ADVERTISEMENT

101.5 news report on Rutgers search

Unfortunately RU as a whole does a poor job in getting out or correct information put out in the media, whether print or radio. Its just a public relations nightmare...so these narrative exist and while everyone can say dont listen, unfortunately 101.5's opinion is common throughout the state....when talking to people about RU football, ive really had quite a few question why are they playing at this level, too tough for them..its hard to make an argument countering them when we will be 2-22 the past two seasons after sweeping out the former AD and coach bringing in new ones who have deciminated the stadium attendance and football program..the program is worse than that day after Maryland loss in 2015

Who the he'll listens to 101.5 during the week??
+1

Big Joe Henry!

And why does it always sound like they’re in a tunnel on that station? Is that done on purpose? Very odd.

But seriously, put “Rutgers” in the subject line in any form of media and you’re going to get your clicks. It is what it is.

One day we’re going to be good in Football, MBB and maybe cure a disease or two. It will be interesting to see how that type of news is covered.

+1

Big Joe Henry!

And why does it always sound like they’re in a tunnel on that station? Is that done on purpose? Very odd.

But seriously, put “Rutgers” in the subject line in any form of media and you’re going to get your clicks. It is what it is.

One day we’re going to be good in Football, MBB and maybe cure a disease or two. It will be interesting to see how that type of news is covered.
I'm a punk rock, southern rock fan but weekends its Big Joe, his bad jokes and great 80s- 90s music

It's amazing how badly this was botched. The hire was atrocious but that's "water under the bridge". Not firing Ash after last season was moronic and short-sighted. Then (and I was one of the biggest advocates of this), firing Ash a couple of weeks ago suggested to me that we had a plan...but no, it appears we did not. It's the Keystone Cops (or cop) running the athletic department.
Kinda agree here. I mean if you are that bad in year
of course there was no plan. did you listen to Hobbs' press conference??? He made the decision while on the plane watching Ash on his laptop hitting play-stop-rewind over and over.
it was a spur of the moment decision. a knee jerk reaction to what he was seeing on the plane and on the field.
Did anyone really think that we were hiring a new coach 2 days later that was going to magically save this team from the beat down Ash gave it over the past 3 years?
Everyone was calling for Ash's head on a platter. Hobbs delivered it. Now he needs time to find someone new...and some of those candidates have current jobs and Hobbs can't talk to them until the end of the year.

A case of careful what you wish for.....
To be fair, we asked for it after last season. As far as giving another year to show he is fair to his hires....any coach who performs and recruits as poorly as Ash did should not expect to be given a 4th year.

Yep!

Actual data:

The picture changes little year to year. The biggest states tend to have the most elite players. But there are variations in every cycle. Here’s how the 382 blue-chip recruits (rated four or five stars on the 247Sports Composite) are distributed in 2019.

State 2019 blue-chips National share
California 48 12.6%
Texas 48 12.6%
Florida 45 11.8%
Georgia 40 10.5%
Mississippi 16 4.2%
Louisiana 15 3.9%
North Carolina 15 3.9%
Alabama 14 3.7%
Ohio 13 3.4%
Tennessee 12 3.1%
Virginia 11 2.9%
Michigan 9 2.4%
Kentucky 8 2.1%
Maryland 8 2.1%
New Jersey 8 2.1%

Full list here: https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...18/16780636/best-recruits-2019-state-rankings

So no winning NJ is not good enuff.

I think NJ was way higher on that list a couple decades back, certainly higher than MD and KY. A lot of people are living in the past regarding NJ’s HS talent as this list bears out. I’m willing to bet the CTE issue has a lot to do with the decline. Down south they don’t care as much

While listening to 101.5 this morning I heard a news report that the interest in the Rutgers coaching job is so bad that Rutgers has hired a search firm to find a coach at about $90,000. Also said RU is horrible this year. I know the 2nd part is true but the first comment is not but when the listening community hears this then that is the perception that they get.
The first part is 101.5's schtick. That's what they do all day Monday to Friday. When it was reported that Flood talked to a professor about a player's grade, some morning show yahoo was screaming that the football program needed to be disbanded. A sizable amount of the contempt for RU athletics in general and RU football in particular comes from 101.5, and many NJ residents buy the manure they're dropping.

Rutgers Television and R Vision need to be on every cable company in the state. Gov Murphy make it so !

It is particularly ironic that the day that this radio station reports that hardly anyone wants the Rutgers job is the same day that other reports (Thamel) state that Rutgers will pay up to $4 million for a top coach this year and that there could be much interest. Every day, it seems, all these insider reports contradict each other.

