ADVERTISEMENT

When is 2 more than 4?

imbazza

All Conference
Gold Member
Apr 22, 2008
When you look at the star system of ranking QBs.
QB #79national ranking
star-16.png
star-16.png
Chris Laviano << this is from Scout
QB #19 national ranking
star-16.png
star-16.png
star-16.png
star-16.png
Hayden Rettig
Chris (2star on scout)has a very productive night; one TD he literally look like a 4 star threading the needle in the back of the end zone. His bomb to Carton was well placed. But just as important his view of the field/find receivers was very good. Remember it is the first time in 4 years we have a new QB and he is better then freshman Nova but has room to grow to be senior Nova.
Hayden (4star) has more work to do to become the starter IMHO

Last edited:
Keep in mind it a scrimmage. Qbs were not live with hitting. Defense played very vanilla. Wait to see what he does in a real game. Many QBs have lit it up in spring games just to struggle in real games.

Maybe take performance from the spring game with a grain of salt, but it's not wrong to be encouraged either. If you remember several years ago, our offense did not look too hot at any point during the spring.

Guy I know it is just a snap shot but as Hayden has not taken the #1 spot in all of spring practice the staff have the same perception as we say last night. Aug. will define how ready both QBs will be for the fall. But Chris is matured beyond 2 stars. He has the poise of a solid 3 star QB.
He looks Jr. Nova-eske which should be a good thing heading into the summer.

Chris (2star)has a very productive night; one TD he literally look like a 4 star threading the needle in the back of the end zone. His bomb to Carton was well placed. But just as important his view of the field/find receivers was very good. Remember it is the first time in 4 years we have a new QB and he is better then freshman Nova but has room to grow to be senior Nova.

Laviano was a 5.6 3 star on Rivals and, if I remember reading correctly on this site, a 4 star and one of the top QB's on ESPN. Nova was also a 5.6 3 star on Rivals. This is not the David and Goliath story that you're making it out to be.

Reactions: Rokodesh
Chris Laviano was never a 2 star QB. In fact ESPN had him as a 4 star QB and the 14th ranked Pro Style QB in his class. Rivals had him as the Number 3 ranked player coming out of New York State .

Two seconds ago, Rettig was the greatest QB that Rutgers ever played and now Chris is better than Nova before the season starter. I wonder why he didn't start last year? Let's be a little sane and hold off before we say Chris is the greatest QB and Flood is the greatest coach. I hope he is better than Nova but I'm going to wait for 2-3 games before making that judgement.

QB #79national ranking
star-16.png
star-16.png
QB #19 national ranking
star-16.png
star-16.png
star-16.png
star-16.png
Hayden Rettig
Chris (2star on scout)has a very productive night; one TD he literally look like a 4 star threading the needle in the back of the end zone. His bomb to Carton was well placed. But just as important his view of the field/find receivers was very good. Remember it is the first time in 4 years we have a new QB and he is better then freshman Nova but has room to grow to be senior Nova.

Sorry, but that first TD throw was a bad decision, being thrown into double coverage, and he got lucky the DBs whiffed on picking/deflecting the pass. He also missed a wide open Tsimis late, but the bomb to Agudosi was gorgeous, and he made some other nice throws.

Honestly, I didn't think either QB (or Rescigno) had great games, but then again, they're pretty green, so I was reasonably happy they weren't horrible. Was a sloppy game in many ways, IMO. I'd give Laviano a slight edge at this point, just based on the scrimmage, but summer camp will tell.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Laviano went to multiple ESPN camps so they had a first hand view of his potential. As a result they gave him 4 stars.

Chris Laviano was never a 2 star QB. In fact ESPN had him as a 4 star QB and the 14th ranked Pro Style QB in his class. Rivals had him as the Number 3 ranked player coming out of New York State .
he was a 2 star on scout, like the OP clearly stated.

he was a 2 star on scout, like the OP clearly stated.

See my post above for the original posting. It was edited to clearly state the 2 star ranking was from Scout after quite a few replies. Personally, I wouldn't have any idea how he was rated on Scout since I never go to the site.

The QB battle is WIDE open, with even Rescigno and Dare being in the mix as longshots come August. Laviano's bomb to Agudosie was a balloon ball that the most D1 starting DBs would have easily picked off.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
The QB battle is WIDE open, with even Rescigno and Dare being in the mix as longshots come August. Laviano's bomb to Agudosie was a balloon ball that the most D1 starting DBs would have easily picked off.
I'll be concerned if Rettig doesn't earn the job with all his accolades. I hope Laviano is as good as Hart was here down the line.

QB #79national ranking
star-16.png
star-16.png
QB #19 national ranking
star-16.png
star-16.png
star-16.png
star-16.png
Hayden Rettig

2 is more than 4 when you have at least 3 of them (i.e. three, 2's).~

...Chris (2star on scout)has a very productive night; one TD he literally look like a 4 star threading the needle in the back of the end zone...

This, to me, is the essence of the misuse of the star system. Stars are awarded based on perceived talent and the likelihood that a player will turn out to be good. People cite all the time that xyx Superbowl MVP was a 2 star or this year I think it was there were no 5 stars in the game.

Think of it this way, a 5 star player has about a 90% chance of becoming a quality college player. A 4 star about 70%, 3 star 50%, 2 star 30%, and non-ranked 10%. If you have a roster of 85 4 stars you would expect ~ 60 to be legitimate D1 starters. A roster of 85 3 stars and the number drops to 43 starters. That's what we call team depth boys and girls. The notion of a 2 star player looking like a 4 star is false because once everyone gets to campus they are more or less equal, it's just the odds that the 4 star will succeed is higher.

If you're coach is a better talent evaluator or better at developing players then that comparison should be made against expected average.

Reactions: redking
ADVERTISEMENT