ADVERTISEMENT

101.5 ripping the new contract to shreds

I prefer Waze and my Spotify daily playlist to 101.5.

The closest thing I heard to Schiano’s contract on my drive in was Biggie singing “F the state pen, F hoes at Penn State”

I'm sure the next move it to go to campus corner and interview the librarian and see what his/her opinion is

that station is the reason satellite radio exist, and has over 30 million subscribers

Reactions: Abro1975
That radio station's purpose is to stoke outrage. If people aren't outraged about something, then they aren't going to listen to that station.
If I were prone to outrage, I'd be outraged that they're pretending to be outraged in order to stoke outrage among the unwashed masses (who are outraged that I refer to them as unwashed when they're really just uninformed and shower frequently).

and consider who the listener is on 101.5

- People who are not using streaming (Pandora / Spotify)
- People who are not listening to an MP3 playlist
- People who don't like music in the car
- People who listen to terrestrial radio
- People who probably also listen to AM radio
- People who want talk radio about NJ

To me it sounds like a less progressive crowd while the Schiano contract is more about progress and moving forward as a University in the B10.

To me it sounds like a less progressive crowd while the Schiano contract is more about progress and moving forward as a University in the B10.

so..... angry senior citizens
Slideshow_angry-seniors.png

Reactions: Scarlet_Scourge
so..... angry senior citizens
Slideshow_angry-seniors.png
that is one group

- you also have the anti-Rutgers crowd
- private school crowd
- and libertarian / small govt crowd

- Anti Rutgers crowd is because they went to schools not named Rutgers or didn't get into Rutgers. They don't want tax dollars going to Rutgers
- Private school crowd is because they send their kids to private colleges and don't want tax money going to public colleges
- small govt crowd are fans that the school should not need tax dollars as a bail out. If the finances don't work internally then don't spend the money. They also believe decisions have consequences so a poor coaching hire that costs you millions to buy out should not be the responsibility of the greater university or tax payers.

is Jim Gearhart still the am guy? He is very conservative and likes to expose the state overspending.

This also represents the NJ culture where most residents have no connection to Rutgers or any of the state schools. We have a lot of out of state transplants and many who are native NJ folks may be sending their kids out of state or to private colleges.

There are also folks who's kids didn't get into Rutgers and have a chip on their shoulder about Rutgers.
anyone listening to that station is already a lost cause.

anyone listening to that station is already a lost cause.
I used to listen years ago for traffic reports. The morning show was big on going after the NJ pols who were involved with side deals and pay to play.

Any time an urban school district had issues after the state poured money into it they would say "we told you so" for the state wasting money in a school district that is failing.

That is the culture of NJ 101.5 and the listeners.

I hop into any of my cars and Spotify immediately starts streaming from my phone through the car's audio system. Usually just shuffling through my ever-growing library of songs, but sometimes on a particular playlist.

That was even the first thing I did when I got a loaner car from the dealership recently. Paired my phone w/the loaner's entertainment system so I could stream from Spotify.

Being a music lover, I haven't listened to a radio (or satellite "radio") in over a decade. There's just no point.

NJ 101.5 listeners probably still own transistor radios and don't upgrade cell phones for 5 or more years. They still probably have a flip phone.

that is one group

- you also have the anti-Rutgers crowd
- private school crowd
- and libertarian / small govt crowd

- Anti Rutgers crowd is because they went to schools not named Rutgers or didn't get into Rutgers. They don't want tax dollars going to Rutgers
- Private school crowd is because they send their kids to private colleges and don't want tax money going to public colleges
- small govt crowd are fans that the school should not need tax dollars as a bail out. If the finances don't work internally then don't spend the money. They also believe decisions have consequences so a poor coaching hire that costs you millions to buy out should not be the responsibility of the greater university or tax payers.
Eff 'em all. No lube.

I’d rather shave my nuts with a rusty cheese grater than listen to 101.5...WHY would you do that to yourself??
Now that's some creative writing right there. [roll]

This is what was missing under HCCA. Creativity on the football forum.

We're baaaaaack! :WideSmile:

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Stopped listening when the morning guy was giving tax regarding Trumps tax plan and had no idea what he was talking about.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
There's a point where you have to just stop caring about outlets like NJ 101.5. There is segment of the population in this state that just does not support Rutgers and will always criticize the university without finding much positive to say about anything it accomplishes, e.g. - never referencing the cancer research consortium with other B1G institutions.

The bottom line is that we're in the B1G, it was the right move for RU then and in the future for athletics and academics. RU is going to make the investment to be competitive in athletics in this league and that's just the way it's going to be regardless of their complaints.

There's a point where you have to just stop caring about outlets like NJ 101.5. There is segment of the population in this state that just does not support Rutgers and will always criticize the university without finding much positive to say about anything it accomplishes, e.g. - never referencing the cancer research consortium with other B1G institutions.

The bottom line is that we're in the B1G, it was the right move for RU then and in the future for athletics and academics. RU is going to make the investment to be competitive in athletics in this league and that's just the way it's going to be regardless of their complaints.
these may be the same folks who believe cancer research should not be a University thing and be done by for profit organizations.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
As sure as the sun will rise in the East and set in the West, NJ 101.5 will stoke outrage based on ignorance. They're like a retarded computer.

Reactions: RUChoppin
And it's all garbage. Outrageously overpriced pillows, "miracle" vegetable vitamins, naming stars after people, scam tax resolution services, etc, etc. It's amazing these hosts can do that copy with straight face.
It's amazing that they can do that copy and you never see the advertisers' lips move.

is Jim Gearhart still the am guy? He is very conservative and likes to expose the state overspending.

This also represents the NJ culture where most residents have no connection to Rutgers or any of the state schools. We have a lot of out of state transplants and many who are native NJ folks may be sending their kids out of state or to private colleges.

There are also folks who's kids didn't get into Rutgers and have a chip on their shoulder about Rutgers.
No Jim has been retired for a couple of years now. Bill Spadea is now morning guy

I prefer Waze and my Spotify daily playlist to 101.5.

The closest thing I heard to Schiano’s contract on my drive in was Biggie singing “F the state pen, F hoes at Penn State”
I thought that was Puff Daddy?

all was to expected and more--nj.com will be writing about the same stuff-- as a matter of fact one of their current articles was a quick note about the Gov not responding about state funding

Reactions: JRZEER
Unless Adidas signs a deal with Greg to give him the apparel, the $5k of product has to be paid for from someone.
That's not how apparel deals work. They give the merchandise to Rutgers so it is seen. They want Schiano head to toe in Adidas apparel. If they made suits they'd give him 50. Rutgers is not paying Adidas for anything. It was a six year deal worth well north of $10 mil. in cash and apparel. Which means they pay us money on top of the apparel they give Rutgers.

Everyone in NJ who is complaining about Rutgers, Rutgers being in the Big 10, and all the other stuff they're complaining about should stop being Penn State, Notre Dame, Michigan fans, stop supporting the Giants and Jets, stop voting for the same crooked politicians who steal everyone blind, and stop supporting all of these CEOs that makes $2 Billion a year.

Reactions: robcac26
If we spent $20M to make $22M per year (a 10% return)

the people at 101.5 would cry that we spent $20M.

Some people need to just understand basic business and finance.

This is an investment into a revenue generating asset. It's not a liability.

This is also why I listen to podcasts and apple music now instead of radio.

Hopefully the three stooges at NJ.com don’t start with their unsubstantiated articles just to get clicks.

Reactions: JRZEER
Collectors item!
Sat in row 37 in the United configuration of 737/800
Worst flight of my career, stewer gave me fresh coffee bag to use as oxygen mask because of severe toxic toilet fumes
Hah had that happen once. Middle seat back row no recline. I looked so uncomfortable the flight attendants gave me free drinks.

I've already heard that "the state pays 25% of everything for Rutgers, including the coaches salary. It's all a waste of money." As was mentioned above, listen for the types of commercials and you see who the target audience is. Senior citizens on fixed/limited income who don't want to pay for anything which doesn't directly benefit them, maybe even if it does. Same audience who watches Fox News in the middle of the day. Its a promotion of negativity about what you either don't have, are at risk of losing or what's preventing you from having more.

Reactions: OTBOTOR
Despite their negative spin, people tend to respect those who make a lot of money for the simple fact that they are successful. The more they talk about is, the more people will be paying attention, especially if down the road we begin to win.

ADVERTISEMENT