ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin denies RB Jordan Stevenson Admission (Link)

Isn't this issue why Gary Anderson (the coach prior to Cryst) left to go to Oregon St.? Wisconsin was making it hard for recruits to be admitted.
If so, good for Wisconsin holding a standard! How many other places actually do this?

Reactions: Scarlet1984
IIRC, Wisconsin has the most rigorous academic requirements for football admits. I don't recall where I saw it but was surprised when I did. I think the other rigorous one was Illinois?

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Pass we are loaded at RB. Just because the player is a 4 star doesn't mean he is better than the guys we have or are coming in.

Reactions: ScarletKnightRider
IIRC, Wisconsin has the most rigorous academic requirements for football admits. I don't recall where I saw it but was surprised when I did. I think the other rigorous one was Illinois?

You must mean in the B1G. No way are they more rigorous than Stanford.

No thanks. Our APR scores are fine the way they are. Let him go to the SEC

Sucks for the kid, but its pretty cool that Wisconsin did that. Really puts it into perspective that these are just students and they should have to actually get into the school first before they can get onto the team.

Here's what Wisconsin is generally seeking - they undoubtedly bend the standard for 'exceptional' applicants - but guess they don't bend a lot -

From an independent sports site - the scores for Wisconsin :
  • ACT 25 percentile: 26
  • ACT 75 percentile: 30
  • SAT Read 25 percentile: 530
  • SAT Read 75 percentile: 650

• SAT Math 25 percentile: 630
  • SAT Math 75 percentile: 750
Directly from the school website:
We consider both GPA and rank in the context of your school. We typically see unweighted, academic GPAs between a 3.7 and a 4.0, and a class rank in the 84-97 percentile.
Admitted students will typically score between 27-31 on the ACT and 1800-2070 on the SAT, although there is no minimum required score.

Don't be fooled. Wisky bends the rules when they want to. I can think of a few RBs who did not meet those standards and we're still admitted.

What makes you so sure he would be admitted to Rutgers?

Besides, while I realize he's a 4 star the cupboard is hardly bare at RB. It may be the deepest position on the team.

He meets ncaa standards, supposedly, but not Wisconsin standards.

You can never have enough running backs, especially in a conference like the B1G. We need to recruit a steady stream of them. If Martin and Hicks go pro after year 3, like Ray Rice, were in big trouble.

"In less than 45 minutes after receiving his release, Stevenson spoke with coaches from nine different college programs, including Oregon State, Nebraska, Louisville, Indiana, Pittsburgh, Texas Tech, Florida, Alabama and Tennessee." This is from a 247 article.

This is exactly how we got Nate Nurse of Don Bosco about 10 years ago. He was denied admission by Wisconsin in the early summer after his senior year in HS after already being given a student ID #. The obvious mindset at that point in time was they had too many OL and he was low man on the totem pole.

So this guy had already signed his LOI, meaning he was all set for the fall. Seems pretty late for Wisconsin to pull the plug on him, though I support them for doing so. But why wait so long?

Just a hunch - but figuring that - like all other students he had to apply ... many many months ago - and was probably then "accepted" (and like everyone else - subject to satisfactory completion of his high school studies) ... possibly he succumbed to a terminal case of "senioritis" ?
Many kids cut the engines & glide into graduation .... and some of them miscalculate & crash & burn... disastrously.

Wisconsin's academic standards are ridiculous. That's a big reason why Bielema left and Anderson left. They are one of the best public schools in the nation, but they set their standards pretty high.

Nebraska is the leader for Stevenson, and I hope we land him. He can run wild on Wisconsin for four years.

OSU had an OL not admitted this year as well, tried to go to ND instead but they wouldn't admit him either so he went to an SEC school.

Just a hunch - but figuring that - like all other students he had to apply ... many many months ago - and was probably then "accepted" (and like everyone else - subject to satisfactory completion of his high school studies) ... possibly he succumbed to a terminal case of "senioritis" ?
Many kids cut the engines & glide into graduation .... and some of them miscalculate & crash & burn... disastrously.

Correct. Signing an LOI doesn't guarantee you admission, even if you meet minimum NCAA qualifications.

Wisconsin's Admission Dept could have decline him for multiple reasons...for HS or testing results/course work and/or even background personal info.

You can never have enough running backs, especially in a conference like the B1G. We need to recruit a steady stream of them. If Martin and Hicks go pro after year 3, like Ray Rice, were in big trouble.

The odds that 2 RBs in the same class at any school would leave early in the same year are miniscule. Ever happen at OSU or Alabama? And Corey Clement could have left Wisky as a RS sophomore but stayed in, and with good reason.

Beyond that, I have high expectations for Snorweah. He'll probably be red shirted, but only because of the depth in upperclassmen that RU has.

Wisconsin's academic standards are ridiculous. That's a big reason why Bielema left and Anderson left. They are one of the best public schools in the nation, but they set their standards pretty high.

Nebraska is the leader for Stevenson, and I hope we land him. He can run wild on Wisconsin for four years.
Explain why good academics is "ridiculous"?

So this guy had already signed his LOI, meaning he was all set for the fall. Seems pretty late for Wisconsin to pull the plug on him, though I support them for doing so. But why wait so long?

He was not eligible originally, but really wanted to be a Badger. He had a list of things to he had to accomplish, including a higher ACT score and a summer school class. The decision was made very quickly after the grades and scores were submitted. The athletic department thought that he has done everything asked and appealed to the chancellor who turned down the appeal. The delay was because Stevenson wanted to try everything to go to Wisconsin.

It is revisionist history to say this is why Bielema left. He left for other, more personal, reasons. Anderson did partially because of this.

ADVERTISEMENT