ADVERTISEMENT

1974- JJ Jennings gets drafted by the Toronto Northmen interview !:

Abro1975

Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2009
Found this in a bottle buried in my backyard while digging up a snow killed Arbor Vitae. I'm drinking a Makers Mark Manhatten, enjoying the heck out of this. Unless you are over 60, you probably won't appreciate this time machine treasure:

http://wfl.charlottehornetswfl.com/pages_multimedia/interviews_07.php

PS-does anyone remember JJ played college baseball? I sure didn't , lol

3 interesting JJ Jennings quotes:
HOF: The Southmen opened their WFL season against the Detroit Wheels. 30,122 fans were watching at Memphis' Memorial Stadium. What was your reaction to your first professional game?

JJ: Nervous. I didn't know what to expect. New league, new fans, new everything. After you get hit you forget all of that. We had a good crowd, and I remember Elvis Presley was in the stands. Something came out in the paper that he said I was his favorite player. I scored the first touchdown for the Southmen; I have a picture of it. It was a trap play, we ran that thing all year long, and I walked in untouched.

JJ: It was strange. I was young. I had played against some of the guys, being from the Ivy League (me: RU an Ivy ? lol)

" I grew up watching the New York Titans of the AFL and they used a white football. They called it a "nightball" and it was great to watch that thing go flyin"

NEWWAVEDAVE, YOU OWE ME THE HIGHEST PRICED 'BLUNT' FROM WENATCHEE FOR POSTING THIS. PS- TONY FROM PATTI'S SAYS YOU STILL OWE HIM FOR YOU LAST BEER AND BLACKBERRY BRANDY SHOT ($3.75) !

Last edited:
Reactions: S.W.A.I.N
Rutgers Football's greatest ambassador! No one is more loyal to this program than he is. And one of the best people you will ever meet in your lifetime. His is a good friend to so many of us.

Couldn't agree more ! One of the highlights of every home game, is seeing and chatting with JJ Jennings, who still drives down from Massachussets for every home game (and many away games).

At some point Hobbs and RU should recognize JJ's being such a good ambassador. I just wish they could find Nate Toran (hope he's alive), damn, probably still the best D Lineman who ever played on the banks.

Reactions: WhiteBus
JJ.
"One time after practice at Franklin Field, I climbed up a statue of Ben Franklin and put some wine bottles in his arms, crazy stuff like that. I remember that a Bell player, while we were playing down in Birmingham, threw all the furniture out the hotel window, called down to the front desk and said, "We�ve been robbed!"

For me Philadelphia was more wild and crazy, the team was a bit looser"

At some point Hobbs and RU should recognize JJ's being such a good ambassador. I just wish they could find Nate Toran (hope he's alive), damn, probably still the best D Lineman who ever played on the banks.
They should and should have done it already. But I truly get the feeling he doesnt want the attention. He is very comfortable and proud with his place in Rutgers Football history. I just think he wants to be just one of the Letter Winners gang and not put himself above others. Rutgers still should make the effort.

Reactions: shoprufan
J.J. Jennings was drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs in the 9th round in 1974 but never played in the NFL. Instead, he opted to play for the Memphis Southmen in a new league that began play that summer. The September 18, 1974 Targum noted, “J.J. Jennings was the first Player of the Week in World Football League history, which is both good and bad for Rutgers. While it gives the football program some credibility and prestige, it also means that last season’s national collegiate scoring champ will no longer be wearing the Scarlet uniform.” Jennings’ Southmen had the WFL’s best record at 17-3 but his team lost a trip to the World Bowl by losing a semifinal game. Jennings, however, was one of three MVP’s chosen in 1974. The WFL folded halfway through the 1975 season.

The Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio has an “Other Leagues” section that includes photos, write-ups and memorabilia from the short-lived 1974-75 World Football League. J.J. Jennings’ Memphis Southmen helmet is on display there according to http://wfl.charlottehornetswfl.com/pages_wfl/canton.php a WFL tribute website.
Bell%2074%20Head%20JJ%20Jennings%202.jpg

JJ: "I was drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs in the seventh round. The funny thing is, back then, the team was called the Toronto Northmen, and I loved the city, liked the people. I went up there and was very impressed with the organization, I felt we had one of the best organizations even after when we moved to Memphis. I was really looking forward to playing in Toronto.

JJ:"I loved Toronto. The diversity, the people, then I found out we were going to Memphis. I had played college baseball in Memphis and remembered there was some racial tension and that made me a little nervous about the situation."

I saw him rush for 200 plus against my brothers UMASS team at Rutgers Stadium.

It got to the point where UMASS couldn’t tackle him...men among boys.

I shared a few beers with JJ at a pub in Ann Arbor the night before Rutgers played Michigan a few years ago. Very humble, very interested in hearing what others around him had to say, and very well spoken. And most importantly, he bought a round for the 30 or so Rutgers fans in the pub.

JJ Jennings is one of those names that’s just fun to say.

Seems like the personality matches the name here.

ADVERTISEMENT