ADVERTISEMENT

Football 10 game conference only schedule coming

They should reduce it to just division games and then have a four-team playoff (two from each division) and be done with.
This is the year to experiment.

There is no point in making teams that are no good to play more than five games.

Pretty ridiculous to give us Wisconsin. B1G always doing us favors... I'm sure Northwestern declined to play us.

ehhh just dont think them containing this to within the conference is meaningful enough to help resolve the overall issues.
To me picking a safer/safest option from an unsafe (atleast at the present time) overall plan is not making health the #1 overall priority as they keep saying. So in theory the plans make sense for what they are i just dont like the rationale they use about health meaning more than anything in making those decisions.

Separately, are they adjusting the helmets with shields/guards, etc (so it would be harder for transmission during plays)?

Also, any news about policies for individual players sitting out for Covid reasons? Does this apply? and across the board? Can people who have already finished their redshirt miss another season because of covid then come back? Saw espn article mentioned kids keeping scholarship even if they sit out because of Covid.

Now they just have to move it to the spring and we’ll be all set.

I was getting kinda hyped about the idea of spring football being a possibility...

Reading between the lines of the commissioner’s quote - the single biggest reason to do this is flexibility between conference members, which means the season could start and stop and restart again as needed.....even if it means Spring.

I’d be interested to see if they work in two or three bye weeks per team into the schedule, which would ease travel and maybe also help a roster Stay healthy.

Last edited:
Okay. fine. Not arguing.

How does this help?

Limiting liability?
Allows B1G teams to follow specific protocols that each team will know their opponents will follow?
saves money (somehow?)
just makes a smaller universe of things to worry about?

I dont disagree - I'm just trying to understand the argument that this is what they announced....
Liability Gotta be a big part of it
You’ll be more hesitant to sue a school in your conference if something goes afoul, it may jeopardize ones standing And the Big Ten pays handsomely on TV contracts

Last edited:
Pretty ridiculous to give us Wisconsin. B1G always doing us favors... I'm sure Northwestern declined to play us.

The way it works out with already scheduled crossover games and also with schools that have 5 home conference games vs 4 home games that's how it ends up. With it like this everyone has 5 home and 5 away. Nothing is final yet of course but it makes sense. If they go to all divisional games first I think that would change the added crossovers some.

Penn State @ Illinois
Ohio State @ Minnesota
Rutgers @ Wisconsin
Michigan State @ Nebraska
Indiana @ Northwestern
Maryland @ Purdue
Michigan @ Iowa

Open dates and current scheduled game dates also used to determine who plays who.

The way it works out with already scheduled crossover games and also with schools that have 5 home conference games vs 4 home games that's how it ends up. With it like this everyone has 5 home and 5 away. Nothing is final yet of course but it makes sense. If they go to all divisional games first I think that would change the added crossovers some.

Penn State @ Illinois
Ohio State @ Minnesota
Rutgers @ Wisconsin
Indiana @ Northwestern
Maryland @ Purdue
Michigan @ Iowa

Open dates and current scheduled game dates also used to determine who plays who.
Not buying it, lol. Why couldn't we play Northwestern? We're both open 9/12 and 9/19.

Reactions: rubigtimenow

Penn State @ Illinois
Ohio State @ Minnesota
Rutgers @ Wisconsin
Indiana @ Northwestern
Maryland @ Purdue
Michigan @ Iowa

Not buying it, lol. Why couldn't we play Northwestern? We're both open 9/12 and 9/19.

We can't play Northwestern because, other things equal, that would leave Indiana to play Wisconsin. Indiana already has Wisconsin on its schedule.

This decision basically kills the idea of spring term football. That's good. Playing in the Spring 2021 and Fall 2021 was a recipe for a lot of injuries.

So if this moves forward, fans or no fans? I say let the students attend the games with social distancing. No other fans permitted. Watch it on TV...

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
this whole fall sports exercise feels like watching a dampening wave fizzle out to zero
damped-SHM.gif

We can't play Northwestern because, other things equal, that would leave Indiana to play Wisconsin. Indiana already has Wisconsin on its schedule.
Brings me back to my days of scheduling hockey leagues--everyone thinks the scheduler's goal is to screw their team over, and forgets that a schedule is a jigsaw puzzle where if you move one piece, it affects all of the other pieces and sometimes there is only one way for it all to fit together.

Now they just have to move it to the spring and we’ll be all set.
Question, what do we do with the following fall schedule? If that happens, at some time very soon, they have to right size it and skip a season anyway- why not skip a season when it F-ing makes sense...You cannot play two football seasons in a single year.

Reactions: Scarlet16E
So- given the schedule, looks like we lose 1 sure win and a split between Temple/Cuse and gain a sure loss against Wisc.
Gives us winnable games against
Neb
MST
Indiana
Maryland
Purdue
Illinois
And will be underdogs in all of them unless we get a couple of wins early and any of the above start off real shitty.

If this stands and we play- I go with 2-4 wins for the season.

Reactions: mikershoein
From Kerry Drew on Fox5 this morning: "Rutgers is the ONLY local team in the Big 10, along with other powerhouses like Ohio State"

It has been a long six years since Rutgers joined, but I really liked the sound of that!!!
You see you don’t really have to win, just hang out with the big boys for a while and people think your one of them.Thats awesome. I’ll take it.Lol
On the other hand, now it’s time to start beating some of the big boys.Its going to be exciting if/when we actually get to play some games.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Do we have to buy out the Monmouth game now?
No, every contract has an “Act if God” clause, to allow cancellation of the game due to things like hurricanes, or earthquakes, global pandemics, etc with no penalty to either party

This decision basically kills the idea of spring term football. That's good. Playing in the Spring 2021 and Fall 2021 was a recipe for a lot of injuries.

So if this moves forward, fans or no fans? I say let the students attend the games with social distancing. No other fans permitted. Watch it on TV...
I have no problem with that set up. Rutgers can even keep our season ticket groups money as a payment for next year. However, if they ask me for another seat donation next year, another sport will suffer. As I will deduct from my annual donation to that sport in lieu of getting the shaft. I've been very generous through the years for an attitude of simply "participation" but my generosity ends when you try to pull a fast one.

Last edited:
I have no problem with that set up. Rutgers can even keep our season ticket groups money as a payment for next year. However, if they ask me for another seat donation next year, another sport will suffer. As I will deduct from my annual donation to that sport in lieu of getting the shaft. I've been very generous through the years for an attitude of simply "participation" but my generosity ends when you try to pull a fast one.
This apparently was addressed, and not to worry. I could not find where this was taken from, but it was posted in another thread:
There's nothing to wonder about, they addressed it a couple of months ago:

Updated COVID-19 Disclaimer: If an event is postponed, canceled, or otherwise altered due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Rutgers Athletics has made temporary changes to the refund policy to provide options for both ticket purchases and RSF seat fees (if applicable).

• Transfer payments as a credit towards a future purchase that season or the following season. At the conclusion of the following season, unused credits will be voided.
  • Change the allocation of payment into a tax-deductible athletic donation.
  • Receive a refund for the postponed or canceled event.

Question, what do we do with the following fall schedule? If that happens, at some time very soon, they have to right size it and skip a season anyway- why not skip a season when it F-ing makes sense...You cannot play two football seasons in a single year.

Maybe start the fall season a month late and/or remove the OOC games from there as well?

Who says you can’t play two season in 1 year? Why not, 20 games spread over the course of a year is not the end of the world.

Maybe start the fall season a month late and/or remove the OOC games from there as well?

Who says you can’t play two season in 1 year? Why not, 20 games spread over the course of a year is not the end of the world.
Have you played football at this level while attending school and for the most part, still a “kid”?

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch (assuming we can't include conference mates in our schadenfreude for purposes of this discussion)
It will be the lower tier teams in the ACC that get screwed...just saying

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch (assuming we can't include conference mates in our schadenfreude for purposes of this discussion)

ND will come out on top. College football will probably have to pay them reparations and they will be allowed to change their nickname to something even more offensive.

Reactions: mdh2003
Bottom line on this is the B1G teams avoid paying out $22 million combined for games no one will attend.

ND will come out on top. College football will probably have to pay them reparations and they will be allowed to change their nickname to something even more offensive.
Irishskins!?

So you're saying its not ok for Wisconsin to play ND at Lambeau Field during the year, but it will be ok for them to play in a bowl game. uhuh
we have no idea where the CoVid situation will be in late December... well.. some idea.. but that's months away.. this is about the halfway point from where CoVid became an issue.. could be much worse or much better or about the same by then.

You checked every schedule to confirm this? I haven't but why can't tOSU, PSU, or MSU play Wisconsin?

You checked every schedule to confirm this? I haven't but why can't tOSU, PSU, or MSU play Wisconsin?

The added games I posted earlier in the thread was taken from a post that used:

Schools existing conference schedule both in division and cross over games.

Dates that schools have open now with non conference games eliminated.

Which schools have 4 home conference games and which have 5.

The goal is to add games to the schedule that don't involve moving currently scheduled conference games, create a balanced number of home games for everyone, and don't repeat a matchup that is already scheduled. Giving Rutgers (or any particular team) a winnable opponent is pretty far down the list of priorities when you already have the aforementioned obstacles to overcome in making this schedule work.

CFN has you at Northwestern.

Indiana at Iowa
Maryland at Purdue
Michigan at Illinois
Michigan State at Nebraska
Ohio State at Wisconsin
Penn State at Minnesota
Rutgers at Northwestern

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT