ADVERTISEMENT

101.5 ripping the new contract to shreds

I heard a quick blurb. Is the 10's of thousands of dollars for wardrobe in his contract? Must have missed it, I mean thats a lot of scarlet polos.

The hope is schiano revitalizes the program, thus revitalizing the school, bringing in more applicants, and more revenue with ticket sales, merchandise, and bowl appearances, etc.

Reactions: RU1977
It’s 100% opposing viewpoint / stoke controversy radio...it’s their job.

Are you personally aware of our know of any sport fan in NJ who’s upset about it?

Last edited:
Reactions: redking
The problem is that there is no context provided (his record vs what he inherited, the athletic dept will be self- funded soon with the conference share increasing, his salary compared to other B1G coaches, private funding covers the jet, etc.). I don't mind if someone thinks that Athletics is not worth their cost to the university, but be fair and tell the whole story.

It pisses me off that so many people are so misinformed. So many callers are pissed that this is happening. I love that this is happening can’t wait for the press conference.
They aren't misinformed but rather they aren't interested in college athletics that cost lots of money to successfully compete.Its simply a different mindset .

Reactions: NotInRHouse
It pisses me off that so many people are so misinformed. So many callers are pissed that this is happening. I love that this is happening can’t wait for the press conference.

Here’s the financial take

At worst, Rutgers Athletics before the full B1G draw will have red ink of $40 million for all Athletics. It’ll likely be better than this, but let’s use worst case.

The State of NJ pays 22% of Rutgers budget

The State share of a “worst case loss” is $9 million per year.

There’s 9 million people in NJ. That equates to $1 per person per year.

STFU & Go find a real issue to bitch about.

Let’s have some NJ pride for a change.

I heard a quick blurb. Is the 10's of thousands of dollars for wardrobe in his contract? Must have missed it, I mean thats a lot of scarlet polos.

The hope is schiano revitalizes the program, thus revitalizing the school, bringing in more applicants, and more revenue with ticket sales, merchandise, and bowl appearances, etc.
It’s up to $5k annually

They aren't misinformed but rather they aren't interested in college athletics that cost lots of money to successfully compete.Its simply a different mindset .
His entire point is we’re masquerading as a worthy B1G TEN member....he is adamant we do not belong.
He is operating under the assumption Greg will fail, and sites his failure as an NFL coach as a reason why.

Call him and argue based on his argument.
I’ve heard no-one call in and talk about full share money and research grants

Two thoughts.

If this was in the contract I am sure it would have been brought out already

If it is in the contract, it looks bad because he is getting four million now. Buy on your own dime You don’t need this

Reactions: goru1869
Two thoughts.

If this was in the contract I am sure it would have been brought out already

If it is in the contract, it looks bad because he is getting four million now. Buy on your own dime You don’t need this
Private plane is donated, he’s been on that all morning as tax payer expense.,...they will also target a donor to subsidize his clothing benefit, if he truly has one

His entire point is we’re masquerading as a worthy B1G TEN member....he is adamant we do not belong.
He is operating under the assumption Greg will fail, and sites his failure as an NFL coach as a reason why.

There's a reason talk radio stations have call screeners. They don't let the intelligent opposition through. Would make the host look bad when they get ripped to shreds.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
is Jim Gearhart still the am guy? He is very conservative and likes to expose the state overspending.

This also represents the NJ culture where most residents have no connection to Rutgers or any of the state schools. We have a lot of out of state transplants and many who are native NJ folks may be sending their kids out of state or to private colleges.

There are also folks who's kids didn't get into Rutgers and have a chip on their shoulder about Rutgers.

Private plane is donated, he’s been on that all morning as tax payer expense.,...they will also target a donor to subsidize his clothing benefit, if he truly has one
---
yes, we heard about the plane, this clothing thing was the first I heard..... I agree this sounds like something a donor would take care of, but, just like the plane thing, it makes Greg appear bad on talk radio when they don't mention it is paid through donors.

Best thing is to turn off and contact them about listening a long time and you are boycotting

Schiano will likely always be a polarizing figure, he was the first time around as well. What will be considered as success for some, like a lot of people on this board, 6-8 wins a year and minor bowls, will be considered a failure by many outsiders/casual sports fans who would only classify success if he is challenging OSU, Michigan, and PSU each year for the division title. It is a never ending argument that would only be ended if he fails to reach bowl games or wins the division, both results unlikely.

---
yes, we heard about the plane, this clothing thing was the first I heard..... I agree this sounds like something a donor would take care of, but, just like the plane thing, it makes Greg appear bad on talk radio when they don't mention it is paid through donors.
The counter on talk radio is that the donor should just give to the school to help the endowment and lower tuition. The host won't mention that the donation would never come to Rutgers if not for the football coach being Schiano.

Spadea is a knucklehead who just likes to get a rise out of people. it’s not use arguing because they can just cut you off and get in the last word.

101.5 is unlistenable these days because of so many long commercial breaks. I know they have to make money but it’s time for them to change with the times and get more creative.

---
It is right there in the "Contract Details" thread that was posted yesterday.

$5000 annually for apparel from the school's contract provider - Adidas

It isn't costing the taxpayers anything.

Unless Adidas signs a deal with Greg to give him the apparel, the $5k of product has to be paid for from someone. It is actually marketing though since greg wearing a baseball cap, golf shirt, sweater, etc... leads to fans wanting to buy the same products for $30, $50, or even $100.

And... for practice coaching uniforms the coaches / Greg should all be provided with Rutgers adidas t shirts, golf shirts, wind breakers, sweatshirts. It needs to be in the athletic dept budget.

Unless Adidas signs a deal with Greg to give him the apparel, the $5k of product has to be paid for from someone. It is actually marketing though since greg wearing a baseball cap, golf shirt, sweater, etc... leads to fans wanting to buy the same products for $30, $50, or even $100.
GS would be paid to wear their stuff before we pay them...I guarantee you that

And... for practice coaching uniforms the coaches / Greg should all be provided with Rutgers adidas t shirts, golf shirts, wind breakers, sweatshirts. It needs to be in the athletic dept budget.

And maybe one day some of that gear will be as valuable as my Kyle Flood's Red Shirt.

Reactions: Plum Street

I didn't read it, maybe I will..... the Bergen record has a lot of the provisions in today's paper.
The paper did not seem to mention that the plane, country club dues, seating at the stadium for his group, is Paid for by Greg or donors

The one thing I can tell you is between that radio station, nj.com etc, a lot of the public will not get the real story, only the bad stuff.

Last edited:
And maybe one day some of that gear will be as valuable as my Kyle Flood's Red Shirt.
Collectors item!
Sat in row 37 in the United configuration of 737/800
Worst flight of my career, stewer gave me fresh coffee bag to use as oxygen mask because of severe toxic toilet fumes

Spadea is a knucklehead who just likes to get a rise out of people. it’s not use arguing because they can just cut you off and get in the last word.

101.5 is unlistenable these days because of so many long commercial breaks. I know they have to make money but it’s time for them to change with the times and get more creative.

Stop listening to those right wing 101.5 FM idiots long ago.

Most coaches get a clothing allowance. Normally that a deal made with the apparel company on the side. I’ve seen others get around $5000 a year. And I havent seen a P5 coach who doesn’t get a vehicle allowance OR a car donated by a local dealership in exchange for some personal appearances.

Last edited:
To be fair, all radio is 50% commercials.

And it's all garbage. Outrageously overpriced pillows, "miracle" vegetable vitamins, naming stars after people, scam tax resolution services, etc, etc. It's amazing these hosts can do that copy with straight face.

The best part about it is all their crumyi g snd screaming will never change a damn thing. Schiano is here and Rutgers finally stepped up and answered the call on competing in athletics

ADVERTISEMENT