ADVERTISEMENT

Who first? Schiano coaching or Rice playing

Abro1975

Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2009
What happens first, will Greg Schiano take a coaching job somewhere, or will Rice get back on the field first?

Easy answer. Schiano. Age doesn't matter. If Ray Rice isn't signed by opening day his career is basically over

Don' t forget Canada. Or the Arena League. lol, I think Schiano sits out another full season, most NFL & College staffs are filled.

I'm betting on Ray getting on the field first. But I thought Schiano would have surfaced somewhere by now.

Easy answer. Schiano. Age doesn't matter. If Ray Rice isn't signed by opening day his career is basically over

Don' t forget Canada. Or the Arena League. lol, I think Schiano sits out another full season, most NFL & College staffs are filled.

I'm betting on Ray getting on the field first. But I thought Schiano would have surfaced somewhere by now.
$3 Million keeps him away from the DC role. He sits another year

Gotta figure whoever does sign Rice will get a player really eager to redeem himself. At some point, you'd figure some team would figure this out.

kinda sad -- but spot on question. are you counting invite to camp/OTA? then maybe RR. But, if you mean game day on field.... other than Canada - i don't think RR see the field ever again (hate to say it).

Gotta figure whoever does sign Rice will get a player really eager to redeem himself. At some point, you'd figure some team would figure this out.
As a lifelong Cowboys fan I would love him on the team especially with the best offensive line in the NFL.

Surprised Schiano has been so invisible. I guess he has just been enjoying his Buc Millions

Surprised Schiano has been so invisible. I guess he has just been enjoying his Buc Millions
He has been very visible. Was at Ohio State with Meyer and NE .
It's funny that the Schiano haters think he will never coach again. The man has many positives.
The difference between Flood and Schiano is that Greg can build a program and winning with defense.

I think they will both be back fairly soon. Somebody is going to tweak a knee somewhere, and then RR will be back. For Schiano, it might have to be the year after this in order for it to be an HC position, but pretty soon some team will realize the amazing job he did here, and he may realize what his weaknesses are and be ready to address them.

I do not approve what Ry did but wow, it being caught on film made him really pay the price. Hardy, Peterson and many others did so much worse.
I would also bet that if A Hernandez's case had been dropped due to a technicality, a team would have given him another shot too.

I do think GS gets back to coaching but not a high profile job to start. I get sitting out for a free paycheck but you are passed over by others the longer you stay away from the game.
And the game has changed a ton over the last couple of years.

Both? - Maybe Schiano will come back, coach a pro team, which Ray will play on!

I don't see GS getting an NFL HC position and he wouldn't want to work for any HC as an asst. I see him getting a college HC job in 2016 at a P5 school, perhaps Purdue, USF or he could end up in Urbana-Champign. I could see him at a school that is in dire need of a kick start.

He has been very visible. Was at Ohio State with Meyer and NE .
It's funny that the Schiano haters think he will never coach again. The man has many positives.
The difference between Flood and Schiano is that Greg can build a program and winning with defense.

Ask the Buc fans in Tampa if Greg can build a program/franchise.

IMHO there's no P5 program that will hire him after next season. He's damaged goods to any school that cares about FB on a P5 level.

My Money is on Ray, I like Greg, but think he will sit out another year. I believe Ray will be signed by someone this year.

Knigtmoves wrote:

IMHO there's no P5 program that will hire him after next season. He's damaged goods to any school that cares about FB on a P5 level

Were you in a coma during GS's tenure here??! You totally ignore that time and mention only Tampa? A team with a questionable history of organization. Have much of an agenda? There are plenty of P5 schools that want the Coach as you and others will find out next season.

I don't see GS getting an NFL HC position and he wouldn't want to work for any HC as an asst. I see him getting a college HC job in 2016 at a P5 school, perhaps Purdue, USF or he could end up in Urbana-Champign. I could see him at a school that is in dire need of a kick start.

Schiano to Illinois would actually make sense. I can't believe I actually just said that.

IMHO there's no P5 program that will hire him after next season. He's damaged goods to any school that cares about FB on a P5 level.

LOL can't tell if serious...

Top 25 programs would be more than willing to hire Greg Schiano. Give it up already my man.

Pretty sure Schiano could go to work and get the remainder of the TB contract minus his new salary. He interviewed for a few jobs but didn't get hired.

Just because those fans aren't vocal does not mean that they weren't there. In 2013, the Bucs announced a sellout every game. They did that last in 2009 and haven't done that since.

Either during training camp or the regular season some NFL team will lose 2 or 3 RBs to the IR and sign Ray.

LOL can't tell if serious...

Top 25 programs would be more than willing to hire Greg Schiano. Give it up already my man.

Top 25 programs want to hire Greg at this point ? LOL. Did he turn down any jobs after last season ? I suggest that you read the sports section more carefully in the future.

Top 25 programs want to hire Greg at this point ? LOL. Did he turn down any jobs after last season ? I suggest that you read the sports section more carefully in the future.

Yes they do. I still can't fathom how RU fans undervalue him at this point. Contrary to media perception Greg very much appreciated for his ability in the coaching community.

Soooo when? He doesn't have to wait until the TB contract expires. That's just some BS someone here came up with.

ask the buc fans how his successor did, so far.
Schiano won't set the world on fire with his game-day coaching, but can get college programs headed in the right direction with his disciplined approach.
That disciplined approach isn't suited for the pros, but Schiano could be a valuable DC at the pro level.
As for College HC, P5 schools were already mentioned that would be a good fit for his type of program building.
Also he might be waiting for a job in Florida to open up, so he doesn't have to leave the that State and has great recruiting ties.
Mid majors ( which you pointed out as a possible destination , some time ago) might be in the mix if they are willing to pay top dollar , or close to it to get Schiano on board.

I expect to see Greg in the mix when a p5 HC is let go and a school needs to right its ship quickly .

MADHAT1,

What does "In the Mix" mean for Greg landing a P5 HC after the upcoming season ? Because so far it means that Greg's agent is floating his name as a leading candidate for whatever P5 job opens up, even though Greg doesn't land an interview.

When Greg gets shortlisted after interviewing with a school then I will start believing that there is some demand for his services. But of course we haven't gotten there yet.

In the mix means interviews, not agent floating his name.
Also his name has been floated by others besides his agent when sportswriters speculate who is in the mix for possible replacements if a coach gets fired.
Doesn't mean Greg's a top candidate for the only means that it isn't just his agent putting his name out there.
After the 2015 season is over, rest assured you'll be hearing his name a lot more for openings and he will be among those who are interviewed and put in the top candidate catogary.

As a wise man once said: It's a process" [jumpingsmile]

"IMHO there's no P5 program that will hire him after next season. He's damaged goods to any school that cares about FB on a P5 level."

LOL. Damaged goods? You act as if Schiano is the only college coach to ever struggle in the NFL.

"IMHO there's no P5 program that will hire him after next season. He's damaged goods to any school that cares about FB on a P5 level."

LOL. Damaged goods? You act as if Schiano is the only college coach to ever struggle in the NFL.

Yeah, Nick Saban will never redeem himself. [eyeroll]

Damaged goods??? Charlie Weis now that is damaged goods As a matter of fact GS is repaired goods from his public speaking bout what he learned as a Pro HC. there are many P5 schools that could use his skills as a HC or DC

I don't see him as damaged goods, that is a bit crazy. lol But...his reputation and being away from the game for 3 years may result in him having to take a lesser job then P5 HC. Not a bad thing though. A school that is on the cusp of stepping into a better position would benefit greatly by having him for a year or two and with success, it would benefit Greg as well as that would give him a shot at a nice P5 school.

I don't see him as damaged goods, that is a bit crazy. lol But...his reputation and being away from the game for 3 years may result in him having to take a lesser job then P5 HC. Not a bad thing though. A school that is on the cusp of stepping into a better position would benefit greatly by having him for a year or two and with success, it would benefit Greg as well as that would give him a shot at a nice P5 school.

Agree that P5 schools will be very hesitant to hire Greg as a HC at this point, given that he is now pretty removed from the game. I've been saying for awhile now that a directional FL school or an FIU or FL Atlantic type school could be a possibility. If those jobs aren't available I expect that he takes the best available D1 job that comes his way after this season. He can't afford to sit out another season and expect to be a good candidate for D1 jobs.

Greg couldn't even win a neutered Big East with one of the most stacked teams in the country and boatloads of investment.

Greg couldn't even win a neutered Big East with one of the most stacked teams in the country and boatloads of investment.
But still respected in FB circles, even if you don't think so
As long as he's receiving Tampa's money he can be choosey while networking to keep his name out there and not uprooting his family until he gets an offer he can't refuse or when the Buc's money runs out (2017 ?) about the time (?) his youngest son graduates HS..
In the meantime can go to College and Pro camps and keep his name out there, letting it be known if the right opportunity arises , he's available.
Greg has until 2017 (I believe) to find that right offer, or accept the best he is offered after the Buc's money stops

But still respected in FB circles, even if you don't think so
As long as he's receiving Tampa's money he can be choosey while networking to keep his name out there and not uprooting his family until he gets an offer he can't refuse or when the Buc's money runs out (2017 ?) about the time (?) his youngest son graduates HS..
In the meantime can go to College and Pro camps and keep his name out there, letting it be known if the right opportunity arises , he's available.
Greg has until 2017 (I believe) to find that right offer, or accept the best he is offered after the Buc's money stops

Are you aware of any actual interviews that Greg got after last season ? I am not. Apparently being well respected in FB circles and getting an interview are two very different things.

Waiting until the Bucs money runs out doesn't make him look like an attractive candidate. Two more years of collecting severance pay makes him look like he can't find a job, especially after his agent went on a marketing blitz this past season. Most coaches who get canned try to get back on the horse ASAP and negotiate a buyout from their previous employer. Maybe Greg is all about the money. That's the way it's starting to look from the outside.

ADVERTISEMENT