ADVERTISEMENT

101.5 news report on Rutgers search

It's amazing how badly this was botched. The hire was atrocious but that's "water under the bridge". Not firing Ash after last season was moronic and short-sighted. Then (and I was one of the biggest advocates of this), firing Ash a couple of weeks ago suggested to me that we had a plan...but no, it appears we did not. It's the Keystone Cops (or cop) running the athletic department.

What led you to the conclusion that there was no plan?

mlb managers get paid very little as they are simply executing the plans of the front office. Alex Cora made like 850k in 2018 for the Red Sox. And he won the World Series. Mickey callaway was under a million. Boone was 1.5mil.
MLB managers don’t get paid like they used too as they have less decision making responsibilities.
Still ridiculous...the manager of a baseball team still makes a gazillion decisions that have multi million dollar implications...the RU head coach will not have remotely the same impact...heck Saban wont

shows you how f***ed up college sports have become...

Reactions: CERU00
What a search firm does is take some of the heat off the decision makers. If the hire is a bust, they can always shift some blame to the firm.

Not true. The search firm will reach out to agents of HCs to see who is willing to start listening to offers. Hobbs already has a list, but they may also name new people as well. All ADs do. Hobbs will actually hire them. It is still on Hobbs if he hires a HC that doesn't work out. He will get FULL credit if they are successful and they will cost him his job if they are not.

When it comes to sports, it is remarkable how bad we are at so many aspects of managing an athletic department… I know things are looking good for many other sports, but this is more of a historical comment.
goes back to the top and the guy in charge of Athletics.

Still ridiculous...the manager of a baseball team still makes a gazillion decisions that have multi million dollar implications...the RU head coach will not have remotely the same impact...heck Saban wont

shows you how f***ed up college sports have become...

I'd argue that being a College Football HC is more difficult than an MLB Manager as in college football, the HC has the added responsibility of recruiting and filling the roster. That being said, I understand the point you are making, although the downtrending of MLB Manager salaries has more to do with the overall MLB franchise Front Offices use of analytics to drive Rosters and Day to Day lineups than anything else.

Please don’t listen to that station When it comes to rutgers , they have ZERO credibility about anything , using a search firm to find a coach is not that bad and nothing new , Mr Hobbs is still part of the process I mean the the man has a ton of work to do like any other Athletic director has . Negative news love drama so please stop listening to this crap and to be honest $ 90.000 is nothing and if you want to find a good coach then you use resources to help you search for a coach who is interested in the job .

Last edited:
Reactions: LukeRU90
Is there any real point to trolling this issue? I mean, WE (some of us) know you're being a dick on purpose, but I'm steadfastly against anything - anything at all - that lends credence to the view that Rutgers fans are a bunch of ignorant morons. We already have too many people working hard on that task. I feel like your time would be better spent being part of the solution.
I'm embellishing my concerns, but my concerns are legit. Hobbs royally screwed up the football program and nothing I have seen recently gives me any confidence that he will make a good decision on the next HC. I want Schiano or a proven HC. I highly doubt the latter is possible, so I want the former. Sadly, it is likely that we will end up with Ash 2.0. Not that he will be an utter failure, but rather a complete unknown shot in the dark. Maybe we get lucky?

I'm embellishing my concerns, but my concerns are legit. Hobbs royally screwed up the football program and nothing I have seen recently gives me any confidence that he will make a good decision on the next HC. I want Schiano or a proven HC. I highly doubt the latter is possible, so I want the former. Sadly, it is likely that we will end up with Ash 2.0. Not that he will be an utter failure, but rather a complete unknown shot in the dark.

So essentially, you're just purposely being a more eloquent version of ScarletBergen.

I'm embellishing my concerns, but my concerns are legit. Hobbs royally screwed up the football program and nothing I have seen recently gives me any confidence that he will make a good decision on the next HC. I want Schiano or a proven HC. I highly doubt the latter is possible, so I want the former. Sadly, it is likely that we will end up with Ash 2.0. Not that he will be an utter failure, but rather a complete unknown shot in the dark. Maybe we get lucky?

Take comfort in the fact that when Hobbs shoots for the moon by hiring and up and coming head coach, that hire will not have a long contract because the school was just burned so badly. SO in 3 years, that hire will either work out and be awesome like Pikiell, or that hire and Hobbs will both get canned, at which point the BOG will undoubtedly hire Greg.

Take comfort in the fact that when Hobbs shoots for the moon by hiring and up and coming head coach, that hire will not have a long contract because the school was just burned so badly. SO in 3 years, that hire will either work out and be awesome like Pikiell, or that hire and Hobbs will both get canned, at which point the BOG will undoubtedly hire Greg.
If Hobbs doesn't hire or consider Schiano due to his own personal insecurities and ego, Hobbs should be fired on the spot. This hire is not what is best for Hobbs, but what is best for the football program, which may be the worst in P5 history. Seriously, take a step back and think about it. Our level of bad is breathtaking.

Once again we have another NJ media outlet twisting a RU story into a negative one. I think hiring a search firm is the responsible thing to do. Let them do the digging and uncover any dirt about a potential hire before a contract is signed.

When making a multi million dollar a year hire why wouldn’t you get a search firm. Wouldn’t it be extremely irresponsible and reckless to make a $4mil a year hire without doing due diligence. And $90,000 is pennies compared to the head coaches salary.

Why does Hobbs need consultants to literally call a few candidates?
He's an attorney by training, so he's covering the bases on a few fronts. He's taken a beating the last couple of years and doesn't want a repeat of that, so he hires a search firm. If this coach doesn't work out, it won't be for lack of due diligence, or at least the appearance of it. There is also a requirement that all state jobs be announced and in theory be open to all qualified candidates. Even though there is probably a preferred coach or two that he already has in mind, hiring a search firm satisfies the appearance of an open search. The search committee will also do background checks on the candidates Hobbs may already be interested in, as well as add a few names for Hobbs to consider. Net-net is he covers his actual and aesthetic bases for hiring the next coach so his hair can stop turning grey.

While listening to 101.5 this morning I heard a news report that the interest in the Rutgers coaching job is so bad that Rutgers has hired a search firm to find a coach at about $90,000. Also said RU is horrible this year. I know the 2nd part is true but the first comment is not but when the listening community hears this then that is the perception that they get.

Ah, my head isn't the only thing that's spinning. [sick]

While listening to 101.5 this morning I heard a news report that the interest in the Rutgers coaching job is so bad that Rutgers has hired a search firm to find a coach at about $90,000. Also said RU is horrible this year. I know the 2nd part is true but the first comment is not but when the listening community hears this then that is the perception that they get.
Known anti-RU outlet trying to stir up some controversy? Shocking.
Using a search committee is standard stuff. It is no reflection of candidate pool.
RU fans listening to this drivel when plenty of better information is available is unfathomable.
But the bottom line is Hobbs is not going to air out the candidates in public forums for folks to offer opinions and reactions.

NINE million people without a sports radio station of our own is crazy. There is a short signal AM station called The Jersey but hardly anyone can get it. We need a very strong FM station with a few others on the edges of the state from Cape May to Sussex counties to talk about New Jersey sports and cover the Philly and New York teams that some are fans of, plus national sports stories. No reason people in New Jersey should have to listen to a sleepy boring guy who can’t even pronounce Rutgers or Philly stations who don’t even know they have about 150,000 Rutgers grads in their listening area.

Reactions: czxqa
Of course the most interesting part of the interaction with the search firm would be to know what kind of financial parameters they have been given for discussion with reps of potential HC candidates.

Once again the media thrives and survives by creating controversy... think of it as their job.

Hobbs knew before hand they’d use this decision against us, it matters not the Alabama’s and Kansas States utilized the same firm, you will never hear that.

My question is why make it public knowledge?
It's public dollars so it would be made public anyway. Easier to be transparent instead of having it blown out of proportion later like it was something the AD was trying to hide. The whole thing is ridiculous as this is common practice for coaching searches at this level and searches for high-level executives.

A fair amount of people still listen to it, but their whole schtick is being the populist watchdog for taxpayers, so it's natural that they are going to kill athletics. They really started becoming popular when they were beating the drum for Hands Across New Jersey, which opposed Gov. Florio's tax increases.

If Hobbs doesn't hire or consider Schiano due to his own personal insecurities and ego, Hobbs should be fired on the spot. This hire is not what is best for Hobbs, but what is best for the football program, which may be the worst in P5 history. Seriously, take a step back and think about it. Our level of bad is breathtaking.

Perhaps, but the issue there is if Schiano is not hired, you will never know the reason why. So anyoen who chooses to blame Schiano or Hobbs in that scenario is just showing bias.

