ADVERTISEMENT

15 YEARS Ago Today, the Most Famous Leonard Leap

The pass interference call was ridiculously awful. We got our revenge the next year when they couldn't cross the 50, 45?

Yep, they didn't cross the 50. They also didn't convert a 3rd down the whole game. We led 30-0 at the half, finishing with a 33-0 victory.

Reactions: RUnTeX
I was lucky enough to have been at that game. Met Rollie Massimino at RU tailgate.
Like a dope I missed him

The thing that many don't know about that play is that you could have heard a pin drop after the leap. With the exception of maybe two hundred RU fans, the quietest I have ever heard a visiting stadium.
It was pretty quiet. The one that stands out more was in Knoxville. The Illini fans were never that loud. The Vols went from ear splitting to dead silence when Nate Jones runs back the opening kickoff for a TD

The pass interference call was ridiculously awful.
I forgot that
RU fans were in the sun on a really hot broiling day. Never knew Illinois was so flat and farmy.
Or hot

The one that stands out more was in Knoxville. The Illini fans were never that loud. The Vols went from ear splitting to dead silence when Nate Jones runs back the opening kickoff for a TD

Definitely this. The 100K+ Neyland Stadium silence was deafening...in a beautiful, only a visiting fan can appreciate, kind of way!

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
Definitely this. The 100K+ Neyland Stadium silence was deafening...in a beautiful, only a visiting fan can appreciate, kind of way!

One of my regrets. I had it scheduled. I think there was a hurricane or a tropical storm a day or two before so I cancelled. Ugh!

Gotta have more!

fEXsyDS.jpg

I prefer the Zuttah Hurdle

Ha, forgot all about that!

flying home from Illinois is when GS came up with the “Chop” mantra. That’s what I remember about the significance of that game.

That game was one of the few times I watched a game and threw my remote control at the end in disgust ...and I’ve had lots of reasons to do watching Rutgers football for 45 years...

As much as I remember the Leonard Leep As one of the most athletic football plays I ever saw...I just remember that we had a lot of defensive tackle questions...and this #56 comes in and has a monster game ...and then gets hurt and knocked out the season for the season with an injury

i remember Schiano talking NOTHING about Eric foster the entire preseason 2016 camp ...and yet, off one game, he was named captain as a JUNIOR.

talk about keeping it under wraps ....but it started against Illinois for Eric

Wife and I were on vacation in Jerome, AZ, an artist community type town near Sedona that day. Watched the Leonard Leap and 1st half of the game in a local restaurant before strolling thru town after halftime.

Could not believe that we lost that game at the time. It actually ruined a bit of that vacation day for me.
We were on a family vacation for my mom's 70th birthday party in Charlotte, where my sister's family also lived, so we had a bit party that day, but I got to watch most of the game since the party didn't start until about 3 pm. That leap was so friggin' awesome and I still have no idea how we lost that game. Had to put the happy face on for mom, lol...

Things I remember about that game, it was hot as hell, Ito missing multiple FG's, Clark Harris dropping 3 sure TD passes, & the drive back to NJ was the most depressing drive of my life. The one that got away!

People stopped leaping because players were taught it was dangerous. This recent play reminds why.

Watched in a great sports baŕ in lower Manhattan, Rusty's Garage. Miss that place.

That play/ game was like going out for a walk, finding $500 and then getting slowly run over by a street sweeper as we choked the lead away the rest of the game. I was still on the NJ.com board at the time and was still sore about the previous year and in the game prediction thread I actually made a fairly accurate call, saying we would be up 17-7 in the 3rd and then stall out on offense and lose 24-17 in OT. It's still in my Top 5 Worst/Most Painful Rutgers Losses (alongside '12 UL, '06 and '11 WVU, and the '12 RA Bowl) in that I will go out of my way to avoid watching clips of the game.

Joe P.

Last edited:
Reactions: Plum Street
My most beloved RU player is Tyronne Stowe, then Bruce from Highland Park, and Elnardo Webster. Race has nothing to do with it.
To be honest the last 7 words were not important...could have just left it at Tyrone Stowe , Bruce (Pressley) and Elnardo Webster were my favorite RU players...they were ALL great ... That is the way we make positive change in this world...

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
ADVERTISEMENT