ADVERTISEMENT

Where to stay for TTFP and Wisconsin?

scarlet night

All Conference
Gold Member
Jul 9, 2004
Anybody have any experience or know where those B1G tailgating/road trip guides are (or if they're good)? Unfortunately, I'm booking this later than I wanted to due to a few reasons so not all hotels might be available. Oh, and it looks to be significantly cheaper to fly into Milwaukee and rent a car instead of directly into Madison at this point. Thanks for any feedback.

For PSU, in town hotels are pretty expensive and may be booked already. An alternative, especially if driving in from NJ is to stay in Lamar. Pa. Its one exit before the Bellefonte exit that you take for PSU. There is a Hampton Inn and a Comfort Inn (Hampton is nicer). In the past rooms went around $175 per night and there was no advance cancellation needed, but now they may have a 2 week cancellation policy. Its about 13 miles on Rt 80, maybe 25 minutes total to State College. Actually, you do not need to get on Rt 80 as the road that the hotels are on (Rt 64) runs roughly parallel with 80 and brings you to I90.220 which brings your right to the stadium. For a Saturday night game you can drive out late Friday, hit the hotel and head into State College early Saturday, after stopping at the new Denny's in Lamar for a Grand Slam breakfast.

Book today if you haven't already as hotels fill up quick. Lamar is a good option if you are coming via I80. Lewistown is good if coming in via 322 from southern Jersey. Another option is rent an RV. One company will park, set up and stock the necessities for you.

http://www.nittanyrvvalet.com/

I'll say this 100 more times as we get closer but everyone should really rent an RV. It won't cost you much more and it really is a great experience.

The Rutgers Touchdown Club will be running a bus trip to State College, details to be announced soon.

If you acted now I think you'd still be able to get a solid price in the Lewistown area. Just a 25 minute drive over the Seven Mountains.

Originally posted by PSU_Nut:
Book today if you haven't already as hotels fill up quick. Lamar is a good option if you are coming via I80. Lewistown is good if coming in via 322 from southern Jersey. Another option is rent an RV. One company will park, set up and stock the necessities for you.

PSU_Nut, have you or has anyone you know used this service? Any general idea of the cost or other feedback? I have to say it's pretty intriguing.

I browsed the website a bit, but it seems like you need to submit some kind of inquiry to get a quote. Thanks.

Originally posted by vkj91:
I'll say this 100 more times as we get closer but everyone should really rent an RV. It won't cost you much more and it really is a great experience.
Endorsing this post

Been to games at both...as both places should be on one's Top 10 College Football Road Trip Bucket Lists.

Penn State: 99% of the folks will be driving over...so you have a ton of $$ vs flying (if you fly, not many seats avail into small airport in/around State College...most folks living elsewhere fly into Harrisburg...much easier/quicker drive than Pitt or Philly).

Send your $$$ to stay in State College...as with a night game on Saturday...stay over on Friday night....as campus/College Ave is jumping every Friday of a home game....and same on Game Day...you get to sleep it off and not have to fight drunks at Midnight/1 AM hitting the small roads out of town.

Rathskeller is a great bar (mostly alumni)...jumps on Friday afternoon of football weekends.

Wisconsin...stay in Downtown Madison...walking distance to State Street and Stadium...again, another college town/city that jumps on football weekend.

Make sure you check out their original German Beergarden Student Union...located right on the lake.

Madison doesn't have a lot of flights/seats (you can connect on smaller jets from O'Hare, Detroit et al)...but if you can get a nonstop into Milwaukee (80 miles from Madison) or even Chicago (O'Hare is just a 2 hour drive straight up to Madison).

If you have to stay out toward the highway, take a cab into downtown.

State Streets Brats is a must...great restaurant/night time bar.

The Wisconsin Student Section(s) and Band at game are worth a game day visit all in itself....

This post was edited on 4/15 2:54 PM by Knight_Light

Mr. Screw and I are driving to Madison and spending the week out in the area so we can attend the Michigan game the next week. Need to totally book hotels for both places this weekend.

we are in the process of renting a bus to take about 20 of us to ttfp. I've got a quote that will work out to about $100pp which is really the best option we can come up with.

Originally posted by SteveVA2:
Right across the street from Camp Randall. Practically brand new. Will not be cheap for a football weekend.
My son is a soph at Wisconsin. This is a great choice, but if you haven't booked yet, you're probably SOL. We also like the Hyatt Place in Madison. They provide a free shuttle to any bar/restaurant in a couple mile radius, so no need to rent a car.

This post was edited on 4/20 11:20 AM by RU-ROCS

Originally posted by ScarletRunner:

Originally posted by PSU_Nut:

PSU_Nut, have you or has anyone you know used this service? Any general idea of the cost or other feedback? I have to say it's pretty intriguing.

I browsed the website a bit, but it seems like you need to submit some kind of inquiry to get a quote. Thanks.
I have never used them and they are pricey. I looked into it once and it was about $900 for 3 nights which is about going rate for state college hotels.

Originally posted by Knight_Light:

Penn State: 99% of the folks will be driving over...so you have a ton of $$ vs flying (if you fly, not many seats avail into small airport in/around State College...most folks living elsewhere fly into Harrisburg...much easier/quicker drive than Pitt or Philly).

This post was edited on 4/15 2:54 PM by Knight_Light
If you are flying in Baltimore is actually closer then Philadelphia. People often forget that one (Buffalo International is actually closer also but much longer drive). State college is always the best but Harrisburg is a close second.

1. Harrisburg 97 miles 1hr 37 min
2. Pittsburgh 155 miles 2hr 37 min
3. BWI 178 miles 2 hr 51 min
4. Philadelphia 201 miles 3 hr 6 min
5. Dulles 209 miles 3 hr 6 min
6. Regan 212 miles 3hr 25 min
7. Newark 232 miles 3 hr 25 min
8. Buffalo 199 miles 3 40 min
9. Cleveland 241 miles 3 hr 41 min

We're thinking of doing this for the Wisconsin game. Do you (or anyone) have suggestions on the best companies to check with for the rental? (or more so just ones to avoid??)

I was also a little hesitant since the game is late October and didnt know if there would be snow storms up there by then, but I guess that's completely up in the air and we'd just have to risk it.

Originally posted by fischy5000:

We're thinking of doing this for the Wisconsin game. Do you (or anyone) have suggestions on the best companies to check with for the rental? (or more so just ones to avoid??)

I was also a little hesitant since the game is late October and didnt know if there would be snow storms up there by then, but I guess that's completely up in the air and we'd just have to risk it.
Consider renting near Wisconsin. Most charge millage which can be as high as $0.45 per mile. Add in gas, additional rental days and tolls you will quickly find it would cost you close to $2,000 just get the vehicle out there.

I see Cruise America RVs a lot but that might be because it seems like they are the only one's that brand their RVs. Also want to add an economical option if you don't want the RV overnight lot is to stay in the Walmart Parking lot with your RV Friday night and go to one of the general lots on Saturday. Saves $20 as long as you pre-buy. It always gets me fired up when I'm making my 6AM ice run to Wally world and see the RV city there for big games.

My son is a soph at Wisconsin. This is a great choice, but if you haven't booked yet, you're probably SOL. We also like the Hyatt Place in Madison. They provide a free shuttle to any bar/restaurant in a couple mile radius, so no need to rent a car.

My son is a sophomore at Wisconsin too. He's in a highrise apartment on Jackson next to the Double Tree. Most hotels are located in that area. Prices will be north of $300/night. A group of us booked early at the Wisconsin Union Hotel which is part of the South Union complex and across the street from Camp Randall.

https://www.union.wisc.edu/wuhotel.htm

Lots of great taverns and restaurants along State Street and the surround area. State Street Brats will be bursting at the seams. Another great destination is the Memorial Union where there is a large dining terrace that overlooks Lake Mendota.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/Unions+at+U+of+Wisconsin/@43.0875782,-89.3938193,12z

Also note that we are playing Wisconsin on Halloween and Madison will host the "Freak Night" party. It will be an entertaining day for sure!

Reactions: Ready to Rumble

The parking situation in Madison is pretty tight. Academic building parking lots are used for game days and spaces are secured for season parking. There are a few garages located in the downtown area near campus. RV parking and general parking are at satellite lots off campus. Shuttle buses get the fans to Camp Randall.

The Bears at playing the Vikings at Soldier Field on November 1st at noon. I assume many Rutgers fans planning to attend the Wisconsin game will fly through Chicago. Madison is just under 3 hours from Chicago. Some may want to consider spending the weekend in Chicago and take a trip to Madison for game day.

The Bears at playing the Vikings at Soldier Field on November 1st at noon. I assume many Rutgers fans planning to attend the Wisconsin game will fly through Chicago. Madison is just under 3 hours from Chicago. Some may want to consider spending the weekend in Chicago and take a trip to Madison for game day.

that's some excellent info there. thank you. Mr. Screw and I will look into this since we have a week to kill between the Wisconsin game and the Michigan game the next weekend.

How do you go about getting and RV overnight parking pass? And is there a visitors lot for RVs or surrounded by PSU tailgates?

Agree with PSU nut about renting closer to Wisconsin bc the cost will be to high. I did that for a game at Ole Miss, flew into Memphis and rented one there. Also, you may not even find a rental at that time of year bc RV's need to Be winterized before it gets too cold and pipes get damaged. I keep mine "plugged in" at my house with heat on and still have some freeze on occasion.

It's combined but RV people generally are good neighbors. RV people often go to away games so they treat visitors with the same respect they would like when visiting for an away game.

Call 800-NITTANY but the site below has more info about timing/pricing.

http://www.gopsusports.com/tickets/m-footbl-parking.html
This. I've parked in their RV lot many times and only once had an incident. Last season for OSU we happened to get a frat behind us and they were well a frat.. Lol. No big deal outside of them getting into fights, breaking stuff, flipping over tables and general drunk college kid stuff. Plus, if you are renting an RV it's good to be surrounded by rv owners as there are always questions during set up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT