ADVERTISEMENT

#11 UNC game canceled this Saturday due to CV-19

...and unlike the B1G they have wiggle room built in...🤞

Well that sucks. Now that everyone is trying to play I want to see more of these games go off without a hiccup than not because that would mean more progress against this virus. This just may be the toughest sport to pull off.

Reactions: Knightmoves
If programs are willing to cancel games if there is concern , that does show making sure its safe to play is working and going by that rule is the way to having a football season this year.
The problem would have been putting the games above making sure everyone involved in the games were safe.
Nothing wrong with canceling games because of virus scare , wrong if played games that should have been canceled because of health concerns

The question is whether this game would be cancelled if it was a conference game. I doubt it.

Great point. Hoping the B1G schedule is played, but outliers like Jerome Holloway have already said that RU may opt out of games if Covid flares up in NJ or any B1G state.

Sounds like Holloway can end RU’s season almost anytime he wants.

At least RU has agreed to play, for now. My expectations for an 8 game season are not optimistic.

Reactions: Section124
Great point. Hoping the B1G schedule is played, but outliers like Jerome Holloway have already said that RU may opt out of games if Covid flares up in NJ or any B1G state.

Sounds like Holloway can end RU’s season almost anytime he wants.

At least RU has agreed to play, for now. My expectations for an 8 game season are not optimistic.
If it flares up before a game, would you cancel and reschedule, or play it and hope for the best.
That's the hard choice B1G Presidents have to make.

But with around a month to go before start of season we can only hope things like this will be history: Just a day after the return of Big Ten football was confirmed, the department noted that 42 players and staff from the Badger football team have tested positive for COVID-19,

That's a great point. If the tests arent accurate, there could actually be more positive results than what is reported.
But there could be false positives as well. I believe it was DJL on the Yankees that said he tested positive one day, negative the next, positive, negative..... With the amount of testing I assume there will be issues with the results at times.

Reactions: Caliknight
I hope that RU opts out of the OSU game- just to f them out of the minimum number of games they need to get to the playoffs.

Hobbs can lean over to OSU’s AD the next time he sees him and whispers “that was for giving us Ash”.

yes, I think RU should opt out of every game except Illinois

Reactions: Plum Street
You really got to wonder how accurate these tests have been.
They are more likely to have false negatives than false positives.

The issue is sensitivity- the tests may not be sensitive enough to catch the CV molecules.

The issue is not specificity- the test is looking for very specific molecules. It won't come back positive for CV if you actually have the Flu.

According to my wife, these tests are 98% accurate when they have a positive result.

Reactions: Greg2020
I hope that RU opts out of the OSU game- just to f them out of the minimum number of games they need to get to the playoffs.

Hobbs can lean over to OSU’s AD the next time he sees him and whispers “that was for giving us Ash”.
Personally, pulling for Big Ten teams to make the playoffs. Of course, Rutgers in my lifetime. If not, the Big Ten’s best team.

Reactions: Morrischiano

Right. Then the next 4 years they leave their starters in all game and beat us by 100.

Reactions: Caliknight
That's a great point. If the tests arent accurate, there could actually be more positive results than what is reported.
Doubtful.
500 cases using the turbo-powered US tests = 50 cases in other countries.

The PCR test amplifies genetic matter from the virus in cycles; the fewer cycles required, the greater the amount of virus, or viral load, in the sample. The greater the viral load, the more likely the patient is to be contagious.

This number of amplification cycles needed to find the virus, called the cycle threshold, is never included in the results sent to doctors and coronavirus patients, although it could tell them how infectious the patients are.

In three sets of testing data that include cycle thresholds, compiled by officials in Massachusetts, New York and Nevada, up to 90 percent of people testing positive carried barely any virus, a review by The Times found.

On Thursday, the United States recorded 45,604 new coronavirus cases, according to a database maintained by The Times. If the rates of contagiousness in Massachusetts and New York were to apply nationwide, then perhaps only 4,500 of those people may actually need to isolate and submit to contact tracing.

One solution would be to adjust the cycle threshold used now to decide that a patient is infected. Most tests set the limit at 40, a few at 37. This means that you are positive for the coronavirus if the test process required up to 40 cycles, or 37, to detect the virus.

Tests with thresholds so high may detect not just live virus but also genetic fragments, leftovers from infection that pose no particular risk — akin to finding a hair in a room long after a person has left, Dr. Mina said.

Any test with a cycle threshold above 35 is too sensitive, agreed Juliet Morrison, a virologist at the University of California, Riverside. “I’m shocked that people would think that 40 could represent a positive,” she said.

A more reasonable cutoff would be 30 to 35, she added. Dr. Mina said he would set the figure at 30, or even less. Those changes would mean the amount of genetic material in a patient’s sample would have to be 100-fold to 1,000-fold that of the current standard for the test to return a positive result — at least, one worth acting on.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/health/coronavirus-testing.html

Reactions: 50 yd line RR

And the OSU AD will say thanks for be the fool that took him.

Charlotte was in Boone last Saturday to play App State. So far, no word from App State re: new COVID cases on the team as a result of the game. So far....

$$ No way the BIG or SEC is going to let one the big boys lose a game because someone has Covid.
They still have to follow protocol, if members test positive the game will be cancelled.

c2589925add5cebf5dccfc20cf45e213.gif

ADVERTISEMENT