Last edited:
It is particularly ironic that the day that this radio station reports that hardly anyone wants the Rutgers job is the same day that other reports (Thamel) state that Rutgers will pay up to $4 million for a top coach this year and that there could be much interest. Every day, it seems, all these insider reports contradict each other.
I wouldn't consider 101.5 to be an insider. They and the rest of the NJ media just fabricate stories to rile people up. Look at the comments section of any facebook post from 101.5, NJ.com, or News 12 about Rutgers, you'll see an endless army of ignorant people ranting about Snooki giving a graduation speech, taxpayer money or tuition being spent on the football team, how much of a mistake it was to join the Big Ten, illegal immigrants getting full rides while their son/daughter got denied financial aid, etc. People don't care enough to fact check anything, so they just go ahead and believe all this bullshit. I'm constantly refuting such misinformation with my coworkers and even one of my roommates who is a Rutgers student.

Last edited:
I wouldn't consider 101.5 to be an insider. They and the rest of the NJ media just fabricate stories to rile people up. Look at the comments section of any facebook post from 101.5, NJ.com, or News 12 about Rutgers, you'll see an endless army of ignorant people ranting about Snooki giving a graduation speech, taxpayer money or tuition being spent on the football team, how much of a mistake it was to join the Big Ten, illegal immigrants getting full rides while their son/daughter got denied financial aid, etc. People don't care enough to fact check anything, so they just go ahead and believe all this bullshit. I'm constantly refuting such misinformation with my own coworkers and even one of my roommates who is a Rutgers student.

In other words, they are basically these guys:

Reactions: NotInRHouse
did not go through all the posts here, however,

RU has hired search comm for other head coaching positions before, it seems pretty standard for us.....

I don't think it is a reflection of how difficult it is for RU to get a coach, in particular

if you want to criticize it, you could say that Hobbs does not want to take the ultimate blame if the next coach is a dud, again.....

or, on the other hand, the search committee might come up with an interesting candidate that would not have surfaced without.....

I tend to go with spreading future blame.

RU has hired search comm for other head coaching positions before, it seems pretty standard for us.....

I don't think it is a reflection of how difficult it is for RU to get a coach, in particular

if you want to criticize it, you could say that Hobbs does not want to take the ultimate blame if the next coach is a dud, again.....

or, on the other hand, the search committee might come up with an interesting candidate that would not have surfaced without.....

ISo it looks like you don't understand what a Search Firm actually does, you should go through the replies here and other threads.

Nothing to do with spreading future blame, not sure how that would even work. Search Firms are just middle men..

ISo it looks like you don't understand what a Search Firm actually does, you should go through the replies here and other threads.

Nothing to do with spreading future blame, not sure how that would even work. Search Firms are just middle men..

I think I understand what a search firm does, finding, screening interest, a go between, etc, just a snarky post in regards to blame

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarlet_Scourge

I've read this possible explanation a couple times. But if the next coach is a dud, Hobbs is a goner. There will be no deflection of blame. Especially to some no name search firm.

Reactions: Wolv RU and wheezer
Rutgers needs to create our own media so New Jerseyans do not have to endure out of state TV and radio stations. Still have no idea how Montclair State ended up with New Jersey Network instead of the largest state university in N.J. Also, check out Florida Athletics website—www.floridagators.com. They run articles that seem like something you would see in a newspaper more than generic fill in the blank stuff. I believe that they use former newspaper writers. If we had something like that and promoted scarlet knights.com, less people would be going to the Star-Liar for their sports coverage.

What a search firm does is take some of the heat off the decision makers. If the hire is a bust, they can always shift some blame to the firm.

No it doesn't. If they did that people would only laugh at them more for hiring the wrong candidate and Wrong search firm!

Is the search firm owned by Hobbs' agent?
(that's a joke, not an accusation.. Ash had the same agent as Hobbs)

Wan't Julie Herman the result of a "search firm." How did that vetting work out? Many are entirely correct in being highly skeptical of committees/consultants/firms.

Wan't Julie Herman the result of a "search firm." How did that vetting work out? Many are entirely correct in being highly skeptical of committees/consultants/firms.
You must know this story, right? I hope I get it right.. she was identified as a candidate but had been eliminated until a board member with specific political/gender/sexual orientation leanings highly suggested that she be hired.

So a search firm recommendations and hiring evaluation process can be tossed aside at the last moment if the right people push hard enough. Then people can just give in and hope for the best.. afterall.. its only athletics.

ADVERTISEMENT