ADVERTISEMENT

“We probably built the best stadium in America”: CSU AD Joe Parker unveils new football facility

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey

A 9,100-square-foot weight room with equipment customized to CSU’s strength program is adjacent to a fueling station for pre- and postworkout nutrition. Down the hall is an 11,000-square-foot sports medicine facility that can accommodate up to 60 athletes at once including training tables, rehab stations, cold/hot tubs and a therapy pool.

It’s also short walk to a locker room with ventilated stalls equipped with several power outlets, a team meeting space with 150 leather green-and-gold seats, and positional rooms just across the hallway. Players and recruits also have access to a lounge filled with leather couches, TVs and two pool tables.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/18/colorado-state-football-stadium-tour/

I bet a lot of it goes up in smoke lol.

Colorado State sold $239M of revenue bonds to entirely fund the new stadium. There is no funding from the State of Colorado. CSU's debt service payments will go on for a very long time, at least through 2055.

My limited understanding is the State of Colorado is actually very stingy with the public universities, and university funding for academics, much less a stadium, is very low to nothing.

http://source.colostate.edu/csu-system-completes-sale-of-239-million-in-bond/

Reactions: redking
It's a very nice facility, they should be proud of it. That said, IMO the "Best Stadium in America" it is not.

That video was a painful 2:39. It probably could have been chopped down to under a minute and done a better job of representing the facilities. If RU put out a video like that, this entire board would be up in arms about how amateurish it was.

But kudos to CSU for getting it done.

It's a very nice facility, they should be proud of it. That said, IMO the "Best Stadium in America" it is not.

That video was a painful 2:39. It probably could have been chopped down to under a minute and done a better job of representing the facilities. If RU put out a video like that, this entire board would be up in arms about how amateurish it was.

They just spent a ton of money to build a very nice stadium/facility. Can you blame them for trying to hype it?

Reactions: NickyNewark51
CSU has been a favorite of mine since the Bradlee Van Pelt days.

Been out to Hughes Stadium a few times and loved the setting. But now having this new on-campus stadium is very exciting and is a good excuse to go out there for the first time in a while to check it out!

The team looks like they could be in for a good year too.

Click through the photo gallery - Much better

Colorado State sold $239M of revenue bonds to entirely fund the new stadium. There is no funding from the State of Colorado. CSU's debt service payments will go on for a very long time, at least through 2055.

My limited understanding is the State of Colorado is actually very stingy with the public universities, and university funding for academics, much less a stadium, is very low to nothing.

http://source.colostate.edu/csu-system-completes-sale-of-239-million-in-bond/
State of Colorado is stingy in giving State school any type of financial help. They make New Jersey look like Big Time donors to Rutgers. If the cost of things in Colorado equal that of New Jersey, the University of Colorado and Colorado State would be bankrupt.

Reactions: RURM85
I couldn't tell from watching the video if the stadium offered views of the Rockies at all. Anyone know?

My nephew now lives in Fort Collins so hopefully I'll get to see it at some point.

Surprising to see that it will have just 36,500 seats. I would have thought that they would have built it up into an expandable mid-40s at least, to position themselves better for a possible future invitation to a P-5 conference. 36,500 isn't gonna excite the B12 or the Pac12.

They just spent a ton of money to build a very nice stadium/facility. Can you blame them for trying to hype it?
No, he should've said, "This new stadium complex is nice, but just okay by Big-Boy standards, but it's all we can afford." That'll get the Ram-faithful excited.

I don't care for the video either, but it was long because it's 360 video, so they wanted to give you time to explore each area by moving around your phone to see the entire area they were showcasing each time.

I couldn't tell from watching the video if the stadium offered views of the Rockies at all. Anyone know?

My nephew now lives in Fort Collins so hopefully I'll get to see it at some point.

Surprising to see that it will have just 36,500 seats. I would have thought that they would have built it up into an expandable mid-40s at least, to position themselves better for a possible future invitation to a P-5 conference. 36,500 isn't gonna excite the B12 or the Pac12.

Picture 40 shows a mountain

I know i'm not up on all the fancy technology........ but that was a very cool video with 360-degree pan

They so want to be in a P5 conference...not likely to happen...except maybe in a post steers and land thieves b12...

I think I saw it seats around 41K - the other number is probably from their old stadium. Either way, that is small compared to most other FBS programs.

I would imagine that the building could be expanded without much trouble if at some future date it becomes necessary. They are a logical Big 12 team if they think they can survive by expanding, although the American could pass a Big 12 without UT and OU and with CSU and whoever.

But for a MW team, that's quite a place. At the level they recruit at, this will help them.

Everyone thinking pot has brought Colorado incredible revenue needs to pump the brakes. It has been decent, but there also has been the associated strain on our social systems, especially from those thinking we have some kind of Shangri-La going on without any consequences. Plus, there's the risk associated with the federal structure.

That Atlantic piece was pure b.s., by the way.

Here's what I think I know about the new stadium (I'm not an expert by any stretch; just my observations as a Colorado resident and worker):
a) it's an impressive venue that now has revenue stream through suites (as opposed to the old place).
b) there was plenty of opposition from locals not wanting the disruption; and those who knew it would involve cost overruns. The athletic department kind of hid some costs.
c) it was definitely built with the P5 in mind. This may be a pipe dream, but CSU is desirable for size and location.
d) Hughes Stadium was serviceable, but like most MWC stadia, it didn't have much in the way of ammenities (think old concrete war memorial structures).
e) I'm pretty sure it can be expanded incrementally. This happened at HPPS.

I think it was a good idea to build this as a way to increase national profile, regardless of whether CSU gets into a P5 conference. The school has been aggressive about expanding CSU Global, its online division.

Wow Nice Turnout For Scrimmage/Open House:

Colorado State draws more than 21,400 to on-campus stadium open house

CSU capped the day with a 100-plus play football scrimmage

Among the two boys from Littleton were 21,447 fans who flocked to 751 West Pitkin Street for CSU’s community open house and football scrimmage, a free event to unveil the complex in its final stages of construction before kickoff Aug. 26 against Oregon State. With one slice of ribbon from Parker, the crowd roared, the white metal gates opened, and a $220 million project more than five years in the making finally opened to the public.

And most everyone walked the concourse with that same wide-eyed expression as those young boys at the front.

“Either jaws were down or smiles were up,” Parker said. “That made me feel pretty good.”

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/08/05/colorado-state-on-campus-stadium-open-house/

Not sure if stadium capacity is all that important anymore with the big TV contracts and conference sports networks.

I read somewhere that Nevada made 50 million in tax revenue in the first 6 months since it legalized pot. Thank goodness our state is so wealthy we do not need the money.
There is a downside and it will rear its ugly head in one short decade.

Reactions: SteveVA2
Maryland's new facility

^^^THIS^^^ was much better of a presentation than this...

A 9,100-square-foot weight room with equipment customized to CSU’s strength program is adjacent to a fueling station for pre- and postworkout nutrition. Down the hall is an 11,000-square-foot sports medicine facility that can accommodate up to 60 athletes at once including training tables, rehab stations, cold/hot tubs and a therapy pool.

It’s also short walk to a locker room with ventilated stalls equipped with several power outlets, a team meeting space with 150 leather green-and-gold seats, and positional rooms just across the hallway. Players and recruits also have access to a lounge filled with leather couches, TVs and two pool tables.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/18/colorado-state-football-stadium-tour/
Maryland’s was a “WOW” while Colorado State’s was more of a “that’s nice” type of thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT