ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Martini spotted at RU Football Practice per NJ.Com

Someone please explain the rationale behind wanting Martini? He can't stay in front of guys, horrific closing out on shooters. Doesn't rebound. Doesnt offer anything besides spot up shooting. What happens when he's not shooting well - but is still getting lit up on defense? I don't understand why target such a limited, one dimensional player

We could have easily gotten someone like Sean Moore. A multi dimensional player, showed up huge against Purdue in the tourney. 7 rebounds a game, does defend.

Committed to UNCW - and probably cost less than Martini

oh you haven't heard? We aren't playing defense next year.

The team's identity is now to run and gun and score 80 PPG

I agree it's probably not a good sign that he hasn't already decided. While I'd like to get him, we can't be too patient. We have to fill these 3 slots sooner than later so that Pike can start preparing for the season.

You guys are nervous! Let the kid announce on his own time (which he did). Sheesh. It's like you expected him to shake Greg's hand and walk over to Lanni and say "Tell everyone I'm in."

Reactions: shields
You guys are nervous! Let the kid announce on his own time (which he did). Sheesh. It's like you expected him to shake Greg's hand and walk over to Lanni and say "Tell everyone I'm in."
Exactly!!

Someone please explain the rationale behind wanting Martini? He can't stay in front of guys, horrific closing out on shooters. Doesn't rebound. Doesnt offer anything besides spot up shooting. What happens when he's not shooting well - but is still getting lit up on defense? I don't understand why target such a limited, one dimensional player

We could have easily gotten someone like Sean Moore. A multi dimensional player, showed up huge against Purdue in the tourney. 7 rebounds a game, does defend.

I know the kid isn't a star but I think Martini is an excellent fit for this team. He's a big, tourny-experienced dude that hustles. His leadership by example mentality will make sure he's not bruising any egos. He fills both the need for a shooter and a need for a wing that can defend. Pike jumped on him and wrapped him up quickly. I know you disagree on his defense but overall, this type of glue-guy is what we need as part of our team chemistry.

I'm not at all familiar with Sean Moore. He sounds good based on your review but maybe Rutgers isn't right for him.

We still need a starting center and an assassin. Those are the two hardest positions to fill and will define how far this team can go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT