ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Scholarships & Financial Data

Jaroslav Hasek

Sophomore
Apr 30, 2014
Rutgers
Athletes receiving aid: 21 of 27
Scholarships awarded: 8.06 full scholarships for $266,203
Revenue: $716,085 ($198,980 student fees)
Expenses: $716,085
Balance: $0

from this very interesting article about Cleveland State's reinstatement but also the wrestling collegiate landscape as a whole.

Rutgers is listed has generated the 3rd most revenue in the Big Ten, however that is without counting PSU, who I think we can safely assume is on par with Ohio State and Iowa and above Rutgers.

I would also be interested in seeing the revenue break down for Rutgers. Because even removing student fees from revenue, RU would show a smaller negative balance than pretty much all the other D1 schools listed. Hopefully this is noticed by the admins and can be used to justify more resources being devoted to the program.

Also interesting to see RU has almost 2 full scholarships not being utilized. not sure if that is self imposed for financial reasons or if the coaches are strategically saving that for specific recruits.

Would be interested to hear other folks' thoughts who are close to the program.

How are Iowa State (10.45) & Oregon State (11.54) giving more than the NCAA max 9.9 schollies?

I hate to be that guy that comes on here and says yes but I can't tell you who. But yes and as soon as I can I will tell you who. I will tell you he is a HS Junior so that class is looking real good with MacKall and Paetzell already committing.

Reactions: Jersey Boys
I hate to be that guy that comes on here and says yes but I can't tell you who. But yes and as soon as I can I will tell you who. I will tell you he is a HS Junior so that class is looking real good with MacKall and Paetzell already committing.
This wasn't Tom Docherty?

No not Tommy Docherty, I just saw that today. Can't see how all these kids fit in a 30 man roster.

What state? Why is 30 the #? We can go higher.

Nope school set the limit at 30. This was discussed by Coach Pollard at the last skull session. It has to do with title IX. Not an NCAA rule just a school rule.

Nope school set the limit at 30. This was discussed by Coach Pollard at the last skull session. It has to do with title IX. Not an NCAA rule just a school rule.
There are easy ways around that: Designate someone SKWC or add a girl to dance or cheer or something else.

I read on d1collegewrestling.net that Luis Gonzalez is transferring to RU. Haven't heard anything about it. He was at army I believe.

Isn't Paulsboro 2014 State Champ Ron Gentile still a commit?

No information here, but Rypel, Correnti or possibly Sutton could surely help at 197. Guess we stay tuned on this one. $$$$

i think Sutton is class of 2015, no? another name mentioned in 2016 class recruiting is Kyle Bierdumpfel, #49 on Intermat's 2016 rankings. listed at 126 but i remember seeing video and he looked tall with a big frame. could very well end up mid or upper weight.

Donner is a great addition to the upper weights. I'm guessing he's being recruited at 174/184.
Placed 3rd at states as a junior and this past year battled injuries all year and defaulted out after making it to the quarterfinals at states.
Let's hope he and Gentile can stay healthy at Rutgers.

Donner is a great addition to the upper weights. I'm guessing he's being recruited at 174/184.
Placed 3rd at states as a junior and this past year battled injuries all year and defaulted out after making it to the quarterfinals at states.
Let's hope he and Gentile can stay healthy at Rutgers.

Placed 3rd as a Soph. This past season was his junior year.

Reactions: obrats
Good get. Had a tough year due to injury, but he's a good one.
bit of a tweener, will add some depth. Hope this isn't the top of the Big man recruiting list. Got to get out of jersey 4 upper weights-there is MAYBE 1 or 2(Grello,Mulligan) impact wrestlers in the uppers in NJ(Sutton is 2 yrs away from D1 if he goes that rt). How can a D1 B1G school have so few capable upper weights?

bit of a tweener, will add some depth. Hope this isn't the top of the Big man recruiting list. Got to get out of jersey 4 upper weights-there is MAYBE 1 or 2(Grello,Mulligan) impact wrestlers in the uppers in NJ(Sutton is 2 yrs away from D1 if he goes that rt). How can a D1 B1G school have so few capable upper weights?

Re: him being a tweener, I sort of agree in that I don't really envision him getting any larger than 174 because of his build. He's a stalky kid. Can even see him at 165 his first year, depending on how big he gets. He kind of looks like Matt Brown (just not as cut), body type wise.

Doesn't help the weakest part of the team......184 & 197. Plus, once Billy is gone, we don't seem to have a plan for HVY. Although, I'm sure the coaches have some ideas.

But, it's always good to get solid kids in the room. You never know what they may develop into.

Dinner is a good pickup!!
I just read the financial information posted by Hasek.
Goodale and his staff have done an unbelievable job setting to a break even point !
I should also give credit to all the people behind the scenes ,donors,fans,supporters!!!!
The team needs an upgrade of wrestling practice facility!
I can not believe athletics could not negotiate for the third floor at college ave.
I understand recreation needs space also, but this program has proven it can be positive cash flow for the university. This financial data is only half of the revenue this program has generated. The positive spin alone is worth it's weight in gold for a University that has a hard time getting out of it' sway.
I know Julie and her staff are working hard to improve the facilities. The athletic budget is only 2% of the university budget! This program deserves an upgrade of facilities!
Let's go RU!!! Get behind them!

We are recruiting Grello, Mulligan and Correnti very hard for upper weights. Howe is in this week working out with our kids.

Good but not great kids. They don't excite and will be hard for them move us forward. Hope we are also reaching out to the top kids around the country.

College All-State Team Released!
Kyle Bratke on Apr 25, 2015 | More Posts
Email
ASICS FloRankings and chose the higest ranked wrestlers. If no wrestlers from the state were ranked, we chose an NCAA qualifier from the state or looked in other divisions for national champions and/or All-Americans (Division II, III, NAIA, NJCAA).

In just a few instances we did use wrestlers who did not start this year so that we could complete the lineup.

10. New York

Team New York is lead by two-time defending national champion and three-time All-American, Nick Gwiazdowski and NCAA runnner-up and two-time All-American, Brian Relabuto of Cornell. Gwiazdowski isn't the only national champion on the team, as Joe Russ was a NJCAA national champion this year and Joe Giaramita was a Division III national champion. New York also boasts two other All-Americans in Tory Cain and Tyler Beckwith.

XF5IVYywmN9BWTKyypZv.jpg

125-Max Soria, Buffalo, previous NCAA qualifier
133-Joe Russ, Nassau Community College, NJCAA national champion
141-Anthony Abidin, Nebraska, NCAA qualifier
149-Cody Ruggirello, Hofstra, NCAA qualifier
157-Brian Realbuto, Cornell, NCAA runner-up
165-Dylan Palacio, Cornell, NCAA qualifier
174-Tory Cain, Rochester Tech, NCAA Division III 5th
184-Tyler Beckwith, SUNY Cortland, NCAA Division III 8th
197-Joe Giaramita, SUNY Cortland, NCAA Division III national champion
285-Nick Gwiazdowski, North Carolina State, NCAA national champion

9. Minnesota

Team Minnesota boasts seven All-Americans spanning across three different divisions. The Gopher state features four Division I All-Americans in Dylan Ness, Kurtis Julson, Hayden Zillmer and Mike Kroells. They also have a Division III national champion with Mike Fuenffinger, a DIII All-American with Eric Twahey and a DII All-American with Larry Bomstad.

l1EsiXvw7t8fa4AXDwHN.jpg

125-Mike Fuenffinger, Augsburg, Division III national champion
133-Ben Morgan, Minnesota
141-Mitch Bengston, North Dakota State, NCAA qualifier
149-Larry Bomstad, St. Cloud State, Division II 7th
157-Dylan Ness, Minnesota, NCAA 6th
165-Cooper Moore, Northern Iowa, NCAA qualifier
174-Kurtis Julson, North Dakota State, NCAA qualifier
184-Hayden Zillmer, North Dakota State, NCAA 6th
197-Eric Twohey, Wisconsin-La Crosse, NCAA Division III 3rd
285-Mike Kroells, Minnesota, NCAA 8th

8. Michigan

Michigan features five All-Americans and is led by NCAA finalist Adam Coon and national champion Gabe Dean. Conor Youtsey and Jackson Morse round out the list of Division I All-Americans for the Great Lakes State and Division II NCAA runner-up Sean Turner adds depth to the list of All-Americans for Team Michigan.

nQxZxCxSVDtq4ORN5fGn.jpg

125-Conor Youtsey, Michigan, NCAA 6th
133-Tyler Kesselring, Central Michigan
141-Mike Shaw, Eastern Michigan
149-Alec Pantaleo, Michigan, NCAA qualifier
157-Sean Turner, Anderson University, NCAA Division II runner-up
165-Jackson Morse, Illinois, NCAA fourth
174-Taylor Massa, NCAA qualifier
184-Gabe Dean, NCAA national champion
197-Anthony Abro, Eastern Michigan, NCAA qualifier
285-Adam Coon, Michigan, NCAA runner-up

