ADVERTISEMENT

1978 Garden State Bowl

Reactions: Scarlet_Scourge
It was chilly that night, but we had a blast there. Only a few years after being at Giants Stadium to finish the undefeated 1976 season against Colgate.
Crazy Frank Kush was the Coach for Arizona St. Frank Burns was a very good Coach for Rutgers.

Reactions: Scarlet_Scourge
A little behind the scenes inside stuff: After Hynoski was stopped at the 4 yd line ,we went into goal line formation. Normally Ted Blackwell always carried the ball,behind the fullback ,who led the way. For some reason,perhaps an assistant coach's error,Dave Dorn was the ball carrier. Dorn did not follow his fullback but veered off to the left ,I think, got swatted like a fly and fumbled.Dorn was not the short yardage ball carrier that Blackwell was.The score would have been 17-0 going into the half and the sky would have been the limit.

I attended but then had to get back on the bus and return to Rutgers to continue studying for finals. The students really couldn't take in the whole experience leading up to - and after - Rutgers first post season game.

Some other Garden State Bowl stuff:

* Greg Schiano was present at seven Rutgers post season games.... six as Rutgers head coach and one as a 12 year old attending the 1978 Garden State Bowl.

*The coaches in the 1978 Garden State Bowl were Frank Burns (78-43-1) for Rutgers and Frank Kush (176-54-1) of Arizona State. Both still have the most all-time coaching victories for their respective universities.

*Staff assistant coaches on the undefeated 1976 and Garden State Bowl 1978 Rutgers teams included Ted Cottrell (1974-89) on defense and Dick Curl (1974-80, 83) on offense. Both reunited on the 2003 New York Jets, Cottrell as defensive coordinator and Curl as the tight ends coach.

*Future NY Giants (1981-84) receiver John Mistler was the Garden State Bowl MVP on December 16, 1978 (34-18) and Kyle Carpenter, the offensive MVP of the December 27, 2005 Insight Bowl (45-40). The first post-season MVP from Rutgers was Ray Rice in the 2006 Insight Bowl.

*1st Annual Garden State Bowl
Coaches: Frank Burns (Rutgers) Frank Kush (Arizona State)
Score: Arizona State 34 Rutgers 18
MVP: John Mistler (Arizona State wide receiver)
Time: 1:00 pm EST, Saturday, December 16, 1978
Place: Giants Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ
Tickets: $10-$12
Line: Arizona State favored by 9½
Attendance: 33,402
Payout $165,000
Honorary Captains: none
Sponsor: The New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority

Coverage:
Mizlou Television Sports, U.S.A. Network on 105 affiliates (84% of nation) including WPIX (Channel 11 at 2:00 pm, tape delayed)
Announcers: Mizlou TV (Merle Harmon, Howard David, Al DeRogatis)

Radio:

WCTC (1450 AM) New Brunswick
Announcers: (Tony Marano (play-by-play), Lee Shirvanian (color), Larry Pitt’39 (color) )

WBGO (88.3 FM) Newark
Announcers: (Roger Cohen and Sam Brown)

WRSU (88.7) New Brunswick
Announcers: (students Tony Malanga and Paul Hubert)

Last edited:
It was chilly that night, but we had a blast there. Only a few years after being at Giants Stadium to finish the undefeated 1976 season against Colgate.
Crazy Frank Kush was the Coach for Arizona St. Frank Burns was a very good Coach for Rutgers.

Abro - It was chilly at Giants Stadium on Thanksgiving night in 1976 and we beat Colgate for a undefeated season.........

The 1978 Garden State Bowl was on a sunny Saturday afternoon.

Ooops.

A little behind the scenes inside stuff: After Hynoski was stopped at the 4 yd line ,we went into goal line formation. Normally Ted Blackwell always carried the ball,behind the fullback ,who led the way. For some reason,perhaps an assistant coach's error,Dave Dorn was the ball carrier. Dorn did not follow his fullback but veered off to the left ,I think, got swatted like a fly and fumbled.Dorn was not the short yardage ball carrier that Blackwell was.The score would have been 17-0 going into the half and the sky would have been the limit.

Is Hynoski any relation to Henry Hynoski who played for the Giants and Pitt (I think)??

Is Hynoski any relation to Henry Hynoski who played for the Giants and Pitt (I think)??

Henry's father. I attended the 79 GSB. Couldn't figure out why a Temple-Cal matchup had an Arizona State guy on the cover of the program

Reactions: beaced
I was going to bring this up on Sunday,but the Ledger jumped the gun on me.

I sat downstairs around the 40.Other than the onside kick,the biggest thing that I remember was Malone overthrowing his receivers in the first half.

The program cost $2.It featured a welcoming by Brendan Byrne,ads for Datsun and Merrill Lynch,the new Meadowlands Arena,and a few defunct banks.

Attended with my dad who was very excited RU was in a bowl finally. Was a kid but remember being proud that RU was competing head to head with a big time program. But we did lose. I've experienced a lot of that over the years since.

Abro - It was chilly at Giants Stadium on Thanksgiving night in 1976 and we beat Colgate for a undefeated season.........

The 1978 Garden State Bowl was on a sunny Saturday afternoon.

Ooops.
Made ASU feel at home. Everyone said their speed would kill us, but we held our own, especially David Dorn.
We play 2 bowl games in 27 years and it's against the same opponent. Almost like a home and home too.

Reactions: shields
Made ASU feel at home. Everyone said their speed would kill us, but we held our own, especially David Dorn. We play 2 bowl games in 27 years and it's against the same opponent. Almost like a home and home too.

The longest home-and-home Bowl series in the history of College Football !!

The longest home-and-home Bowl series in the history of College Football !!
They had the same type offense in both games, great QB and receivers. We were a little more explosive the second game. Just came up short, but covered the spread.

Frank Burns was a very good Coach for Rutgers.
If ever there was an understatement, this is it. Frank Burns could make bricks without straw (a bit biblical there). He knew how to play the game and coach it. Made life miserable for Alabama's famed coach one day in Jersey.
If we had him coaching today, we would be competitive.

I was there with my Dad RIP as a 15 year old. We were the 1st if not close to put in for the pseudo Rutgers home game package starting about 1978. Out seats were 2nd row on the 47 in section 131-litetally a few feet behind the visitors bench. The two things I remember are that we got raked on an offsides call as we kicked off the football. Killed our momentum. Also fber an ASU cheerleader got hit in the head with a flying beer bottle and passed out flat. I remember their qb was Marc Malone. Two ironies re Dad .It was our first and only bowl game. Dad passed the day before the Insight Bowl. Would have loved that trip. Also Dad passed on December 26 2005. One year I had extra money and thought it wise to invest in a Hummel plate. Instead I fell in love with a Rockwell plate. The title?-"The day after Christmas "!

Last edited:
If ever there was an understatement, this is it. Frank Burns could make bricks without straw (a bit biblical there). He knew how to play the game and coach it. Made life miserable for Alabama's famed coach one day in Jersey.
If we had him coaching today, we would be competitive.
The BEST thing about Frank was that he was a gentleman and could get things done with CLASS.

Henry's father. I attended the 79 GSB. Couldn't figure out why a Temple-Cal matchup had an Arizona State guy on the cover of the program
So did I . Cold and windy as hell upstairs. Temple played Great. Outstanding blocking by the O line.I felt that they would have been competitive with almost any top team in the country that Day.

I wonder what was on WPIX from 1:00pm-2:00pm that day resulting in the game being on tape delay locally?

I wonder what was on WPIX from 1:00pm-2:00pm that day resulting in the game being on tape delay locally?

It was also tape delayed by an hour on WPVI-TV in Philadelphia. It wasn't a programming decision as much as an agreement not to air the Garden State Bowl in real time... I suppose to encourage attendance over TV watching.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT