ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin's Bo Ryan to Retire

knightfan7

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 31, 2003
Manasquan, NJ
2015-16 will be his last season at the helm.

He wants long time Asst, Greg Gard, to succeed him.

Last edited:
I would be surprised if someone without HC experience got the job.
It is a plum job, so it would be a good bet that a experienced HC would be hired .
But Alvarez might feel keeping Gard would be the best way to continue Bo's success and keep a top staff intact along with recruiting the type of players that Ryan did.
Gard was the main recruiter and if he could keep Close, Barry might grant Bo his wish.
Sometimes a total changeover isn't necessary.
I think before the season is over we'll know if Gard is going to be Ryan's replacement.
I we don't expect you're right about an experienced HC will be hired.

Many moons ago: Bill Guthridge was a pretty good replacement for Dean Smith and was an assistant his whole career
(30 at NC under Smith) before being handed the NC HC job.

I too will be happy to see Bo retire. He is a very good coach. we need to be able to move up in the standings.

Tony Bennett from UVA is a native of Wisconsin and a former Ryan Assistant IMO will be their first choice.

Not sure he would want it----personally I would stay at UVA------but he is a bigtime HC. Their might be another guy somewhere that they would reach out to. Boyle At Colorado IMO would be a good fit there.

It's a great job and maybe it falls to Gard but the AD has plenty of time to gauge national interest in it.

Tony Bennett from UVA is a native of Wisconsin and a former Ryan Assistant IMO will be their first choice.

Not sure he would want it----personally I would stay at UVA------but he is a bigtime HC. Their might be another guy somewhere that they would reach out to. Boyle At Colorado IMO would be a good fit there.

It's a great job and maybe it falls to Gard but the AD has plenty of time to gauge national interest in it.

Bennett started out as an assistant at Wisconsin under his father Dick Bennett and stayed on when Bo took over
for a couple of years before heading to Wash St when his father took the HC job there and succeeded him as the HC there.
Wisconsin ties ( Badger assistant along with playing his college ball at Wisconsin/Green Bay ) make Tony a good guess , if Alvarez goes for an experienced HC .
There are more choices out there, but Tony Bennett might be the best fit of the bunch, if Wisconsin doesn't promote from with-in.

I heard on ESPN Radio this morning he's going to open up a pub after the next season ends
1401210750499.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT