gotten too old (and his 3rd wife died). Anyway, best place for lobster rolls was Clem and Ursie's in P-town, but they closed a few years ago. Used to love just going to the local market, buying a bunch of fresh seafood, cooking it up and eating it on the deck while watching the sunset on the water (we were on the bay side).

Love soft shell crabs, too - always like to get them right at the beginning of the Atlantic season in May at Sophie's in NB (very tasty); see the link. I also enjoy going to Bahr's in Atlantic Highlands at least 2-3 times each summer. Not the most amazing seafood restaurant in the world, but it's a cool place overlooking Sandy Hook, it's usually fresh, and it's a bit of a tradition. Usually get a combo with lobster tail, as I love all seafood.

http://gardenandgun.com/article/here-come-soft-shells

Fried Clams

Salmon and Mango salsa on the grill (in foil)

Steamed Clams from Blackys

Last edited:
I just bought a boat and am moored in the Fla Keys...I am considering living aboard full time ....so far I LOVE pompano...they are leapers and we find at least a few on our deck every AM daily when we moor offshore...fried in butter MMmmm.......and we have been successful in netting Fla Keys pink shrimp....Oh...and red snapper is pretty good eating as well.......we have been eating fish daily...

Reactions: newell138
Seafood. <shudder>
Tell me lobsters and crabs don't look exactly like sea-borne cockroach that survived Chernobyl.

Yes, they look like Sea Scorpions! But they are not related. There is a sea creature that really is closely related to Scorpions and Spiders but it is not crustaceans.

But, I don't think you care.. so never mind...

Yes, they look like Sea Scorpions! But they are not related. There is a sea creature that really is closely related to Scorpions and Spiders but it is not crustaceans.

But, I don't think you care.. so never mind...
Actually, I am curious. To which sea creature do you refer?

The 1st person to crack open a lobster and eat it was a brave person....but I am glad they did....
I believe lobsters were once served as prison food. They were considered a low-cost food.
Times have changed.

I dont think this is seasonal for me, but fish tacos with guacamole and mango salsa. I've been using cod lately, but mahi mahi too.
Seared ahi tuna, lobster, Chilean sea bass...

Damn - these posts are making me hungry. I've been spending a lot of time in Houston this summer and enjoying plenty of Gulf oysters on the half shell. My favs are from San Antonio Bay. For the longest time, I've not indulged because I listened to Northeastern oyster snobs who said Gulf oysters taste like tap water. They can continue to believe that while I feast these beauties.

Damn - these posts are making me hungry. I've been spending a lot of time in Houston this summer and enjoying plenty of Gulf oysters on the half shell. My favs are from San Antonio Bay. For the longest time, I've not indulged because I listened to Northeastern oyster snobs who said Gulf oysters taste like tap water. They can continue to believe that while I feast these beauties.

Nothing is more overrated than Northeastern oysters. I sense an inferiority complex.

grilled shrimp with my citrus rum marinade
alaskan king crabs with butter
pan seared scallops with lemon and garlic

I dont think this is seasonal for me, but fish tacos with guacamole and mango salsa. I've been using cod lately, but mahi mahi too.
Seared ahi tuna, lobster, Chilean sea bass...

I've been eating a lot of fish tacos/burritos this summer. Tilapia, mango salsa and cole slaw. I prefer to make them on the burrito as you get more filling as opposed to the traditional taco shell

I just bought a boat and am moored in the Fla Keys...I am considering living aboard full time ....so far I LOVE pompano...they are leapers and we find at least a few on our deck every AM daily when we moor offshore...fried in butter MMmmm.......and we have been successful in netting Fla Keys pink shrimp....Oh...and red snapper is pretty good eating as well.......we have been eating fish daily...

That is living the dream! So jealous

Type of boat, if you don't mind my asking?

I'm always interested in people's choices of liveaboards.

We're leaving for Provincetown tomorrow morning w wife , 18 year old son and his 17 year old girlfriend. My sister has a great home on Commercial St in town by the Art Museum, on the water. I had to prepare them for what Provincetown is like now, lol. High School Kids now are very tolerant of 'diverse' lifestyes and both asked why I would even bring it up. They're right, I guess. We'll go out whale watching, take my sisters jeep and do an over the dune tour to Race Point Beach (she has a permit), hit up some good craft beer bars, and restaurants of course. Probably will hit The Mews, The Red Inn, Fanizzzi's, Squeeling Pig, and Nor Easter Craft beer bar. Will rent bikes too and tour the town.

Ahhh, Cape Cod. Used to go there for a week every summer, when my wife's father used to rent a house in North Truro for August, but he stopped doing that about 8-9 years ago, as he's gotten too old (and his 3rd wife died). Anyway, best place for lobster rolls was Clem and Ursie's in P-town, but they closed a few years ago. Used to love just going to the local market, buying a bunch of fresh seafood, cooking it up and eating it on the deck while watching the sunset on the water (we were on the bay side).

Love soft shell crabs, too - always like to get them right at the beginning of the Atlantic season in May at Sophie's in NB (very tasty); see the link. I also enjoy going to Bahr's in Atlantic Highlands at least 2-3 times each summer. Not the most amazing seafood restaurant in the world, but it's a cool place overlooking Sandy Hook, it's usually fresh, and it's a bit of a tradition. Usually get a combo with lobster tail, as I love all seafood.

http://gardenandgun.com/article/here-come-soft-shells

5101568387_acd78be5ab_z.jpg

Reactions: jerzey devil
ADVERTISEMENT