It's public dollars so it would be made public anyway. Easier to be transparent instead of having it blown out of proportion later like it was something the AD was trying to hide. The whole thing is ridiculous as this is common practice for coaching searches at this level and searches for high-level executives.

except it is NOT public dollars, it is a public university. No tax money is used for sports. Heck, reality check only a mere 20% of Rutgers budget comes from Trenton. The other 80% does not.

The university receives revenue from the following public and private sources:
  • 29 percent: Tuition and fees
  • 20 percent: State appropriations and state-paid fringe benefits
  • 20 percent: Patient care services
  • 13 percent: Sponsored research (grants and contracts)
  • 7 percent: Auxiliary enterprise
  • 5 percent: Federal and state student aid
  • 2 percent: Gifts and endowments
  • 4 percent: Other
https://www.rutgers.edu/about/budget-facts

except it is NOT public dollars, it is a public university. No tax money is used for sports. Heck, reality check only a mere 20% of Rutgers budget comes from Trenton. The other 80% does not.

The university receives revenue from the following public and private sources:
  • 29 percent: Tuition and fees
  • 20 percent: State appropriations and state-paid fringe benefits
  • 20 percent: Patient care services
  • 13 percent: Sponsored research (grants and contracts)
  • 7 percent: Auxiliary enterprise
  • 5 percent: Federal and state student aid
  • 2 percent: Gifts and endowments
  • 4 percent: Other
https://www.rutgers.edu/about/budget-facts

Scourge, my point is that since Rutgers is a public university, they would still need to deal with an OPRA request if someone felt we had something to hide. Since this is standard practice, why be shady about it? Announcing it was the right thing to do. 101.5 is being idiotic about this.

He's an attorney by training, so he's covering the bases on a few fronts. He's taken a beating the last couple of years and doesn't want a repeat of that, so he hires a search firm. If this coach doesn't work out, it won't be for lack of due diligence, or at least the appearance of it. There is also a requirement that all state jobs be announced and in theory be open to all qualified candidates. Even though there is probably a preferred coach or two that he already has in mind, hiring a search firm satisfies the appearance of an open search. The search committee will also do background checks on the candidates Hobbs may already be interested in, as well as add a few names for Hobbs to consider. Net-net is he covers his actual and aesthetic bases for hiring the next coach so his hair can stop turning grey.

Hopefully they'll take the recommendation(s) of the search firm unlike what occurred when Julie Hermann was hired.

Scourge, my point is that since Rutgers is a public university, they would still need to deal with an OPRA request if someone felt we had something to hide. Since this is standard practice, why be shady about it? Announcing it was the right thing to do. 101.5 is being idiotic about this.

True!

What Rutgers needs is a long term plan to get the football program into a winning program most of the time. We are in arguably the 3rd richest football talent state in the country only behind Texas and Florida. In my opinion we NJ is different from the rest of the country in that Rutgers is in the highest number of professional sports within 50 miles of campus, is within two of the largest media markets(NYC and Philadelphia) within 50 miles of campus. In my opinion we need to have coaches who are from the immediate area and build a pipeline of not only coaches who want to get into the college level but build a pipeline of HS talent football players to Rutgers. It can be done but we need to have consistency for a long period of time. Hobbs for as long as he is AD is going to have to have a list of HC and assistants from the NJ...NY Metro area that we can bring in and build relationships with EVERY High School football program in NJ. This needs to be a priority and be consistent. Rutgers has been half assing it for decades. If they step up the monetary rewards will come to the university.

California, Georgia and a few other states would disagree with your assertion.

Yep!

Actual data:

The picture changes little year to year. The biggest states tend to have the most elite players. But there are variations in every cycle. Here’s how the 382 blue-chip recruits (rated four or five stars on the 247Sports Composite) are distributed in 2019.

State 2019 blue-chips National share
California 48 12.6%
Texas 48 12.6%
Florida 45 11.8%
Georgia 40 10.5%
Mississippi 16 4.2%
Louisiana 15 3.9%
North Carolina 15 3.9%
Alabama 14 3.7%
Ohio 13 3.4%
Tennessee 12 3.1%
Virginia 11 2.9%
Michigan 9 2.4%
Kentucky 8 2.1%
Maryland 8 2.1%
New Jersey 8 2.1%

Full list here: https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...18/16780636/best-recruits-2019-state-rankings

So no winning NJ is not good enuff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT