ADVERTISEMENT

Women's lax

78CollegeAve

All American
Jul 2, 2001
You know, I could have just stuck needles in my eyes for a couple hours last night but ... NO, I had to get sucked into watching my alma mater on the BTN against Lehigh. Fascinating to learn that RU hasn't beaten Lehigh in women's lax since 1991. Depressing to learn that RU is now 1-11 after losing to 7-5 Lehigh by 10-8.

Three points --

1. I thought that women's volleyball would be the most dreadful program in B1G Year 1. Ladies lax will test that theory. They won the opener against Villanova and could end with a losing streak worthy of Eddie Jordan and his boys. Mercifully, Saturday's game at #1 Maryland is on BTN-plus so I won't get sucked in to watch. A 1-16 record looks likely. After this year, the coach will be under .500 in RU's conference in 12 of 13 seasons.

2. The rules for women are terrible. Lehigh basically played keepaway for most of the last 8 or 9 minutes of the game. No shot clock, no stall warnings. Just a joke.

3. They had a giveaway for the first 100 fans that entered HPSS. Announced attendance was 171.

1) I wouldn't be surprised to see a change made in the program. The staff just hasn't gotten it done, but then again, look at the support they likely get. Will anyone else be able to get it done without an increase in help? If a change gets made, I would only look at NW/Maryland grads as coaches. They all seem to be successful

2) The rules are awful. With no shot clock, it literally might be the most boring game on earth. At least schools like Maryland and NW get after it. That would probably be a high scoring game.

3) Not surprising. Womens lacrosse is a tough sell right now, and when you aren't winning, that is a recipe for no fans.

Originally posted by 78CollegeAve:
You know, I could have just stuck needles in my eyes for a couple hours last night but ... NO, I had to get sucked into watching my alma mater on the BTN against Lehigh. Fascinating to learn that RU hasn't beaten Lehigh in women's lax since 1991. Depressing to learn that RU is now 1-11 after losing to 7-5 Lehigh by 10-8.

Three points --

1. I thought that women's volleyball would be the most dreadful program in B1G Year 1. Ladies lax will test that theory. They won the opener against Villanova and could end with a losing streak worthy of Eddie Jordan and his boys. Mercifully, Saturday's game at #1 Maryland is on BTN-plus so I won't get sucked in to watch. A 1-16 record looks likely. After this year, the coach will be under .500 in RU's conference in 12 of 13 seasons.

2. The rules for women are terrible. Lehigh basically played keepaway for most of the last 8 or 9 minutes of the game. No shot clock, no stall warnings. Just a joke.

3. They had a giveaway for the first 100 fans that entered HPSS. Announced attendance was 171.
School and lousy weather kept me away. By the way, did you know how hard it is to get to and from Lacrosse games on the Weekend for a student? Closest bus stop is around 10-15 minutes away walking, partially because the only entrance they open is the scarlet lot one. But then they have you sit on the opposite side. So in order to get back to the bus from the game, you need to walk all the way around HPSS to the opposite gate, then walk about 4/5 of the way back around HPSS to get to the road. Then you walk down the road to Werblin to catch a bus. They certainly don't make it easy...I'm not quite sure why they don't play at Yurcak, it's far easier to get to.

Originally posted by e5fdny:

It's just not the same game.
A buddy of mine and I who played at Uva were speaking about this.

They should scrap the women's game and just make it like the men's game, like hockey. Give em the same rules, equipment, and let them get after it.

Originally posted by Caliknight:

Originally posted by e5fdny:

It's just not the same game.
A buddy of mine and I who played at Uva were speaking about this.

They should scrap the women's game and just make it like the men's game, like hockey. Give em the same rules, equipment, and let them get after it.
I have a friend who played at Women's Soccer at UVA who felt the same way....just not the same.

Make it like hockey as you suggest and treat it like they do for the women's version (which doesn't really allow checking like the men's game but incidental stuff is OK)...I bet a lot of girls would go for that.

And while were at it WBB should play with the same size ball.

My daughter is in high school and has 2 brothers that play lax. Her friends tried to get her to play...she said she would if it was the boys game. No reason the girls can't play the same type of game

Originally posted by Sir ScarletKnight:
Originally posted by 78CollegeAve:

Three points --

School and lousy weather kept me away. By the way, did you know how hard it is to get to and from Lacrosse games on the Weekend for a student? Closest bus stop is around 10-15 minutes away walking, partially because the only entrance they open is the scarlet lot one. But then they have you sit on the opposite side. So in order to get back to the bus from the game, you need to walk all the way around HPSS to the opposite gate, then walk about 4/5 of the way back around HPSS to get to the road. Then you walk down the road to Werblin to catch a bus. They certainly don't make it easy...I'm not quite sure why they don't play at Yurcak, it's far easier to get to.
There are many things that I can say to you about your post. I'll just point out that at age 17, when my clunker of a car wouldn't start, I RAN from my house in South Amboy down Rt. 9 to the Browntown section of Old Bridge to my job at a grocery store. Also, do you realize that there are people who collect Social Security that make that walk around the stadium from and back to the Scarlet Lot for every football game. A few of those may have been doing the low crawl in the jungles of Vietnam at your age.

WLax is very disappointing - a couple years ago the program seemed headed in the right direction - national ranking and nice wins. Now heading the other way and losing not just to B1G schools but to schools like Lehigh which are barely scholarship programs. Just awful, but, sadly, consistent with the mediocrity or worse of most of our non-rev sports.

My daughters play Lax, one now coaches in HS, and the game does need a shot clock and after 6 years I still haven't figured out all of the rules. But, when played well, it can be a fun game to watch.

As for RU they are doing a very poor job of recruiting they have never been down to my daughters HS and we have three girls playing in college, two at Ohio State. Of the other D1 players at other schools I haven't heard of any from the area planning on attending RU.

Tried to watch the game at Ohio State last night. Gave up after about 15 minutes. Just not fun. The RU women are, in a word -- embarrassing. JH really has some projects to just get to mediocrity -- women's vball, women's lax, men's hoops ...

For the most part, with a very few exceptions, the record of our non-revs (and MBB) both in the B1G and otherwise is beyond humiliating (multiple teams without a single victory in conference competition and losses to small, minor non-conference opponents) - but it will not change appreciably until major donors step up. It's that simple. Remember Field Hockey (another dismally performing sport) had trouble raising the paltry $30K that they needed this year and had to resort to going online and essentially "begging" for money - once you see things like that at a university (shocking at the flagship school of an ostensibly wealthy state) - you know the sports programs are going to be pretty awful.

There are many things that I can say to you about your post. I'll just point out that at age 17, when my clunker of a car wouldn't start, I RAN from my house in South Amboy down Rt. 9 to the Browntown section of Old Bridge to my job at a grocery store. Also, do you realize that there are people who collect Social Security that make that walk around the stadium from and back to the Scarlet Lot for every football game. A few of those may have been doing the low crawl in the jungles of Vietnam at your age.

Not saying I can't do it, I'm just saying that they make it harder than they have to. I do it because I'm a Rutgers fanatic.. But if you want casual student fan support for sports like Women's LaX, you don't make it super hard to get there, you make it as convenient as possible.

My daughters play Lax, one now coaches in HS, and the game does need a shot clock and after 6 years I still haven't figured out all of the rules. But, when played well, it can be a fun game to watch.

As for RU they are doing a very poor job of recruiting they have never been down to my daughters HS and we have three girls playing in college, two at Ohio State. Of the other D1 players at other schools I haven't heard of any from the area planning on attending RU.

I think this is a problem in a few of the women's sports that I have seen, they are not recruiting NJ enough. My next door neighbor's daughter led the state in assists as a senior and scored over 300 goals in HS. RU did not recruit her and she is now playing at Ohio State. They started recruiting her after her sophomore year.

I think this is a problem in a few of the women's sports that I have seen, they are not recruiting NJ enough. My next door neighbor's daughter led the state in assists as a senior and scored over 300 goals in HS. RU did not recruit her and she is now playing at Ohio State. They started recruiting her after her sophomore year.

Ohio State is cleaning up in NJ in these sports, their current goalie who's an All-American is from Sea Bright.

ADVERTISEMENT