7. Illinois

Team Illinois features nine Division I starters, all of whom were NCAA qualifiers, and four of which claimed All-American honors in St. Louis. Illinois also features two wrestlers in Jack Dechow and Austin Marsden who were All-Americans last year along with Blaise Butler who fell in the blood round. Farai Sewara added the only national title from the state claiming a Division III national title while only two wrestlers on this team elected to stay in state to compete.

eT7LGkK3rqBdC6SHOFWw.jpg

125-Eddie Klimara, Oklahoma State, NCAA 7th
133-Chris Dardanes, Minnesota, NCAA 4th
141-Lavion Mayes, Missouri, NCAA 7th
149-Kyle Langenderfer, Illinois, NCAA qualifier
157-Brian Murphy, Michigan, NCAA 7th
165-Farai Sewara, Coe College, Division III national champion
174-Blaise Butler, Virginia, NCAA qualifier
184-Jack Dechow, Old Dominion, NCAA qualifier, former All-American
197-Jeff Keopke, Illinois, NCAA qualifier
285-Austin Marsden, Oklahoma State, NCAA qualifier, former All-American

6. Missouri

Team Missouri is all about star power. Alan Waters, Cody Brewer, Drake Houdashelt, Blake Stauffer and J'den Cox anchor this line up. Three national champions and two other multiple time All-Americans are featured here. Johnny Eblen was consistently ranked in the top five all year and Devon Mellon fell in the blood round.

3QquhAwb6Pvt86COsx7U.jpg

125-Alan Waters, Missouri, NCAA 3rd
133-Cody Brewer, Oklahoma, NCAA national champion
141-Le'roy Barnes, Missouri, 2014 NJCAA national champion at Neosho Community College
149-Drake Houdashelt, Missouri, NCAA national champion
157-Derrick Weller, Lindenwood, Division II 5th
165-Cody Johnson, Missouri
174-Johnny Eblen, Missouri, NCAA qualifier
184-Blake Stauffer, Arizona State, NCAA 4th
197-J'den Cox, Missouri, NCAA 5th, former national champion
285-Devon Mellon, NCAA qualifier

5. Iowa

In a sharp contrast to Team Illinois, nine wrestlers on Team Iowa elected to stay in Iowa to compete. Iowa is lead by four wrestlers who placed in the top four at the NCAA Tournament, including two national finalists, and NCAA champion Kyven Gadson. Iowa also has two-time All-American Mike Moreno, who failed to place this year, and Tanner Weatherman, who has been in the blood round twice, along with Blaize Cabell also fell this year in the same round.

6lur7S4NnDlNlKqtbaNP.jpg

125-Thomas Gilman, Iowa, NCAA 4th
133-Cory Clark, Iowa, NCAA runner-up
141-Jake Marlin, North Iowa Community College, NJCAA runner-up
149-Brandon Sorensen, Iowa, NCAA 4th
157-Mike Kelly, Iowa, NCAA qualifier
165-Mike Moreno, NCAA qualifier, former All-American
174-Tanner Weatherman, Iowa State, NCAA qualifier
184-Willie Miklus, Missouri, NCAA 7th
197-Kyven Gadson, Iowa State, NCAA national champion
285-Blaize Cabell-Northern Iowa, NCAA qualifier

4. New Jersey

Team New Jersey boasts six All-Americans with five of those coming at the Division I level. Taylor Walsh and James Green lead the way for the Garden State with an NCAA finals appearance and a third place finish, respectively. New Jersey is also the home to three other Division I All-American's: Anthony Ashnualt, BJ Clagon and Jimmy Lawson. It is also the home to NCAA Division II runner-up Zach Zotollo.

3MNsks56oZh4PcbWc2ox.jpg

125-Evan Silver, Stanford, NCAA qualifier
133-Kevin Devoy, Drexel, NCAA qualifier
141-Anthony Ashnault, Rutgers, NCAA 8th
149-BJ Clagon, Rider, NCAA 5th
157-James Green, Nebraska, NCAA 3rd
165-Taylor Walsh, Indiana, NCAA 2nd
174-Zach Zotollo, The College of New Jersey, Division II runner-up
184-Hayden Hrymack, Rutgers
197-Abe Ayala, Princeton, NCAA qualifier
285-Jimmy Lawson, Penn State, NCAA 6th

3. California

Much like Missouri Team California is full of star power. The Golden State features three national champions across three different levels and another national finalist. This team features a total of seven All-Americans, with all ten team members qualifying for their national tournament.

NTA2Omx0LP8X0awTMYT7.jpg

125-Nahshon Garrett, Cornell, NCAA 5th
133-Ian Nickell, CSU Bakersfield, NCAA qualifier
141-Chris Mecate, Old Dominion, NCAA 6th
149 Christian Pagdilao, Arizona State, NCAA qualifier
157-Isaiah Martinez, NCAA national champion
165-Jim Wilson, Stanford, NCAA 8th
174- Joey Davis, Notre Dame College, NCAA Division II national champion
184-Nikko Reyes, Illinois, NCAA qualifier
197-Morgan McIntosh, Penn State, NCAA 3rd
285-Gabi Musallam, Missouri Valley, NAIA national champion

2. OhioTeam Ohio's line up is all Division I wrestlers with all of them qualifying for the NCAAtournament this year. Seven of those 10 qualifiers were All-Americans with four wrestlers finishing in the top three and two national champions. Former All-American Cody Walters fell in the blood round and for the second year in a row so did Max Thomusseit.

I9NI3P69uSgcCpb2p5EX.jpg

125-Nathan Tomasello, Ohio State, NCAA national champion
133-Ryan Taylor, Wisconsin, NCAA 7th
141-Logan Stieber, Ohio State, NCAA national champion
149-David Habat, Edinboro, NCAA runner-up
157- Nick Brascetta, Virginia Tech, NCAA 4th
165-Bo Jordan, Ohio State, NCAA 3rd
174-Cody Walters, NCAA qualifier, former All-American
184-Max Thomusseit, Pittsburgh, NCAA qualifier
197-Phil Wellington, Ohio, NCAA qualifier
285-Ty Walz, Virginia Tech, NCAA 7th

1. PennsylvaniaMuch like Ohio, all ten members of Team Pennsylvania are Division I wrestlers who all qualified for the NCAA Tournament. Eight of those 10 qualifiers were All-Americans, with six of them finishing in the top three. While Team PA didn't have a national champion, they did have four national finalists.

ANrZrAxZwDuIfZIfA6zY.jpg

125-Zeke Moisey, West Virginia, NCAA runner-up
133-AJ Schopp, Edinboro, NCAA 3rd
141-Mitchell Port, Edinboro, NCAA 2nd
149-Dan Neff, Lock Haven, NCAA 8th
157-Mitch Minotti, Lehigh, NCAA 8th
165-Tristan Warner, Old Dominion, NCAA qualifier
174-Tyler Wilps, Pittsburgh, NCAA runner-up
184-Nate Brown, Lehigh, NCAA runner-up
197-Zach Nye, Virginia, NCAA qualifier
285-Mike McMullan, Northwestern, NCAA 3rd

Seems to be an interesting coincidence that 3 of RU Wrestling biggest incoming recruits the next 2 seasons all had significant injuries (Gentile -torn labrum, Paetzall - broken hand, and now Donner)

Seems to be an interesting coincidence that 3 of RU Wrestling biggest incoming recruits the next 2 seasons all had significant injuries (Gentile -torn labrum, Paetzall - broken hand, and now Donner)

If Donner wasn't injured and won a state championship, maybe he entertains other offers. I have to trust Donnie P on the talent evaluation (He has the experience in the Big 10). It looks like Gentile's injury may be the worst but I am not a doctor. I am already looking forward to next season. I watched USA take on Iran and was stoked we took Silver in the competition. World competition is fun to watch, but It doesn't match the college atmosphere IMO.

If RU didn't get Gentile, Donner or Paetzall this board would complain about not recruiting them hard enough. A broken hand and high ankle sprain seem like that can be over come, torn labrum seems like it will take much longer to heal. Just my thoughts.

@IronmenWrstling: Congrats to Sam Cali on committing to Rutgers University!

@JoshMLowe: Cali was 3rd at state (qualified the previous two years) and a NHSCA Sr Nationals runner-up, both coming at 132 pounds.

Reactions: coachkos
@IronmenWrstling: Congrats to Sam Cali on committing to Rutgers University!

@JoshMLowe: Cali was 3rd at state (qualified the previous two years) and a NHSCA Sr Nationals runner-up, both coming at 132 pounds.

Great pickup, although is it a weight of need?

welcome, sam cali! he is a good wrestler! we really are strong from low to middle weights! it's easy to understand that kids want to wrestle day in and day out with who we already have in those weights.

Great pickup, although is it a weight of need?
Define need. We need more good wrestlers in the room. Also, it isn't like he's a 4x state champ & will go 141 where we have a similar stud in Ashnault. He's likely not getting a ton of $ so this is fine & needed depth.

ADVERTISEMENT