ADVERTISEMENT

Zone Last Night

Miggins

Senior
Gold Member
Jul 26, 2001
Mahwah
We switched to it for a few minutes last night, and at 1st glance it appears it did not work well.
Believe NW hit 2 or 3 3-pointers. However watching it, the 3-point shots were actually heavily contested, but just "went in".

I know we are not a zone team, nor will we often use it.
Curious though everyone's thought about whether we should have gone back to it for some time in the 2nd half.
When we started piling up fouls in the middle of the 2nd half, thought it might be good to revert back to it for a few minutes (by nature think we get less fouls).

I wonder if the 3-pointers they hit against us in the 1st half against the zone played into Pike's decision not to return to it?
Also know they do not play many subs, and Pike also may be thinking to keep waring them down by playing press + man.

I like the zone …but pike seems to stick with it a little too long at times

You need to get out of the zone not just when they make a shot or two. You need to get out of it when they are just getting good looka

Two good looks in a row, make or miss…get out of it …don’t wait for them to get two out of four and get sone confidence and then switch to five when they have some momentum

Reactions: Scangg and RW90
The switch to the 2-3 in the first half changed the game. NW was dead and it allowed them to hit some shots and start to develop rhythm. I like to switch defenses but that was not a good decision by Pike (and he knew it which is why we players 1-3-1 in second half).

Reactions: ScarletDave
Shooters love a zone and even though nw shooting is struggling a bit this year they still have D1 guys that can knock ‘em down from the perimeter. I love it when we spring a quick defensive change and aggressively deploy a trapping zone to mix it up. But from an opponent’s perspective you punish the zone by hitting a few quick shots (just like breaking a press)… so like most things in hoops it comes down to execution. In last night’s game nw executed and the zone presented them with an opportunity. It’s not always that way.

OP kind of on it - NW made some heavily contested 3s. Audige hit 2 that were very well guarded

Reactions: Scangg
We switched to it for a few minutes last night, and at 1st glance it appears it did not work well.
Believe NW hit 2 or 3 3-pointers. However watching it, the 3-point shots were actually heavily contested, but just "went in".

I know we are not a zone team, nor will we often use it.
Curious though everyone's thought about whether we should have gone back to it for some time in the 2nd half.
When we started piling up fouls in the middle of the 2nd half, thought it might be good to revert back to it for a few minutes (by nature think we get less fouls).

I wonder if the 3-pointers they hit against us in the 1st half against the zone played into Pike's decision not to return to it?
Also know they do not play many subs, and Pike also may be thinking to keep waring them down by playing press + man.
What Pike does better than 99% of coaches, is switch up defenses multiple times per game. It just throws the offense off and causes teams to over think. It’s a nightmare for opposing coaches to prep for. So yes, keep adding new wrinkles and rotating defenses (including zone).

Reactions: RUChoppin
Normally our zone is terrific especially as a change up for 1-2 possessions. Last night’s mistake is we did not contest the middle as the center got the ball at the foul line and that is when they fished out for their 2 threes when they were really struggling to score. We normally do not allow the entry pass to the foul line and it burned us. Northwestern had a hard time scoring for like 30-35 minutes last night &until they went on their run aided by the refs and our failure to rebound. Not sure a zone was necessary

Normally not a fan of the zone, but our D numbers in the 2nd half were not very good. NW hit like seven 3-pointers, and clearly our foul trouble forced us to play less aggressively and give up easy drives.

I think the zone gives a good look. At one point last night, Pike showed zone and then about 8 seconds in, we switched to man--which is really clever. However, Simpson didn't realize the change (or miscounted in his head) and we left a guy wide open in the corner. NW missed their shot, but it was there.

Reactions: Scangg
I like when we mix things up and introduce some zone, but we need to be careful against better shooting teams who can take advantage. Maybe just run for a play or two and then switch back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT