ADVERTISEMENT

--

It’s become increasingly more and more clear that Nick Suriano will not be returning to Rutgers next season. It’s a shame, but he has a desire to chase this Olympic dream and then get into acting/fighting. It also seems like the staff and team have moved on from this notion and are excited with what they see from the youngsters at the bottom of the lineup... I would have loved to see Nick come back and battle for another title, but I guess it’s not our choice to make. The falling out at NJRTC didn’t help. Regardless, I hope Nick’s legacy is remembered in a positive light at RU. His college career was anything but normal, but he did it his way!
Been this way for months... What was the falling out with NJRTC? Why wouldn't/didn't he train there? Sucks that he's moving on but I appreciate that he came here and was our 1st national champ and was also a runner up. He technically could take a regular redshirt next year and return for 2021-22 season but I doubt that's happening.

Even though it's not official, we've all been bracing and preparing for this for months. The writings been on the wall for while and ever since the falling out with the NJRTC/Reece, he hasn't been around. People were always making excuses as to why he wasn't here or there, but it was obvious he was looking for any reason to not be here or training with his teammates at the NJRTC. If the fallout was really as bad as it has been expressed, then there is zero chance that he or his father swallow their pride to come back to RU and deal with the NJRTC guys again. I have no first hand knowledge of this fallout, but obviously i've heard it from multiple people.

With that being said, I can't say I blame the Surianos entirely for this situation/mess. Now, I might have handled it differently but I would expect that the NJRTC would give one of our most prominent athletes ever the respect and consideration he deserves. They might not be the easist people to deal with/appease but we needed to keep him here. He should have been the priority and consulted on who was brought in to train with him. I thought this would be obvious.

This is a classic RU problem where our first NC doesn't even feel welcome or respected in our building anymore. This is the exact opposite of what we need to build up our RTC and it's why the NLWC/RTC is so successful. All of their studs/NCs, want to stay there, train there, and help develop athletes at their school as well. The NJRTC leadership needs to be more aware and handle these situations much more delicately in the future.

Seems like Humphrey screwed Rutgers. He is very loyal to Princeton. He should have discussed bringing Nato with Suriano before doing it. Humphrey is the coach and can bring in who he wants in. But, Suriano is a Rutgers national champ and earned the right to know in advance. Does the SKWC want to be associated with Humphrey if he is in Princeton's corner? Imagine this puts Goodale between a rock and a hard place.

Probably too sensitive for WNG to comment on.

Seems like Humphrey screwed Rutgers. He is very loyal to Princeton. He should have discussed bringing Nato with Suriano before doing it. Humphrey is the coach and can bring in who he wants in. But, Suriano is a Rutgers national champ and earned the right to know in advance. Does the SKWC want to be associated with Humphrey if he is in Princeton's corner? Imagine this puts Goodale between a rock and a hard place.

Probably too sensitive for WNG to comment on.

Also... Princeton and Rutgers are united with NJRTC. Not rivals... It’s great for NJ and the sport and Reece is an awesome coach!

So Reese Humphrey screwed us? Did he consult with Goodale and staff at all? What about Suriano's? How could you not know that this would be an issue? I don't blame Suriano for not wanting to train with NATO but this should've been handled better by all parties, and Suriano should be training at NJRTC and should've returned to Rutgers 2nd semester to win his 2nd national title. Unfuknbelievable

No not too sensitive. I think Reece is pretty fair balancing between Princeton and Rutgers for NJRTC. Princeton funds a large part of the cost. NJRTC is not at Rutgers every day of the week. I have not heard that they wanted to pair Nick with NATO as that makes no sense but I will verify. As I said before Ashnault did not take offensive have Meredith and Kolodzik training in the same room with him as both are his competition for the Last Chance tourney for the last 2 spots for the Olympic trials at 63 kg.

Also... Princeton and Rutgers are united with NJRTC. Not rivals... It’s great for NJ and the sport and Reece is an awesome coach!

PatMineo - if you were around the program and spoke with the wrestlers, you would know where Humphrey's bread is buttered.

Reactions: koleszar
Humphrey didn’t really do anything wrong, let’s just say Nick’s dad is very intense to deal with. Ask PSU, ask all the RU coaches, ask Humphrey.

Reece just wanted to get Nick different looks. I understand both sides but the way they reacted was over the top. And this isn’t the sole reason he’s not coming back, probably not even a big factor.

If it’s not even a big factor, then aren’t you just gossiping?

Pat, is the drama you start in Facebook groups not enough?

we get it, you’re well connected, but what’s the point of gossiping?

Reactions: BDB57
Gossip? These are the facts of what happened. At least I don’t hide behind a screen name like a wimp. LOL​

Gossip? These are the facts of what happened. At least I don’t hide behind a screen name like a wimp. LOL​
Any way you want to slice it Pat, Reece screwed Rutgers intentional or not. Even if the glimmer of hope was slim on him coming back, Reece slammed that door shut. Suriano should have been consulted, he was a member of the NJRTC, not Nato. Reece screwed the pooch here.

Even though it's not official, we've all been bracing and preparing for this for months. The writings been on the wall for while and ever since the falling out with the NJRTC/Reece, he hasn't been around. People were always making excuses as to why he wasn't here or there, but it was obvious he was looking for any reason to not be here or training with his teammates at the NJRTC. If the fallout was really as bad as it has been expressed, then there is zero chance that he or his father swallow their pride to come back to RU and deal with the NJRTC guys again. I have no first hand knowledge of this fallout, but obviously i've heard it from multiple people.

With that being said, I can't say I blame the Surianos entirely for this situation/mess. Now, I might have handled it differently but I would expect that the NJRTC would give one of our most prominent athletes ever the respect and consideration he deserves. They might not be the easist people to deal with/appease but we needed to keep him here. He should have been the priority and consulted on who was brought in to train with him. I thought this would be obvious.

This is a classic RU problem where our first NC doesn't even feel welcome or respected in our building anymore. This is the exact opposite of what we need to build up our RTC and it's why the NLWC/RTC is so successful. All of their studs/NCs, want to stay there, train there, and help develop athletes at their school as well. The NJRTC leadership needs to be more aware and handle these situations much more delicately in the future.
I wholeheartedly agree with this and though we all know the NS camp can be difficult I assumed they already knew that when he came here so maybe a little more respect for our NC woulda been prudent.

Reactions: MS-RU
I will always root for Nick where ever his career takes him.
Nicky pushups is my favorite wrestler in the olympic trials (AA has not made it to them yet)
Olympic trials, MMA and even if he attended another college for his senior year (Unless he was wrestling Rutgers)
He has my gratitude.

Reece Humphreys has been a positive influence on the team. Both Ashnault and Suriano won Championships and he was a part of it (how small or how big can be debated). You cannot make everyone happy.

On a side note: Where else would Nick have gotten the promotion he received at RU? Mobbin Schnaulty and Nicky Pushups were being interviewed almost weekly

Rivera would be an awesome addition but at what weight? Certainly wouldn't sit well with Sammy at 133 unless he wants to redshirt.

Reactions: rubigtimenow

Given what you say about not feeling respected, is that something Goodale whiffed on? Does the school have any influence over a person like Reece? If not, should Rutgers look to set up differently going forward?

NJRTC is separate from RU and is only connected through funding from SKWC not RU. So Scott does have a relationship with Reece and has some say.

PatMineo - if you were around the program and spoke with the wrestlers, you would know where Humphrey's bread is buttered.

I like my bread being buttered.........nice and slow.........lol

giphy.gif

Been this way for months... What was the falling out with NJRTC? Why wouldn't/didn't he train there? Sucks that he's moving on but I appreciate that he came here and was our 1st national champ and was also a runner up. He technically could take a regular redshirt next year and return for 2021-22 season but I doubt that's happening.

I agree. Still hope he comes back but not expecting it.

Natl champs don’t come along every day so even though they might be difficult to deal with if it was me I would swallow my pride and do whatever it takes to mend the fence that’s broken ...now if he was a bad teammate or the rest of the team really didn’t want him back then that’s another story ..

My buddy's son Reed really wanted a picture with him but was too shy to ask. So I took him over and Suriano was really nice even asked Reed if he wrestled. Of course once you get Reed talking about wrestling he won't shut up. Told him how he took 3rd in Junior states last year and how he's going to win it this year.

ADVERTISEMENT