ADVERTISEMENT

Write To Your State Senator Regarding the Amy Towers Nomination

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
The State Senate needs to vote to confirm Amy Towers. Here is a list of Senators for NJ. Please write to your Senator if you think that Amy Towers should be voted to be a member of the Board of Governors.
Link to find your State Senator:
https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/districts/districtnumbers.asp#30
https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/districts/municipalities.asp

Sample letter (most info copied from her Wikipedia page):

Dear Senator __________,

I am writing to you in support of the nomination of Amy Tower to the Rutgers Board of Governors. Despite the fact that some in the Rutgers University faculty union do not support the nomination of Ms. Towers because she has donated $5 million to Rutgers Athletics, this is just one small facet of her background that should be considered. Ms. Towers will bring an excellent and diverse perspective to the Board. Ms. Towers has already been on several non-profit boards and serves on the Rutgers Board of Overseers, which governs the university’s fundraising foundation.

In 2006, Ms. Towers was awarded UNICEF’s Audrey Hepburn Humanitarian Award for her work in conflict zones in Niger, Ethiopia, South Sudan, Darfur, Somalia, and Zimbabwe. In 2007, Ms. Towers founded the Nduna Foundation to provide aid to children in the developing world with an emphasis on food security, HIV/AIDS, education, conservation, and wildlife restoration in Africa. In 2008, Ms. Towers donated $2 million to Teach for America to recruit teachers. In 2010, Ms. Towers donated $1 million to establish the Zimbabwe Collaborative Centre for Operational Research and Evaluation, a policy research and data hub in Zimbabwe created in partnership with the United Nations Children's Fund that provides information to charitable organizations looking to provide assistance in Zimbabwe. In 2010, Ms. Towers was selected to serve a five-year term on the board of directors of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Foundation.

Ms. Towers also serves as a Member of the Advisory Council of Acumen Fund, as board member of Human Rights Watch, The Elders, WITNESS, The U.S. Fund for UNICEF, The National Fish and Wildlife Foundation, Millennium Promise, KIPP Academy Charter Schools, The Allen-Stevenson School, and Teach for All. She is also actively involved with the Robin Hood Foundation, the International Medical Corps, and The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation. Ms. Towers is currently the board chair of Mana Nutrition, a producer of RUTF in Fitzgerald, GA.

I wholeheartedly support Ms. Towers' nomination to the Rutgers Board of Governors.

Sincerely,

The State Senate needs to vote to confirm Amy Towers. Here is a list of Senators for NJ. Please write to your Senator if you think that Amy Towers should be voted to be a member of the Board of Governors.
Link to find your State Senator:
https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/districts/districtnumbers.asp#30
https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/districts/municipalities.asp

Sample letter (most info copied from her Wikipedia page):

Dear Senator __________,

I am writing to you in support of the nomination of Amy Tower to the Rutgers Board of Governors. Despite the fact that some in the Rutgers University faculty union do not support the nomination of Ms. Towers because she has donated $5 million to Rutgers Athletics, this is just one small facet of her background that should be considered. Ms. Towers will bring an excellent and diverse perspective to the Board. Ms. Towers has already been on several non-profit boards and serves on the Rutgers Board of Overseers, which governs the university’s fundraising foundation.

In 2006, Ms. Towers was awarded UNICEF’s Audrey Hepburn Humanitarian Award for her work in conflict zones in Niger, Ethiopia, South Sudan, Darfur, Somalia, and Zimbabwe. In 2007, Ms. Towers founded the Nduna Foundation to provide aid to children in the developing world with an emphasis on food security, HIV/AIDS, education, conservation, and wildlife restoration in Africa. In 2008, Ms. Towers donated $2 million to Teach for America to recruit teachers. In 2010, Ms. Towers donated $1 million to establish the Zimbabwe Collaborative Centre for Operational Research and Evaluation, a policy research and data hub in Zimbabwe created in partnership with the United Nations Children's Fund that provides information to charitable organizations looking to provide assistance in Zimbabwe. In 2010, Ms. Towers was selected to serve a five-year term on the board of directors of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Foundation.

Ms. Towers also serves as a Member of the Advisory Council of Acumen Fund, as board member of Human Rights Watch, The Elders, WITNESS, The U.S. Fund for UNICEF, The National Fish and Wildlife Foundation, Millennium Promise, KIPP Academy Charter Schools, The Allen-Stevenson School, and Teach for All. She is also actively involved with the Robin Hood Foundation, the International Medical Corps, and The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation. Ms. Towers is currently the board chair of Mana Nutrition, a producer of RUTF in Fitzgerald, GA.

I wholeheartedly support Ms. Towers' nomination to the Rutgers Board of Governors.

Sincerely,

Do we have any indication that the legislature is seriously considering bucking Murphy on this?

Do we have any indication that the legislature is seriously considering bucking Murphy on this?
Have no idea. I don't follow State politics that closely, except the rape allegations that made it to the top of a news page I was looking at. Thought that Sweeney is no fan of Murphy, correct?

Have no idea. I don't follow State politics that closely, except the rape allegations that made it to the top of a news page I was looking at. Thought that Sweeney is no fan of Murphy, correct?

Yeah but it would be odd for this to be the hill to die on with so many other battles on going.

Knowing Sweeney if Murphy agreed to something for South Jersey he'd sign off on filling the BOG with former athletes lol.

Thank you Mr. Towers for that expertly crafted letter. I jest Knight. Great job on this!

Yeah but it would be odd for this to be the hill to die on with so many other battles on going.

Knowing Sweeney if Murphy agreed to something for South Jersey he'd sign off on filling the BOG with former athletes lol.
But that's the way politics works in general- quid pro quo. After reading her Wikipedia page, I find it hard to argue against her appointment. I pointed out in another thread that Northwestern has an ESPN anchor and the President of the Chicago Bulls on their Board of Trustees, which I believe is similar to our Board of Governors. Some Professors' heads would explode if we ever tried to nominate people like them to our BOG. Diverse perspectives are good.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Microbiologist Richard Ebright calling her a "parasite and an idiot" on twitter is so unprofessional and embarrassing.
Here's something funny and galling at the same time that makes Prof. Ebright look very bad here.
Amy Towers is actively involve with The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation. Rutgers just hired
Richard G. Marlink, a Harvard professor recognized internationally for research and leadership in the fight against AIDS, will join Rutgers as the inaugural Henry Rutgers Professor of Global Health and director of a new Global Health Institute at Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS).

Also, having served on the board of

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Foundation, which has partnered with Rutgers on at least tuberculosis research:
http://globaltb.njms.rutgers.edu/aboutus/partners.php

Yeah, Amy Towers is not worthy.

Not sure if David Stern, with his Rutgers undergrad and Columbia Law pedigree, would be interested but that could be a pretty influential person on the BOG. The faculty union would balk at his lack of higher education experience, of course, but it would be comical if someone of his stature and professional experience as commisioner of a multi-billion dollar, global athletic business enterprise such as the NBA could be considered unqualified.

Last edited:
Reactions: NotInRHouse
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT