ADVERTISEMENT

Will we still make an offer to Duncan?

Well I am sure that Russo expects competition, whether from his class or others (before or after)

When Duncan said "He said he still wants to recruit me" - was he referring to offensive coordinator Ben McDaniels?

If the coaches believe that the kid has the potential to make a strong contribution to the program over the next 5 years then they should make an offer. That is what they are getting paid for, to make these judgment calls. If the kid truly has no other Div 1 offers than maybe the staff will invite him on as a preferred walk-on and he can earn a scholarship through his play at some point down the line.

With only 9 Seniors graduating this will be a very small recruiting class, no room or need for 2 QB's

The only way we take a 2nd QB is if JG or Haskin have a change of hart.

You idiots never learn. Do you know who Aaron Rodgers is?

He's the 1 QB in a 1,000 that didn't have a D1 offer yet made it big in the NFL?

I'm not sure, but I don't think we have enough room on the roster to take 1,000 QB's in the hopes that one of them turns out to be the next Aaron Rodgers.

Reactions: RutgersUnion
He's the 1 QB in a 1,000 that didn't have a D1 offer yet made it big in the NFL?

I'm not sure, but I don't think we have enough room on the roster to take 1,000 QB's in the hopes that one of them turns out to be the next Aaron Rodgers.
You missed the point which isn't surprising. I don't have time to list the thousands of great players who had little or no interest coming out of high school. Suffice to say that some are at RU NOW but you have your head somewhere else.

Reactions: ScarletKnightRider
You missed the point which isn't surprising. I don't have time to list the thousands of great players who had little or no interest coming out of high school. Suffice to say that some are at RU NOW but you have your head somewhere else.

Ok I'll be that guy and take the hit this time. These arguments only ever prove that stars matter. Taking one great player who was a JC or 2 star or whatever to suggest that there is a list of the thousands of great players who had little or no interest coming out of high school is a false argument. There are maybe 35-50 5 stars a year 30% of them end up as NFL first rounders. There are hundreds of 3 stars every year and 5% of them are first rounders. Yes it's possible to be that guy that beats the star system but like an early poster said there's not room on a college roster to take a 1000 2 star (or 100 3 star) guys to hit on the gem.

EDIT: 68% of statistics are made up on the spot, i.e. I didn't verify my numbers but they are close.

EDIT 2: Yes, by all means hope that you have more than your fair share of the odd beaters, that's what we as fans do, but don't misrepresent statistics.

Last edited:
With only 9 Seniors graduating this will be a very small recruiting class, no room or need for 2 QB's
+ 1000 this cannot be stressed enough. Would you rather take what would be the 6th QB on the roster when we couldn't even make a 2 deep at OL this spring and have the possibility of a freshman WALKION be on the 2-deep at NT? With what will only be a class between 15-20 a second QB would actually be detrimental to the team.

No, actually, I understood the point perfectly. That sometimes players who are not rated highly nor recruited highly turn out to be great players. In fact, Kemoko Turay is a perfect example of this. A 2-star player with no significant offers other than from Rutgers. He has NFL written all over him.

But the operative word is "sometimes".

As others have pointed out, if ratings and "stars" don't matter, then how come programs like Ohio State and Alabama who get nothing but 4 and 5 star players, win national championships? And when schools who get nothing but 2 star players lose 45-7 to schools like Ohio State?

P.S. And I don't think it's necessary to get personal by implying I'm stupid by saying you're "not surprised I didn't get the point". For what it's worth, I have an MBA from Rutgers. And I didn't earn it by having a reading comprehension problem. Can't people in this forum have a discussion/debate without attacking each other?

Kyle is that you? Great recruiting philosophy. You're doing a stellar job.

Reactions: IMARUFAN
The bottom line with limited # for 2016 class, I would guess no as we have both punters and one FG kicker graduating and as the Schiano rule was recruit one every 4 years We getting a double hit in 2016 as we need one of each at a minimum.
So no room for extra QB

Reactions: IMARUFAN
ADVERTISEMENT