ADVERTISEMENT

Why is everyone high on Mich St?

Feb 13, 2015
Look, I know they have had a lot of success the last couple of years. I know Connor Cook is a talented QB who walked away from a lot of money this spring. I know Shilique Calhoun can call on the other side and that they have another 2 or 3 first or second round picks. But why is everyone circling this game as an L?

From what I see, they lost their entire secondary. The No Fly Zone wasn't that incredible in 2014. In fact, with the exception of Trae Waynes, it was awful. And Waynes is playing on Sundays now. It got so bad last year that they had Tony Lippett playing both sides. Lippett is gone by the way. And Jeremy Langford is also gone. Those were two very dynamic guys who were nightmares. If games are truly won and lost in the trenches, I will eat crow. I just think that athletes are more important in the college game.

I see MSU as a middle of the pack B1G team this year, on the same par as us and ttfp.

Please convince me why we are going to get blown out by them again this year.

PS Didn't even mention Narduzzi.

Look, I know they have had a lot of success the last couple of years. I know Connor Cook is a talented QB who walked away from a lot of money this spring. I know Shilique Calhoun can call on the other side and that they have another 2 or 3 first or second round picks. But why is everyone circling this game as an L?

From what I see, they lost their entire secondary. The No Fly Zone wasn't that incredible in 2014. In fact, with the exception of Trae Waynes, it was awful. And Waynes is playing on Sundays now. It got so bad last year that they had Tony Lippett playing both sides. Lippett is gone by the way. And Jeremy Langford is also gone. Those were two very dynamic guys who were nightmares. If games are truly won and lost in the trenches, I will eat crow. I just think that athletes are more important in the college game.

I see MSU as a middle of the pack B1G team this year, on the same par as us and ttfp.

Please convince me why we are going to get blown out by them again this year.

PS Didn't even mention Narduzzi.

You lost me at middle of the pack. If your point is that maybe they won't dominate the way OSU will, I would maybe agree. I could see us hang around and then MSU eventually pull away. something like 30-14

With OSU, it is pretty much a guarantee that they will do their best to make us look silly, because that's how Urban rolls.

you answered your own question in the first 2 lines of your post

Seriously. I know that have 4 first and second round picks, including one of the best QBs in the country but why does everyone think they will be good....

The secondary is a question mark, but they aren't filling it with kids who never played, they have experience on the roster plus 3 4* recruits coming in. That may not equal a great secondary, maybe not even a very good one, but it's certainly equal to ours, and we don't have one of the best QBs in the country to go along with 3 other high draft picks.

Go back and watch last years game. They controlled the O and D lines all game. RU couldn't get any running lanes, and Nova had no time to throw the ball. They also didn't miss many tackles. Also, keep in mind the back ups were in for a good portion of the game and they still moved the ball. They are a good team. RUs D was alway a step slow and missed a lot of tackles in that game.

Simple...Dantonio said this is very likely the best DL he's ever had at MSU and possibly has ever coached...and our OL is considered one of the top 3-5 OLs in the country with two All Americans in Conklin and Allen.

It all starts up front...then you add the fact Cook came back...this MSU team is loaded with talent and we are underrated at #6 pre season. Should be ahead of Oregon and Baylor...and maybe even Bama.

We play Oregon second week so it will shake out then.

Last year was last year. You can't say that because they have a few top prospects that they are a great team. This feels very A&M of 2013 when Johnny Football and Evans were returning and so many other holes were brushed aside and disregarded.

In fact, my fearless B1G prediction for 2015: Michigan State goes at best 9-4.

Reactions: satnom
Last year was last year. You can't say that because they have a few top prospects that they are a great team. This feels very A&M of 2013 when Johnny Football and Evans were returning and so many other holes were brushed aside and disregarded.

What other holes? An msu poster just said they have dominant lines to go with the parts you metioned.

You mean the season where they wound up #21 with 4 losses, all to ranked teams? Yes, MSU could fall all the way to that level and not be top ten, that wouldn't be surprising. It also wouldn't make them middle of the road, unless middle of the road means #21 in the country. If so sign me up for middle of the road every year.

but he is nonetheless a mich st poster
Just want two say two things
Trae Waynes totally shut down Carroo but he is playing Sundays. Do they have another one of him?

More importantly they faced two running backs who will be the 5th and 6th options this year.
There was no running threat at all so stopping the pass was too easy
I think they are better but I feel its a much closer game.

Remember, also, we did not have James, Hicks, and Martin vrs Wisconsin, Nebraska, or Ohio st either

Reactions: BaseballFan913
What other holes? An msu poster just said they have dominant lines to go with the parts you metioned.

They are pretty green at running back. The guys that have played haven't shown much to this point. The receiver core is pretty no name. Lippett was an absolute monster last year. It's tough to lose those type of guys. Imagine if we had lost Carroo to the draft how nervous we would be about the WR position. And DB was a rough spot for them last year and they lost the only guy who gave them any production at all.

I give respect where it is due. They are the best team in this conference in the trenches. I think they are good. I don't think they are a top 10 team.

They are pretty green at running back. The guys that have played haven't shown much to this point. The receiver core is pretty no name. Lippett was an absolute monster last year. It's tough to lose those type of guys. Imagine if we had lost Carroo to the draft how nervous we would be about the WR position. And DB was a rough spot for them last year and they lost the only guy who gave them any production at all.

I give respect where it is due. They are the best team in this conference in the trenches. I think they are good. I don't think they are a top 10 team.
I see 3 maybe 4 (bc Michigan is a rivalry ) possible losses on their schedule and one is OOC.

Michigan State ranked 6th in AP preseason poll.....I think they may be ok this year.

I'm shocked this is even a thread! Therefore, to the OP:

671256e55e7b94c478f77c4dd2aa2641afb98ec711bc9be66307aab25cd881fe.jpg

Spartans have arguably the best defensive line in the nation... plus probably one of the top 5 offensive lines in the nation.

RB Delton Williams has been allowed back on the team, and incoming Freshman RB LJ Scott is a stud/monster and will probably see plenty of action.

Sophomore Safety Montae Nicholson (the #1 ranked player out of Pennsylvania for the 2014 Freshman class) is set & primed to explode this season.

Oh.... and then there's QB Connor Cook.

MSU should stomp mudholes in opponents this season.

I would not be surprised to see Sparty win @ Columbus this November and eventually become B1G champs this season.

That being said....

Screw Sparty!

GO BLUE!

Last edited:
Don't agree with our rankings for about half of those. And lumping QB with RB? Come on

I just compiled the numbers. I started doing this in 2013 and every year they make a small change. This year they broke it out by division. For fun go ahead and check previous years and year end results. They're not right very often.

MSU is a legit top 10 team, maybe top 5. They have 7 starters and the top NFL QB prospect for next year returning on offense. They have 7 starters returning on defense. They will be one of the most experienced teams in the B1G this year. I think any notion of them being a "mid level" B1G team will be put to rest wihen they beat Oregon at home in the 2nd week of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT