ADVERTISEMENT

Will Hatchell be out at UNC?

ecojew

All American
Feb 1, 2006
For those who don't frequent the football board, someone who lives in NC posted an article yesterday about what is going on at UNC regarding the NCAA investigation of the many apparent violations involving their athletic programs. Most of the article deals with men's and women's basketball and the differential treatment of the two by UNC in an apparent response to the NCAA. I've asked the OP to post it here as well but in case he doesn't, some of you might want to look for it on the football board as I think you will find it interesting reading.

It is a slanted piece, meaning that it is specifically looking to make the case about Hatchell.

That doesn't mean it isn't true, but given what happened with losing all of their best recruiting class to transfer, hard times are ahead for UNC WBB regardless of the NCAA sanctions that may come forward sometime.

And I don't think anyone believes that any of the coaches didn't have a "whiff" of something going on, even if they may not (or may) have been actively involved.

Hatchell's contract is up next year and she hasn't had an extension yet. The official report, for whatever reason, makes it look like Hatchell was at least knowingly unknowing and possibly more involved than that, not to mention that it started during her tenure. Williams seems to have created more distance for himself, came after the cheating started and, several years before scandal broke, essentially forbade his players from taking independent study courses, which I believe means that no current players are involved. I don't know if Hatchell is going to be a scapegoat, but it does seem much more likely that she will be forced out (or simply not retained) than that Williams will be nailed.

Hatchell's contract is up next year and she hasn't had an extension yet. The official report, for whatever reason, makes it look like Hatchell was at least knowingly unknowing and possibly more involved than that, not to mention that it started during her tenure. Williams seems to have created more distance for himself, came after the cheating started and, several years before scandal broke, essentially forbade his players from taking independent study courses, which I believe means that no current players are involved. I don't know if Hatchell is going to be a scapegoat, but it does seem much more likely that she will be forced out (or simply not retained) than that Williams will be nailed.

It was speculated that NC sports would take a hit, but not the MBB program.
That seems to be the case and Hatchell will be a scapegoat.
Does anyone really think North Carolina would let Dean Smith look like he was involved..
It's been said Smith's longtime academic adviser, Burgess McSwain, and her successor, Wayne Walden, knew about the paper classes. But both have passed away and ( conveniently) there isn't wasn't any evidence that Smith knew anything about what was going on and his longtime assistant Bill Guthridge who succeeded Smith as the Tar Heel's HC couldn't be interviewed (?).

Sadly I think NC will let Hatchell take the fall as a HC that didn't know, but should have and retire from coaching citing health as the reason and taking a position in the NC Athletic Department .
While Dean didn't know, because his academic advisers made sure he didn't know and went to lengths to keep him in the dark about his players taking phony classes.
Williams will be protected as well, along with their current FB coach.
But the FB coaches before this one will be blamed especially since it has been said John Bunting (FB HC 2001 to 2006) and
Butch Davis (2007 to 2010) had knowledge, according to the Independent report North Carolina commissioned, about the paper classes some of NC Athletes were taking.

Looks like the scapegoats are being lined up in full view and the protected ones are being hid behind a wall of silence .

I think she and the program will be the scapegoat.
Here's an ex NC WBB player that agrees with you:
clear.gif
clear.gif
clear.gif

Ex-North Carolina player: Women's basketball being made a 'scapegoat' | The Dagger - Yahoo Sports
Austin, a 2008 North Carolina graduate currently coaching at Montreat College, penned an editorial for the Raleigh News & Observer on Monday accusing the Tar Heels athletic department of already showing signs of making its women's basketball program "the scapegoat." Austin noted that men's coach Roy Williams got a contract extension earlier this summer but women's coach Sylvia Hatchell has thus far not received the same show of support.http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab...tball-being-made-a--scapegoat--153557417.html

Read her editorial ( link in Dagger article or use the one below)) , in it Meagan Austin states :
>I am proud to be a member of the UNC women’s basketball program, but I cannot say I am proud to represented by an administration that will throw a legendary coach to the wolves to protect men’s athletic teams.<
: http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/op-ed/article27955738.html#storylink=cpy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT