ADVERTISEMENT

Wow Edsall extended 3yrs

8c370e893e311d8a7840163df698f55f38808a71efe9d7cf989a10274cce2cc9.jpg

When are these AD's going to learn. I would like to see the terms. If they are trying to lock him up with a low ball amount like JH did with Flood, and a reasonable buyout, I guess it's ok, but if its big money with no buyout, I don't get it.

His buyout is still 500k, so the extension was done more so for recruiting purposes. just saw on sb nation twitter

Im liking it for us. Maryland is like us I think. With the right coach they could reruit pretty fiercely. Or they could get a great on field coach and beat us regularly. Or both. I dont think Edsall is a great coach nor is he a great recruiter.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
His buyout is still 500k, so the extension was done more so for recruiting purposes. just saw on sb nation twitter
Agree.
It was a good move to extend Edsall, but have a cheap buyout if Randy doesn't produce.

With the new contract, Edsall's buyout was lowered from $2m to $500k, so this is a big win for everyone involved IMO

Edsall is a poor recruiter historically, but he's had some good wins through the years including a couple vs us and some other good teams.
At UConn he was a poor recruiter because of where he was at.
But was able to get his players to be competitive, most years, in the BE.

As Maryland's HC he seems to be doing a better job recruiting talent there, but can't be considered a top recruiter.
Randy does get some good ones (4*), some average ones (3*)and some of the kids we call under the radar here ,
if they aren't rated 3*.
I wouldn't knock Edsall's recruiting since he went to Maryland, but couldn't brag about his recruiting either.

It's Randy's coaching that might be subject to criticism, even if he did a fairly good job at UConn after his 4-8 2006 season

The Terps won at State college and at Michigan last year. I hope RU can do the same this upcoming season.

Last year's RU at College Park game was the best away game I attended. We had #GoodNova show up in the second half of that game.

With the new contract, Edsall's buyout was lowered from $2m to $500k, so this is a big win for everyone involved IMO
Isn't a buyout what it would cost other teams? Schools don't have buyouts they usually negotiate guarantees. I doubt if Maryland wanted to fire him next season it would only cost them 500k. Edsall would be a moron to sign that as he makes over 2 million a year and had years left.

Edsall is a poor recruiter historically, but he's had some good wins through the years including a couple vs us and some other good teams.

Maryland has done a huge facility upgrade on campus with an indoor practice facility that dwarfs what RU has and that will help Edsall be a more effective recruiter. From a facilities perspective if RU wants to run with the big dogs we need to stop pissing with the puppies.

Maryland has done a huge facility upgrade on campus with an indoor practice facility that dwarfs what RU has and that will help Edsall be a more effective recruiter. From a facilities perspective if RU wants to run with the big dogs we need to stop pissing with the puppies.
LOL. Yeah - well just take the $150 million we have sitting around in the bank vaults and throw it at having a marginally better FB team. Good plan.

Having renovated & new facilities doesn't guarantee a boost in recruiting. Just look at Syracuse, who have invested heavily in the last 5 years or so.

Isn't a buyout what it would cost other teams? Schools don't have buyouts they usually negotiate guarantees. I doubt if Maryland wanted to fire him next season it would only cost them 500k. Edsall would be a moron to sign that as he makes over 2 million a year and had years left.

No, the buyout is paid by UMD in the case that they want to fire Edsall before his contract expires. Though the buyout was lowered from 2m to 500k, Edsall's salary was increased along with the extension. Not to mention the new buyout doesn't go into effect until after next year, so he likely wouldn't be fired until the end of the 2016 season in that case (year #1 with Haskins).

No, the buyout is paid by UMD in the case that they want to fire Edsall before his contract expires. Though the buyout was lowered from 2m to 500k, Edsall's salary was increased along with the extension. Not to mention the new buyout doesn't go into effect until after next year, so he likely wouldn't be fired until the end of the 2016 season in that case (year #1 with Haskins).
Ok, so basically they gave him a one year raise and an additional 500k before they can him.

Im liking it for us. Maryland is like us I think. With the right coach they could reruit pretty fiercely. Or they could get a great on field coach and beat us regularly. Or both. I dont think Edsall is a great coach nor is he a great recruiter.
He's getting better as a recruiter since he has 3 of the top 10 in Maryland already and the WR Diggs will be at least 4 top 10 recruits. They are number 6 so far in recruiting in the Big Ten and we are number 10. Maryland has more 4 stars than NJ and I noticed the last few years recruiting wise, he going to have all 4 stars on the OL starters.

MadHat,

Edsall went to Syracuse, he graduated high school in York Pennsylvania and had no relationship to the university of maryland before becoming the head coach there

"I wouldn't knock Edsall's recruiting since he went to Maryland, but couldn't brag about his recruiting either."
Went to Maryland was as their HC is what I meant, maybe worded it in a way that could be taken wrong.

"I wouldn't knock Edsall's recruiting since he went to Maryland, but couldn't brag about his recruiting either."
Went to Maryland was as their HC is what I meant, maybe worded it in a way that could be taken wrong.
Not only is he not a good recruiter,....he was losing the good players he had until he was forced to accept Mike "Super recruit" Locksley by the admins a couple yrs ago...he was considered a bust hire. UConn could have told the admins that as far as recruiting!!! Coaching UR talent is his strength.

At UConn he was a poor recruiter because of where he was at.
But was able to get his players to be competitive, most years, in the BE.

As Maryland's HC he seems to be doing a better job recruiting talent there, but can't be considered a top recruiter.
Randy does get some good ones (4*), some average ones (3*)and some of the kids we call under the radar here ,
if they aren't rated 3*.
I wouldn't knock Edsall's recruiting since he went to Maryland, but couldn't brag about his recruiting either.

It's Randy's coaching that might be subject to criticism, even if he did a fairly good job at UConn after his 4-8 2006 season
Never been known as recruiting whiz...2 star coach ups and we can thank him for an all ACC OT who transfered here his Sr yr a couple yrs ago. Mike LoX saved his job!!I was on and joined Testudo times and saw how many recruits they were losing and extended.

Not only is he not a good recruiter,....he was losing the good players he had until he was forced to accept Mike "Super recruit" Locksley by the admins a couple yrs ago...he was considered a bust hire. UConn could have told the admins that as far as recruiting!!! Coaching UR talent is his strength.

Can't say he's a bad recruiter. the dude did pull haskins. We haven't had a QB recruit like that ever

Can't say he's a bad recruiter. the dude did pull haskins. We haven't had a QB recruit like that ever
Doubt is was him? Heard Haskins though is recruiting a "dream team" for HIM. Haskins has a top Twenty hit list listed our recent commit OT Eli Johnson...we got him!

Yes..as I said I joined Testudo times today after lurking there and UConn's Boneyard for yrs...RE is what he is. I know RE had little to do with recruiting anyone. Credit Haskins and Locksley...thank RE or they'd "MD" be dangerous to us...Keep RE at Md lol.

You hit it.

I have never understood why everyone on this board rags on edsall all the time. The guy is not that bad. He has a better resume than anyone who has ever coached at rutgers. He is not saban, but he has done a good job.

Edsall's recruiting is aided immensely by QB coach, Mike Locksley.

This, which is what I said in another thread. HC's get too much blame/credit for recruiting.

We need a couple more kick @ss slick recruiters. I am not sure we have any Hafley's on the staff.

I have never understood why everyone on this board rags on edsall all the time. The guy is not that bad. He has a better resume than anyone who has ever coached at rutgers. He is not saban, but he has done a good job.
He's not Doug Marrone...hes smart enough to know he needed locksley and basically be a decent HC. Too bad DM didnt know that....now he was a better coach but too stubborn to pander.

Very top heavy. As many 2*s as 3 and 4 combined right now. But they do have some nice players at the top of the class.
There class is only 32st? I think were around Fortieth? I'll take our chances with mostly good 3's and maybe a couple 4's later. Flash at the top but NO DEPTH.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT