ADVERTISEMENT

Why tweeting Recruits is stupid

RUtix4me

All American
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2015
if anyone knows who this moron is they should blast him. Unreal that someone would tweet this to a top recruit. I know the moron is an RU fan he personally got into on a JG commitment tweet with every fan in TN too

Last edited:
The other guy that wrote "trust me theres room for you" is very creepy. Thats the type of weird stuff that makes a recruit not want to come here. What is wrong with these people.

Reactions: RUwoz
Way to be classy with recruits. How do any of these guys know how many we're taking at each position, or who we would still accept commitments from? Who do they think they are?

This stuff makes me cringe so much. I don't know any of these kids personally and I can't imagine these guys do either. I don't ever say anything more than "welcome" after they commit, I won't even follow them until they do.

I think it is weird to follow a recruit or any kids on twitter before or after they commit, unless you are a peer, coach or family member.

As an alum I do not care if any kid individually comes to Rutgers or not, whether that kid is a recruit or simply a student. The only thing I want to know is the quality of the class as a whole as compared to our peers. Again, anything more than that seems odd.

Reactions: okieKnight
Thread should be titled "Why tweeting is stupid". Fine for news outlets and celebrities. But why does a regular person feel the need to tweet?

Your a bunch of old men and tweeting kids is great!! Sorry Zap couldn't resist. FYI not a tweeter

you people are showing how out of touch you are with the new use of technology and social media. While what the tweeter said was flat out stupid, there is nothing creepy about following and the use of social media. It is totally accepted among recruits and young people today basically removing any thoughts that its creepy...how many times do we have this discussion

Reactions: Local Shill
if you ask me even a "welcome" is kind of creepy unless you know the kid

I'm in my 20s so the age difference isn't too much. I think a lot of the recruits like the excitement of fans, as long as it's not weird, versus saying "I'm going to Rutgers" and getting apathy from the fan base.

There are some creeps who think they are best friends with the kid, which is weird, but I know where to draw the line.

Social media and tweeting are useful for search engine optimization (SEO) if you want more traffic to find your (business) website. But it shouldn't be creepy.

There is a big difference between using Twitter as a business PR tool (great idea) or following a celeb or news source for entertainment or information purposes (good idea) and tweeting negative stuff at a 17 year old recruit you do not know (terrible idea) that has nothing to do with being out of touch with social media or old.

you people are showing how out of touch you are with the new use of technology and social media. While what the tweeter said was flat out stupid, there is nothing creepy about following and the use of social media. It is totally accepted among recruits and young people today basically removing any thoughts that its creepy...how many times do we have this discussion

......Every time some ignorameus tweets something stupid from our fan base? Btw Jonathan Pollack follows a lot of the RU fanbase, And I think at least 6-7 follow me. RU loke to tweet their pride for the team, and the players like to follow it. Also follow Flood, most the staff, RU athletics and most of the beat writers (not Politi though) nothing creepy, as long as you dont cross the line. Welcome to the Bank's on their commit ent tweet is a way of affirming and welcoming a commit, no different from here.

A good example, I follow Kurt Taylor the rising Jr RB, who is heavily recruited, he follows me, but I have never tweeted to or about him, and likewise. It is simply a means of following a news source directly at the source.

Last edited:

Aren't you the same out-of-touch bac2therac that spends half of his way too many posts bemoaning everything about the millennials, including too much social media usage? Yet it's all good when it supports your habit?

The fact that it's "totally accepted" among 17-year-old kids isn't impressing anyone. Because I don't typically justify my actions by the values of teenagers. Obviously neither do you, save for this one exception.

I don't actually have any problem with people following recruits on Twitter, if that's their thing, but it's kind of funny watching one group of old creepers complain about how creepy those other guys are. You're ALL following 17-year-old boys like 12-year-old girls virtually clawing all over the latest boy band. Definitely weird, especially in light of how much fluctuation there is between this time of year and signing day. I felt like an absolute idiot for letting a few "Welcome to the Banks" hang out there in virtual Internet space that year our recruiting class fell apart. Never again, and sure as hell not on Twitter or Facebook.

if anyone knows who this moron is they should blast him. Unreal that someone would teet this toa top recruit. I know the moron is an RU fan he personally got into on a JG commitment tweet with every fan in TN too

Twitter is fun but like you say, some people don't represent who they are (this person shows a little kid) and some people tweet stupid stuff. This person you mention might be a 14 year old kid who is a Rutgers fan and tweets stupid stuff. The tweet they did is not correct.

Personally I would never tweet a recruit, not even to say "Welcome to Rutgers" because I don't work at Rutgers to give a welcome. I am just a Rutgers fan. I would welcome an out of stater to NJ however because I work and live and love New Jersey.

Its SOCIAL media. Meaning public. If I was walking down the street and saw a kid with a Rutgers hat on I might say "nice hat" and continue walking. If it was a kid that just committed, I would say congrats or good luck there. Thats no different than saying it on twitter. Social media and texting is how these kids talk now. When you hear these recruits say I talk to the coaches everyday, they mean twitter direct messages. They dont actually talk to them everyday. In their minds they feel like they are talking to them everyday because they are use to communicating like that. Its the norm. Its sad but true. Some do cross the line and get creepy like they know the kid. You can always block them from your account. But some of you get too upset about a comment you dont like. These recruits are not taking anything serious from people they dont know. The fans on twitter are fun and comical to them. They are not going to make a decision based off positve or negative comments from people they dont know. lol...

Last edited:
People are stupid we all know this. Remember, theses kids make their accounts open to the public. If they didn't want the attention they could make their account private.

Bac, this surprises me greatly that you feel this way. social media for recruits is fine between their friends and family. But this is not what we are talking about.

Grown men tweeting 17 kids that they do not know? I could concede that maybe a congrats on a commit would be ok, but grown men who are fans regularly tweeting recruits? Nothing good can come of this.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT