ADVERTISEMENT

What's the general consensus regarding your coach.

TwinDegrees2

All Conference
Aug 8, 2009
How long has he been there and will he be back? I have to question from what I've seen whether he's "good enough' to lead your program in the Big Ten, but I've only watched him a few games.

Great guy. Bleeds Scarlet. A Rutgers legend. But facing a nearly impossible task. Another year like this one and most of the talk on this board won't about our next game, but who is brave (or stupid) enough to try their hand at his job.

He's the worst we've had since that I can remember in 40 years but unfortunately he will be back.

We never cut our losses around here. We just get worse

He took over 2 years ago after the Rice scandal with only 4 scholarship players. He was hired late and had to scramble to get players, so basically, we are talking about 1 recruiting class. Getting a top 75 and top 10 point guard was a good accomplishment. Next year we will finally have a full roster.

Just hoping coaches like Masiello, Dan and Bobby Hurley, and Andy Toole are still at their current schools when we look for a new coach two years from now...

Originally posted by MCKnight2004:
Just hoping coaches like Masiello, Dan and Bobby Hurley, and Andy Toole are still at their current schools when we look for a new coach two years from now...
Sure.....they'll recruit top 10 classes to Rutgers.

They definitely would recruit better talent, but more important, they would coach and develop players better, instill some youthful energy in a dead program, and hold players accountable to play defense and with max effort

EJ defenders and proponents have very shaky ground to stand on after two dismal seasons, a 15 game losing streak, lack of competitiveness and no player development outside of Greg Lewis in two years. You can't say any of our freshman even developed this season, his recruits, and that's on him right now.

Don't complain about our team. How can a coach making over $1 million a year be expected to ever make us competitive?

Why did Hurley want 7 years?

Because he is a realist and knew how long the recovery would take after Rice .

HURLEY was a recruiter at Rutgers years ago..... do you know who his top recruit was at the time?

Don't know?..........???.....EXACTLY

and that was without a scandal.

This post was edited on 3/12 12:22 AM by RU-Choppin-Ohio

It's a 7 year contract. Not 7 years to be competiive. And that request doesn't mean our current coach is doing a good job.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

HURLEY was a recruiter at Rutgers years ago..... do you know who his top recruit was at the time?

Don't know?...............EXACTLY

Hurley is a GOD... he could have turned 4 scholarship players in a BIG contender in 2 years.

Hurley hate strong here. Is take Masiello, Cluess, Lonergon or Bobby too. Feel free to insult them as well

Hurley hate strong here. Id take Masiello, Cluess, Lonergon or Bobby too. Feel free to insult them as well

No hate.... just understand there are no miracles workers that will turn this thing around in 2 years and 1 full recruiting class.....I call it common sense.

he has had one recruiting class. Williard has been there 5 years with no NCAA. Some of these kids have no bb IQ. Daniels to me is the worst. Remember Johnny Dawkins took over a Stanford team that has been to NCAA a lot over last 20 years. Took him 5 years to make the tourney. Some of you expect miracles?
This post was edited on 3/12 6:15 AM by shields

Ruman, coaches here have come and gone. Starts at the top and Barchi needs to go. RU choppin agree with you.
This post was edited on 3/12 6:48 AM by shields

Originally posted by TwinDegrees2:
How long has he been there and will he be back? I have to question from what I've seen whether he's "good enough' to lead your program in the Big Ten, but I've only watched him a few games.
He'll be back because we are too cheap to fire him, let alone spend the money to get someone definitively better. I say two more losing seasons before the brass even thinks about canning him.

Originally posted by RU-Choppin-Ohio:

Hurley is a GOD... he could have turned 4 scholarship players in a BIG contender in 2 years.
I agree LOL...ok..maybe 4 years LOL

EJ is a nice guy who was a legend as a player at RU
who coached Kobe(how hard is that?)
and tanked as a coach in Wash DC(fired)

He is doing on the job training as a college coach,.........we just hope for the best

There is no consensus or "in between" for Rutgers fans.

There are the delusional who think Jordan, after ratcheting up the expectations after a fluke win against a banged up Wisconsin, cannot coach one bit and should be able to out-recruit other programs with infinitely better facilities and financial support. On the other side, people recognize that after a quarter century of futility trying to qualify again for the NCAA that you still can be patient with a guy who loves the school, represents it better than guys who ran strip FT contests and threw objects at players, and probably did RU a financial favor coming to run a program that doesn't want to spend serious $$$, outside its women's program.

The latter group gets referred by the former group as apathetic or self-loathing. Pretty interesting circle.

Originally posted by billhobo:
Pretty interesting circle.
IMG_6943_1.jpg

Proud that Eddie had the guts to take the job. Wish he'd be more a face of the program. Maybe closer to Buzz Williams than Bruce Pearl. Can't recall too many radio and TV spots. Zero buzz/excitement factor. Would like that he hired a young top-notch recruiter who is not limited to the NJ/NY area, up-and-comer, and/or coach in-waiting as his top assistant -- perhaps Florida assistant Rashon Burno and/or North Carolina Central head coach Levelle Moton, both of whom make well under $300K.

This post was edited on 3/13 1:31 PM by Mr_Twister

Rutgers is a rebuilding situation because of the Rice scandal. Our talent level was depleted with transfers. Eddie needs another year or 2. There was a time when Greg Schiano had only 3 wins in his 1st 2 years as the RU head coach. In his 3rd and 4th year he was only 9 and 14. In year 5 we had turned it around.

Eddie is 22 and 36 in 2 seasons at Rutgers. as a proven NBA player and coach he has the capability to turn it around if we are patient enough, Next year RU will not be much better than this year but the year after if we get a couple of nice recruits we will have a chance for improvement.

Nice straw man. Nobody said they expect us to be B1G contenders after two years. All we're asking for is reasons to hope for the future, signs of improvement, a team that shows up to compete every time out. If we don't see that in year 3, then we need to make a change.

Again.

Originally posted by ruman:
Hurley hate strong here. Is take Masiello, Cluess, Lonergon or Bobby too. Feel free to insult them as well
OK. Masiello has Rice's personality. Love Lonergan. Cluess is a bad fit.

This post was edited on 3/13 3:32 PM by RutgHoops

No hate.... just understand there are no miracles workers that will turn this thing around in 2 years and 1 full recruiting class.....I call it common sense.
Not too common around these parts.

Rutgers is a rebuilding situation because of the Rice scandal. Our talent level was depleted with transfers. Eddie needs another year or 2. There was a time when Greg Schiano had only 3 wins in his 1st 2 years as the RU head coach. In his 3rd and 4th year he was only 9 and 14. In year 5 we had turned it around.

Eddie is 22 and 36 in 2 seasons at Rutgers. as a proven NBA player and coach he has the capability to turn it around if we are patient enough..Next year RU will not be much better than this year but the year after if we get a couple of nice recruits we will have a chance for improvement.
------------
He's 22 & 42. And his recruiting has been sub par. I don't have confidence that he can land these "nice recruits."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT