ADVERTISEMENT

101.5 news report on Rutgers search

RocktheRac

Heisman Winner
Sep 10, 2001
While listening to 101.5 this morning I heard a news report that the interest in the Rutgers coaching job is so bad that Rutgers has hired a search firm to find a coach at about $90,000. Also said RU is horrible this year. I know the 2nd part is true but the first comment is not but when the listening community hears this then that is the perception that they get.

When it comes to sports, it is remarkable how bad we are at so many aspects of managing an athletic department… I know things are looking good for many other sports, but this is more of a historical comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s terrible perception is reality and what the masses hear on the radio they will believe.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
While listening to 101.5 this morning I heard a news report that the interest in the Rutgers coaching job is so bad that Rutgers has hired a search firm to find a coach at about $90,000. Also said RU is horrible this year. I know the 2nd part is true but the first comment is not but when the listening community hears this then that is the perception that they get.
Needing a search firm sounds like pure desperation and that Hobbs doesn't know what he is doing.

Does the search commitee also do some background checks on candidates, especially the lesser known guys?

tge interest is good for the Rutgers job. The next coach will likely get 20mm in guaranteed money. (Ash got like 17mm for 3.5years in the end).
There are so so few jobs in coaching in any sport at any level that pays that much. So interest will be there. For Christ sake our next coach will make close to double what Aaron Boone of the Yankees makes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...hanging-the-business-of-college-coaching/amp/

Also, This Early in the season, search firms can be used to contact agents of coaches, our athletic director would be prohibited from contacting coaches directly before the season ends , so with a search firm they have plausible deniability.

For a very experienced athletic director like Barry Alvarez, they can get away without one, but with someone with relatively little experience in hiring football coaches like Hobbs, it is probably worth the money.

Last edited:
Alabama used a search firm when they hired Saban.

Sometimes they are used to help uncover the less obvious choices, other times to help w the vetting. IMO.

Correct the search firm will complete many of the administrative parts of the process including background checks.

If needed they can also provide names of potential candidates that are a good fit for the position but I think Hobbs and the BOG already have their list of targets.

So much to unpack here.
  • 101.5 has pretty much always been anti-RU
  • When Schiano got his contract bump - places like 101.5 and the SL railed against us in terms of being a waste of taxpayer money
  • When we hire our next HC, 101.5 will likely rail against RU based on the contract amount
Even though RU football sucks right now, grow thicker skins and don't feed into the constant negativity.

Once again the media thrives and survives by creating controversy... think of it as their job.

Hobbs knew before hand they’d use this decision against us, it matters not the Alabama’s and Kansas States utilized the same firm, you will never hear that.

My question is why make it public knowledge?

What? That’s RIDICULOUS

mlb managers get paid very little as they are simply executing the plans of the front office. Alex Cora made like 850k in 2018 for the Red Sox. And he won the World Series. Mickey callaway was under a million. Boone was 1.5mil.
MLB managers don’t get paid like they used too as they have less decision making responsibilities.

I was happy that the cost of the firm is 90K.
I expected the firm to get a percentage of the coaches salary (or even 2 months pay)
Most executive firms that i have used in the past get 1 months salary minimum (if the person stays for over a year)

AT 2.5 million a year that comes out to 200K

Why does Hobbs need consultants to literally call a few candidates?

Isnt all for finding candidates. It is also about the vetting process to make sure no skeletons are in their closet. I would be willing to bet most if not all schools use these firms (much like major corporations do when making a major hire....
Ie CEO)

I listened to them for the traffic before I got Sirius and they’re meh. Kind of a whiny group talking about unimportant issues such as this one. $90k is not a concern. Winning games and filling that stadium back up is our only concern right now.

Reactions: Bon1674

The underlined part of the first sentence is opinion, the bolded part of the sentence is fact. Most schools use search firms to find their head coaches. Georgia used a search firm after they fired Mark Richt to "find" Kirby Smart (despite the fact he was a former Bulldog player who had two coaching stints at UGA and was the DC of Alabama). Alabama used a search firm to find Saban. Here is a story from 2016 that discusses if search firms have value to college football.

I don't think those shows actually do any research, they are basically opinion shows. It is design to rile dumb people up, it is not meant to inform anyone with actual facts or news.

I mean, yes there are so extremely misinformed people out there that that think that the football team is funded by tax paper money.
Spoiler alert it is not.

Nothing that the Athletic department does affects Tuition. Tuition only goes up due to lack of state funding. Blame Trenton for that who keeps giving Rutgers and other State Colleges less and less every year.

Hobbs didn't hire a Search Firm because no one wants this job or he couldn't find anyone for the job. That of course is complete and total nonsense. You have to be a special kind of stupid to think that. Hobbs announced that he would be hiring a Search firm within two weeks time at the press conference when he announced that Ash was fired, two weeks later a Search Firm was hired, right on schedule. These type of search firms are use by all of the top football schools, including elite blue bloods like Alabama and Georgia for example.

Once again the media thrives and survives by creating controversy... think of it as their job.

Hobbs knew before hand they’d use this decision against us, it matters not the Alabama’s and Kansas States utilized the same firm, you will never hear that.

My question is why make it public knowledge?

If Hobbs didn't make the hiring of the search firm public, there would continue to be 100's of threads daily complaining that Hobbs is sitting around drinking martini's instead of actually hiring coach.

Why does Hobbs need consultants to literally call a few candidates?

Because you can't just "call a few candidates" especially if they are already employed. it's against the rules. The search firm, however, can reach out to agents, can do background checks and whatever else needs to be done and present viable candidates to Hobbs and whoever else is on the search committee

Reactions: MADHAT1
It's amazing how badly this was botched. The hire was atrocious but that's "water under the bridge". Not firing Ash after last season was moronic and short-sighted. Then (and I was one of the biggest advocates of this), firing Ash a couple of weeks ago suggested to me that we had a plan...but no, it appears we did not. It's the Keystone Cops (or cop) running the athletic department.

This has been repeatedly asked and answered. At this point you're being either willfully ignorant, or symptomatic of a serious cognitive disorder.

I imagine he's trolling at this point, but I'm not sure why he would troll this particular situation.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
This has been repeatedly asked and answered. At this point you're being either willfully ignorant, or symptomatic of a serious cognitive disorder.
Little bit of column A, little bit of column B.
:)

It's amazing how badly this was botched. The hire was atrocious but that's "water under the bridge". Not firing Ash after last season was moronic and short-sighted. Then (and I was one of the biggest advocates of this), firing Ash a couple of weeks ago suggested to me that we had a plan...but no, it appears we did not. It's the Keystone Cops (or cop) running the athletic department.
+1
It's a disaster. No plan whatsoever.

of course there was no plan. did you listen to Hobbs' press conference??? He made the decision while on the plane watching Ash on his laptop hitting play-stop-rewind over and over.
it was a spur of the moment decision. a knee jerk reaction to what he was seeing on the plane and on the field.
Did anyone really think that we were hiring a new coach 2 days later that was going to magically save this team from the beat down Ash gave it over the past 3 years?
Everyone was calling for Ash's head on a platter. Hobbs delivered it. Now he needs time to find someone new...and some of those candidates have current jobs and Hobbs can't talk to them until the end of the year.

A case of careful what you wish for.....

Little bit of column A, little bit of column B.
:)

Is there any real point to trolling this issue? I mean, WE (some of us) know you're being a dick on purpose, but I'm steadfastly against anything - anything at all - that lends credence to the view that Rutgers fans are a bunch of ignorant morons. We already have too many people working hard on that task. I feel like your time would be better spent being part of the solution.

What a search firm does is take some of the heat off the decision makers. If the hire is a bust, they can always shift some blame to the firm.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT