ADVERTISEMENT

What is your favorite Seafood during the summer

5101568387_acd78be5ab_z.jpg
How anybody got the idea that one should eat that is beyond me. LOL

I just bought a boat and am moored in the Fla Keys...I am considering living aboard full time ....so far I LOVE pompano...they are leapers and we find at least a few on our deck every AM daily when we moor offshore...fried in butter MMmmm.......and we have been successful in netting Fla Keys pink shrimp....Oh...and red snapper is pretty good eating as well.......we have been eating fish daily...
Try Cobia. You should Love it.

I've been eating a lot of fish tacos/burritos this summer. Tilapia, mango salsa and cole slaw. I prefer to make them on the burrito as you get more filling as opposed to the traditional taco shell

Yep, I agree. i use the soft fajita/burrito as well.

I just bought a boat and am moored in the Fla Keys...I am considering living aboard full time ....so far I LOVE pompano...they are leapers and we find at least a few on our deck every AM daily when we moor offshore...fried in butter MMmmm.......and we have been successful in netting Fla Keys pink shrimp....Oh...and red snapper is pretty good eating as well.......we have been eating fish daily...

Do you go out diving when they have the small windows for spiny lobster season? I was in the keys last year around this time and we just saw loads of boaters out trying to fill their quota.

We're leaving for Provincetown tomorrow morning w wife , 18 year old son and his 17 year old girlfriend. My sister has a great home on Commercial St in town by the Art Museum, on the water. I had to prepare them for what Provincetown is like now, lol. High School Kids now are very tolerant of 'diverse' lifestyes and both asked why I would even bring it up. They're right, I guess. We'll go out whale watching, take my sisters jeep and do an over the dune tour to Race Point Beach (she has a permit), hit up some good craft beer bars, and restaurants of course. Probably will hit The Mews, The Red Inn, Fanizzzi's, Squeeling Pig, and Nor Easter Craft beer bar. Will rent bikes too and tour the town.

Go to Macs in Wellfleet, I was there today for some Oysters on the half, steamers and chowder. Prices at the pier are pretty good, and it is BYOB

Love swordfish steaks on the grill with some cajun seasoning. I also do same with salmon but you can't put it directly on the grill since it falls apart. A piece of tin foil with a little non-stick spray comes in handy in that case
----------

Swordfish is the best fish when you want Cajun or blackened

French fried lobster at Howards on LBI
Sounds great. I've eaten lobster hundreds of times all up the coast to Maine and down in the Caribbean. My favorite is still the grilled lobster at red lobster. I don't know why or how I even came to eat at such a crappy place that one fateful day years ago, but it is what it is.

Snow crab or seared scallops would be my favorite seafood though.

Love swordfish steaks on the grill with some cajun seasoning. I also do same with salmon but you can't put it directly on the grill since it falls apart. A piece of tin foil with a little non-stick spray comes in handy in that case

Trust me on this......cedar plank salmon. It will change your life on grilled fish!

Seafood. <shudder>

If God wanted us to eat seafood, he would've given us gills.

If a cow were to dip it's front hoof into a puddle, it'd be off my list of acceptable foods to eat.

If a chicken were to leave the coop during a rainstorm, I'd take it off my menu.

Tell me lobsters and crabs don't look exactly like sea-borne cockroaches that survived Chernobyl.

Lobsters and crabs aren't far away from cockroaches, from a phylogenetic perspective. You got a problem eating cockroaches? Steamed with drawn butter. Yum.

Lobsters and crabs aren't far away from cockroaches, from a phylogenetic perspective. You got a problem eating cockroaches? Steamed with drawn butter. Yum.
-------------------

all I would ask is if someone you are with orders some of the seafood mentioned here, give it a taste....you don't have to order it, but at least see if you might like it.....I know a few people that "hated" seafood and wound up looking for it on a menu later on.

so many are so reluctant to try something new......If you have tried and did not like it, fine..

I have tried just about everything that I could, and rarely have I thought it was a mistake....

Heading to New Orleans this weekend and am looking forward to BBQ Shrimp, among other things seafood. It's not actually barbecued but it is phenomenal.

-------------------

all I would ask is if someone you are with orders some of the seafood mentioned here, give it a taste....you don't have to order it, but at least see if you might like it.....I know a few people that "hated" seafood and wound up looking for it on a menu later on.

so many are so reluctant to try something new......If you have tried and did not like it, fine..

I have tried just about everything that I could, and rarely have I thought it was a mistake....
I actually liked seafood well enough when I was a kid. But in a reversal of how these things usually work, I seem to have grown out of it as an adult.

Heading to New Orleans this weekend and am looking forward to BBQ Shrimp, among other things seafood. It's not actually barbecued but it is phenomenal.
----------
We have recently had a thread on places there, but if saunter past Dragos, stop in for a dozen charred oysters

I actually liked seafood well enough when I was a kid. But in a reversal of how these things usually work, I seem to have grown out of it as an adult.
--------

Fair enough, as long as you did not go your whole life with a try......that is all I would have suggested

--------

Fair enough, as long as you did not go your whole life with a try......that is all I would have suggested
I completely agree with that approach. One should almost always try stuff before rejecting it out of hand. I say almost because, unless I'm starving in the woods, I'm not about to try any of @RU848789's steamed cockroaches or other insects.

I completely agree with that approach. One should almost always try stuff before rejecting it out of hand. I say almost because, unless I'm starving in the woods, I'm not about to try any of @RU848789's steamed cockroaches or other insects.
---------

I tell my friends the time that I took my 10 year old daughter to a restaurant and the waiter asked what she wanted, I guess he was expecting the usual chicken fingers/ mozzarella stick order......she told him to bring the escargot then soft shell crabs......the guy looked at me and I basically indicated "you heard her right"

Last edited:
Allergic to shellfish so I stick to the fins. Love a good tuna or swordfish steak. Jump at the chance whenever I see shark on the menu

Had a version at Mr. B's in the Quarter and thought it was phenomenal. I tried to reproduce at home but didn't quite hit the mark.

Reactions: rutexan84
I love all seafood - just not raw.
Same Here ,Sushi:alien:
Will eat any seafood anytime, love it but tend to get a gout attack if have too many shellfish with beer. Favorites are bluecrab, Cape May Salt Oysters and littleneck clams. Fish Fluke/flounder or real fresh bluefish

I just went spear fishing for the first time... Landed some sea trout and a good number of flounder. Smoked the sea trout, and served cold with veggies, dark rye bread, salad and creme fraiche. Fried the flounder in butter and cornmeal, and served with new potatoes and hollandaise. Ridiculously fresh and wonderful.

I was in New Orleans a month back and went to town on Oysters and seafood Po Boys... Hit Mr. Ed's, Acme's and Trennasse, among other places. All of the food - seafood or otherwise - was tremendous.

Reactions: Mike from MD

BBQ shrimp is fantastic!!!! I have no idea why it is called BBQ shrimp since it never sees a grill or smoker!

But the shrimp rest in butter and and a combination of spices that will cause your taste buds to explode, and your stomach will long for antacids!

I believe lobsters were once served as prison food. They were considered a low-cost food.
Times have changed.

They're bottom feeders, so they used to be considered low class eats. Love them, though.

Big fan of fish tacos in the summer, any kind of grilled shrimp, blue crabs I caught myself. Nothing like feasting on corn on the cob, beers, and crabs you took out of the water that morning.
I love raw oysters. I thought the best season for oysters is during the "r" months (September, October... Football season, basically). Won't argue too much. They are nice anytime, outside near the water.

They're bottom feeders, so they used to be considered low class eats. Love them, though.

Big fan of fish tacos in the summer, any kind of grilled shrimp, blue crabs I caught myself. Nothing like feasting on corn on the cob, beers, and crabs you took out of the water that morning.
I love raw oysters. I thought the best season for oysters is during the "r" months (September, October... Football season, basically). Won't argue too much. They are nice anytime, outside near the water.

The eating oysters only during the r months only really applies to wild oysters; something along the lines of 80% of the oysters we consume are farmed and it doesn't make a difference. During summer months, wild oysters breed and they get all bloated and tasteless. Farmed oysters, thanks in large part to Rutgers researchers at the Haskin shellfish research station don't have this issue. They're fascinating creatures.

I just slurped a dozen beauties last night down here in Tampa.

Reactions: Mike from MD
places like Williams Sonoma or Sur La Table carry them.

or you can order from Amazon and have them delivered to your house by Thursday.

http://www.amazon.com/Cedar-Grillin...8&qid=1438124624&sr=8-1&keywords=cedar+planks

Mrs. Screw,
The next time that you are in Williams-Sonoma, ask for a tin of their Potlatch Seasoning. It is a 3ounce tin of select spices that work perfectly with cedar plank salmon.

Be sure to soak the cedar plank for 20-30 minutes in water and rinse off the salmon. Then lay it skin side down on the cedar plank. Sprinkle a generous amount of the seasoning on the salmon. Have your grill set at medium to medium-high heat and put the cedar plank on the grill. Close the lid and come back to it in 20 minutes. It will be ready to enjoy as an entrée or over mixed lettuce for a great salad!

For those who grill fish but get upset when parts of the fish fall through the grill grates, or think that grilling fish is too difficult, have you tried the Yoshi mat?

I bought one recently and love using it. It is flexible mat that you lay directly on the grill grates and you can grill fish and vegetables without them falling through the grates. It even allows the "burn" marks to come through. Clean up is easy with soap and water and it rolls up for easy storage.

I bought mine at the local grocery store for $10.

-------------------

I think you're confusing me with mildone. I eat every kind of seafood imaginable, cooked, raw, whatever. Love it. As my father-in-law, who's Jewish, but not kosher, often says, they really ought to reconsider the "ban" on shellfish, lol...

I think you're confusing me with mildone. I eat every kind of seafood imaginable, cooked, raw, whatever. Love it. As my father-in-law, who's Jewish, but not kosher, often says, they really ought to reconsider the "ban" on shellfish, lol...
------

You are right, intended for mildone

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT